Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabutter vs Cannoil - Advice, Pls

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by DollyinPink, Jul 24, 2017.

1. #1 DollyinPink, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Hi! Made my first batch of Cannabutter and was surprised to find it came out brown.

I have made Canna oil (MCT) and it came out clear.

While one might say, is this a problem? well, for someone else, possibly not. But for me, i have a "salicylate/phenol" sensitivity and the less plant matter the better. I could not tolerate the MCT oil in larger doses, hence the butter.

Now the butter has way more plant matter as evidenced by my reaction. I can handle most tinctures so this was clearly from the plant matter - it can't be from the ghee. (Right?)

Is there anything i can do besides trying to filter once again to get my butter more clear? (Yes i am a med. user and newbie.) Many tia... <3

PS. I made this in a Magical Butter machine. One more slightly advanced question, if there is a difference in processing (yes, decarbed) bud via oil vs. butter, why would there be this difference? I have tried straining it once in cheesecloth and gotten some particulate matter out, not much though and it is definitely brown vs. the very imperceptibly clear light - to clear light green - of the MCT tincture.

2. Been here done this:

filter this batch thru a coffee filter

next batch consider curing the weed thru the water cure rather than the air cure

water cure washes out the chlorophyll, leaves a crappy but delightful goldy brown

regardless what the young generation says I no longer Decarb mine

but do it in the actual cooking process

good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. thanks, sounds like a good idea.
    if you don't decarb do you still get the bennies? i was doing this on cbd (this time) and yet don't want the "raw" cannabis effect. i actually need to sanitize/purify as much as possible.
    gratefully ... and happy daze!

4. I would look into using coconut oil. I take about 30g of decarbed bud bud and add it to my crock pot with about 14 oz of coconut oil (refined has less taste, I use this.) I set it to low for about 8-10 hours. After it's cooled a bit I filter it through cheese cloth into a mason jar, and refrigerate. You can leave at room temp but it won't last as long, I've kept it in the fridge for a 6 months+.

It taste SIGNIFICANTLY better then using butter. I detest the test of Cannibus, so trust me. Great for brownies as a butter substitute, but I just put a teaspoon+ into my coffee every morning... Mixing with your coffee/tea will provide... the uh cleansing benefit you are seeking. #IBSlife

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Thanks, Dank. Won't help me with my brown butter but for the future...

Who knew butter came out brown??? <grin> Why does anyone use butter? Or is my batch overdone? I followed the instructions, but won't rule out that Magical Butter was optimistic in its directions. or something.

will try the coffee filter suggestion... i agree, oils are looking pretty nice at this point.

6. I've "washed" coconut oil and butter before by warming it so it's in a liquid state, and mixing equal parts water with it and shaking the shit out of it. Put it in the fridge so the butter returns to a solid and dump the water after. You can repeat but the butter will become substantially creamer as it retains a little water each time. It's also not very suited to cooking with (because of the water) and it doesn't take long for mold to grow (water+micro organic material bad.)

I feel your pain, I've totally trashed large batches of edibles before as I was learning, still stings today haha...

7. Oh you spoke truth to my heart there, Dank! It stings! My batch (what happened?!) Oh yes it does sting.

I am resolved to make the best of what i can ... and... if possible learn to make GOOD butter ... and also learn to make better oils.

So.. thanks my friend, I appreciate all your suggestions xo

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tools needed
    1 oven or toaster oven
    1 small stainless steel dish (cat food sized)
    Weed or hash
    Coconut oil
    Lecithin (optional)
    Decarb all cannabis material you plan to eat (240 F for 40 minutes)
    5 grams hash (weed works but substanally weaker oil)
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon lecithin (Soy or Sunflower, Granules, Powder, Liquid it all works)
    Mix hash - weed with oil - lecithin and heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Reheat and your done. Strain weed with garlic press if desired. If hash leave it.
    Additional heat and freeze cycles will degrade more THC to CBN and change it from an acid trip to a couch lock barbiturate effect and a great sleep aid.
    [​IMG]
    This is a triple batch.
    15 grams of dry ice kief
    3 tablespoons of coconut oil
    1 tablespoon lecithin
    Makes 90 (0) sized caps for my little medical issue.
    PS the Magic Butter Machine requires a minimum of 2 cups to run and that's useless for our needs as far as I'm concerned.
    3 tablespoons of oil is my largest batches. :)
    Cannabis doesn't decarb worth a crap after it's submerged in oil and an 8 hour cook just degrades it badly.
    Ruins the taste IMO. Dosen't need all that time either.
    Butter has a low burn point and can go rancid with extended time at room temp.
    Coconut oil has zero flavor-taste and the finished oil when capped has an indefinite shelf life even at room temps.
    BNW
    Hash Master 5000 - Dry Ice Method, Hash Oil Capsules, Everclear Tincture
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

9. Sounds like some fun in store way beyond what i had invisioned only wee hours ago. inspiring!

and thank you, this all looks so interesting, esp. since i am at the start of my learning curve. I look forward to following some of these links.

xo

• Like Like x 1
  10. @DollyinPink
    Here is Kat's thread that much of my work is based off of.
    BadKats CannaPharm: Medical Grade Oil, Cannabis Capsules, UV GLOWING Hash Candy, Canna Bombs more
    I'm not much of a cook so I stripped out the hash oil steps she outlines and that is what my oil is.
    BNW

• Friendly Friendly x 1