Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabutter recipe no smell

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by WhiteSpiderman, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Hey guys, I have recently wanted to make cannabutter but I am wondering if there is a foolproof way to do so without producing any smell. I have about 7 hours to make it and get rid of the smell. I have seen one where you put a mason jar in the oven but that sounds like the glass might explode....idk...thoughts?

2. To be honest..I've never had any serious odor issues that lasted longer than 1hr. With the bulk of the odor coming from the decarboxylation process. The odor from the extraction process has always been very minimal and only detectable within a few feet of the pot. I generally make butter in half lb. batches. Maybe I just haven't been making enough for it to be an issue for me.
    Or my nose could be jacked up...

3. Does decarbing it make the butter more potent? in other words is it really necessary?

4. Yes...it makes WORLDS of difference in potency! I wouldn't recommend making any edible without this process. 

Decarboxylation is the reaction process where your cannabinoids drop a carboxyl group and become active. For most, this process usually takes place as your bud burns during a session. Example; THC-A becomes THC, which is psychoactive. THC-A is not. So on and so forth for the other cannabinoids.

Now I've heard that this may vary based on the dryness/age of the bud/material. To my understanding, the MJ can ditch those carbon atoms over time through natural drying. We just use the heat/air combo to speed the process up. But either way...DECARB, DECARB, DECARB. I think it's one of the most overlooked steps in the process...