Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabutter what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by KonfliktxUnlmtd, Jan 24, 2010.

1. me and a friend recently cooked some cannabutter.. we used a half oz and 2 sticks of butter in about 2 and half cups of water.. the guide we used (not on GCC but for the most part says the same thing) said to melt butter and bring to a light boil then add MJ.. we cooked the mj in at light heat for about 1 hr and 15 mins.. then put in fridge for an hour.. after it didnt harden we put it in the freezer for another hour.. then we cooked our brownies (definetly wasnt the hardest part) and ate them.. waited around 30 to 45 mins and ate more.. at that point i knew not to eat any more cause it could all catch up with me at once and make me sick.. but i digress, we had little effects from the brownies like mild numbness and mild euphoria.. this lasted a long time however.. anybody got any suggestions as to what was done wrong? i thought for a minute that everyone is different and maybe my body wouldnt accept it through edibles but thats not very probable considering neither of us noticed anything..

thanks in advance,

2. How was the quality of weed you used? I know using low quality weed can make some potent brownies, if it is to shitty though it still won't do much. I learned this the hard way.

3. while it wasnt anything SUPER high end, it was decent. what we call high mids where i live.

4. Not sure then. I have always used vegetable oil in my brownies though, the one time I tried the butter the same way as you it didn't seem to work for me either.

5. you should slowly melt the butter and then add the weed.
    keep the temp as lowwwww as possible the whole time.

heat releases THC.
    putting the weed into boiling butter could have done the trick.

so my advice is to try slow melting the butter next time.:D

6. Couple of things I can think of...one is 1/2 ounce for 2 sticks of butter is not a very good ratio. Typically I use at LEAST an ounce for 2 sticks, if not more. Also, I didn't see you used any water in your recipe, it needs water so that the butter will separate from the water, leaving the crap behind.

But I really think the reason why your baked goods weren't strong is because you used too much butter and not enough material. Also it may not have bonded to the fat soluables in the butter without the water in the brew.

By FAR the easiest method I've found of making Cannabutter is to use a crockpot.

7. the best way to make cannabutter is a double boiler....have one pot 1/3 way fool with water and have another pot that sits inside that pot.....now you melt your butter with the grinded up weed in the pot with NO water, you do this but heating the water which heats the other pot and slowly melts the butter and extracts the THC....a half oz of some dank was enough to get 6 people absolutely stoned (we consumed one brownie each which was the entire batch)....if its were mids i would do at least 3/4 oz...also the ratio is to 1/2 1 oz per stick of butter depending on quality of bud....time and heat make a big factor in this as well....the longer you simmer the butter and bud the more time thc has to release from the bud and onto the butter...i did 1 hour on low/medium temp seems to work pretty good....

i also took my weed after and looked at it under my microscope and compared to the bud we didnt cook it was washed clean of about 85-90% of the THC....so maybe another 15 minutes and it would have all been extracted to the butter

also edibles have a way different high bc the cannabinoids dont extract with the THC....the high also lasts longer but is not as intense...same with anything that is eaten vs put directly into the bloodstream lol