Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabutter With Trimmings - Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Jake Ekaj, Aug 25, 2012.

1. #1 Jake Ekaj, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
    Last night I spent hours reading on how to make the perfect Cannabutter. I still have a few questions though since I got so many different information from different sites and people...

1. How much trimmings do you use per LB of butter? I read 1 OZ trimmings per 1 LB butter. I also heard other variations (such as 2oz per 1lb etc...), anyone with experience think that 1oz per 1lb is good?

2. I will be washing my butter so that it tastes better. But I read some people also soak their trimmings in warm water before cooking it with the butter. They let the trimmings soak in water, then dump out the water when its green and repeat to clean out the chlorophyll and what not. After doing that a few times they then start cooking it with the butter.

Now my question is, does this work without losing potency of the trimmings? Also I know some people grind their trimmings before cooking it with the butter... Now I'm guessing if I did this I wouldn't want to grind the trimmings so that I wouldn't lose any fallen off trichomes in the water. So if I did this would I just leave the trimmings as they are, presoak them and clean them, then just cook with them? Would I lose any potency from not grinding the trimmings before cooking with them?

3. How long should I let the cannabutter simmer for? I'm hearing anywhere from an hour to 24 hours... Well what is the best? Everyone is saying something different... I'm thinking 4 hours, think that will be good?

4. How much trimming do you think this is? I need to get a scale haha

[​IMG]

2. Well since no one replied I just went for it... Here's what I did.

1. I didn't have a scale so I just used half a bag (hoping thats an OZ) with 1 LB of butter of the highest fat content I could fine. Put it in the crockpot on setting "Keep Warm" with water.

2. 5 - 5 1/2 hours later I dumped it all onto a big bowl with 4-6 layers of cheesecloth over it. Then wrapped the cheesecloth around all the trimmings and kept squeezing until I couldn't squeeze anymore and got as much liquid out of it as possible.

3. Put the butter into 2 tuppaware containers and put them into the fridge.

I am now waiting for the butter to harden which I will just wait till morning. Wish me luck! I'll post pics and results tomorrow.

This is my first time making butter. I think I actually missed a lot of butter though from missing the bowl when I was pouring and squeezing it everywhere, it was pretty messy. I'm looking to buy a Potato Ricer tomorrow to make this easier. Also I'm debating on washing the butter tomorrow, will I lose potency by doing so? If so how much?

3. #3 Jake Ekaj, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2012
    Not even 1 response, damn...

Well here is the butter I got out of it. No clue how much it is, compressed it down a bit. Will melt and see how much it is in a few or after I go to bed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still debating on washing the butter... If ANYONE has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Is the color of the butter good? I'm thinking it needs to be washed since its so green and to make it taste better. I'm just worried about potency loss from washing the butter and if I even need to do it.

4. When I made my butter it ended up pretty green. I used 77grams of bio mass to 2.5lbs of butter. Very strong.

Attached Files:

5. Well I said screw it and didnt wash the butter. Just put in a batch of brownies. Looks like I got almost 1.5-1.8 cups of butter. Which is almost what I put in to begin with. So they'll be done soon and I'll post pics. Next batch of brownies I do I'll try washing the butter. I myself do not smoke nor get high (plus I'm on probation) but will have a friend test them and see if they are as good/potent as the ones we ussualy buy.

6. I cook my butter on top of water and then it separates while cooling overnight. It seems like the water takes most of the bad taste with it.

View attachment 964867

View attachment 964868

Finished up.
    View attachment 964870

Nice of u to make it for others if u don't use it. I enjoy medicating with edibles, seems to hit harder when they are good. Cannabutter with noodles is my favorite.

7. I used several technics I read online in one method

When I made mine I used a pound of butter and add a amount of water I cant recall of the top off my head and 1oz of bud. Put it all in a pot and had the temp so there were only a couple bubbles boiling for 3 hours. Then I put the whole thing in the fridge for 30 minute to stiffen up. Once stiff I stirred up the plant matter from the bottom to somewhat evenly spread it in the mix then refrigerate overnight.

The next day I poured the separated water out and reheated the butter to remove the plant matter. I couldnt get a cheese cloth so my inner macgyver told me to use panty hose which worked out great.

Overall I got super baked with lots of no bake cookies

8. Thats some good looking butter. It will be pretty leafy tasting but thats the only downside.

9. Pantyhose are way better than any other straining method in my opinion. It's strong and allows you put all the plant matter into it for easy straining. I also put water into my bud and butter to remove some of the plant taste.

10. I made a batch last night, put them in a tuppawear bowl with the lid on threw it in the fridge. Today I noticed they were hard... I subsituted Cannabutter for the vegatible oil, should I add some vegatable oil on top of the cannabutter next time? How do I keep them from going hard so quickly?

11. Why refrigerate? Butter is hard at refrigerator temps isn't it?

12. Im not sure... But I did just notice I actually didnt put a top on the tuppaware, instead i used tinfoil. Im thinking maybe the tinfoil wasnt completely sealed and let air in causing them to go hard. I just made another batch of brownies, put them in a tuppaware bowl WITH a lid. Hopefully this fixes the problem... So you think I shouldn't refridgerate them?

EDIT: By the way Im Jake Ekaj too, just found out i had this account which I made a couple years ago.

13. No need to refrigerate. I just finished eating a batch of brownies made with coconut canna oil from 2 weeks ago today. Stored them individually wrapped in wax paper in a Ziplock bag in my pantry.

14. When making cannabutter with my trim and little buds, I also scrape all the storks outer layer off and use that as well. I read some where that this has a chemical in it which makes the effect last longer. I would agree with this. My butter can still have me buzzing 8 or 9 hours later. I find that I start feeling the effects after about 1 hour but get the full effect after about 2 to 3 hours. I much prefer to ingest rather than smoke.