Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabutter question

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by cannabutterking, Aug 28, 2012.

1. So I've been making cannabutter and oil for edibles for awhile now and I always just simmer the finely ground bud in the butter and strain it.
    The question is does anyone think it would be more effecient to make hash oil first using the everclear extraction method? If so would I decarb the bud before putting it in my everclear or is that not necessary?
    And could this be eaten alone or should it be mixed with butter. In the thc pill recipes I don't believe they decarb before extraction but I know they mix it with the oil this is to aid digestion of the thc correct?

2. How thick of an oil are you thinking about? Are you talking about making an Ethanol hash oil concentrate from weed or an oil, like coconut, using hash instead of weed in the processing? Both seem to be used for "hash oil" interchangeably but have completely different meanings.

First, some people say that the Everclear will decarb while others say no. Who do you believe? Unless you go crazy with it, decarbing before the ethanol can't hurt. In some cases where you want more cbd and cbn, you purposely degrade the thc. Less psychoactive but more narcotic. If you are wanting to make an ethanol based concentrated oil that could be be smoked or ingested, you are probably thinking about lecithin that is added to improve the bioavailability of the oil. A concentrated oil may mostly pass through your system without much absorption unless combined with a more digestible fat. Coconut oil is one of the best carries around and is rapidly absorbed. Combined with lecithin.

Another way to use an ethanol wash is to transfer the thc from the ethanol to the butter or oil or whatever your recipe calls for. It is a quick and easy way to make a cannabutter that is smooth and clear and tastes like real butter and not chlorophyll. The same process can be used to make any oil, glycerin, pain cream and you can easily adjust strength. Here's a couple of examples of that.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/1098736-different-way-budder.html
    http://forum.grasscity.com/incredib...-goes-psychedelicsams-magic-honey-elixir.html

I don't know if this helps but there it is. :D

3. Dude much thanks that exactly what I wanted its great to know I can make my butter without the taste of chlorophyll and other plant matter I've been thinking about switching over to making the hash oil first then butter but couldn't find much on it in my research. I'm just planning on doing the alcohol extraction and using it in the butter I can't get cc oil near me no health food stores.

And yes lecithin is what I was thinking of if you added say a small amount to your butter or oil would it still help in bioavailability in the same way or does the butter do a good enough job on its own?

4. I use the alcohol extraction, or Green Dragon, as a base for all my edibles. The thc transfer is really simple and quick. The Dragon stays good forever and is really economical in a good quantity. 2 fl oz of the ethanol extract will infuse a half cup of butter at a potency of a quarter oz of dank or more and there's no losing anything from the strain and no weed taste.

Lecithin is used in many foods as an enhancer and would be good in the butter, helping to even out absorption during digestion. I know that generally a half teaspoon of lecithin granules or powder to 1 fluid ounce of some oil and I would use the same ratio for butter. If you need 1 stick, you would add no more than 2 teaspoons of lecithin. One stick is 4 fl oz. You can add the lecithin while the butter is warm, either while the alcohol extraction is transferring to the butter or after it has dissipated. However, I do not recommend adding the lecithin to the alcohol extraction alone. The reason for that is you may want to take some of the alcohol extraction down to a smokeable oil or hash. If there is lecithin in the extraction you won't be able to smoke it without serious damage to your lungs.:)

5. [quote name='"PsychedelicSam"']

I use the alcohol extraction, or Green Dragon, as a base for all my edibles. The thc transfer is really simple and quick. The Dragon stays good forever and is really economical in a good quantity. 2 fl oz of the ethanol extract will infuse a half cup of butter at a potency of a quarter oz of dank or more and there's no losing anything from the strain and no weed taste.

Lecithin is used in many foods as an enhancer and would be good in the butter, helping to even out absorption during digestion. I know that generally a half teaspoon of lecithin granules or powder to 1 fluid ounce of some oil and I would use the same ratio for butter. If you need 1 stick, you would add no more than 2 teaspoons of lecithin. One stick is 4 fl oz. You can add the lecithin while the butter is warm, either while the alcohol extraction is transferring to the butter or after it has dissipated. However, I do not recommend adding the lecithin to the alcohol extraction alone. The reason for that is you may want to take some of the alcohol extraction down to a smokeable oil or hash. If there is lecithin in the extraction you won't be able to smoke it without serious damage to your lungs.:)[/quote]

Awesome man this is great Info taking notes. Lol so you just evaporate the alcohol while your heating it in the butter not before? I think I read in one of your posts you did just making sure. And thanks again man!

6. When I first make my alcohol extraction I don't consider it ready for use until it's been reduced to what I consider a respectable potency. I generalize that as about 1 dropper per dose. It may really be half a dropper but I always err on the side of caution. At a dropper, there's about 40 droppers or a little more per fluid ounce. In my butter recipe I used 2 ounces of the alcohol extraction with 4 ounces of butter. If I had used 1:1 ratio and used 4 ounces of GD, it would only have taken crumbs to get off. At 1:2 extract/butter, the cookies I made were just right. The strongest and best I've ever made. I made 20 cookies with the equivalent of an eighth oz of weed. I expect they'll be half cookie for most folks.

And yes, you read correctly. After adding your the alcohol extract to the melted butter, you heat until the alcohol has evaporated and transferred the thc to the butterfat. When the alcohol is all gone, you're ready to bake and get baked.:smoke:

7. Thanks man! that's some potent cookies! How long do you soak your plant matter in your solvent? I've read anywhere from shaking it an hour to letting it sit in a cabinet for a few weeks

8. I use a freezer process. I freeze my weed and Everclear separately for 24 hours, combine and shake for fifteen minutes. Put the mix back in the freezer for another 4 hours and shake again. I then strain and filter it and then do another run with fresh alcohol. After I've strained and filtered the second run, I combine the alcohol from both and reduce it by half. This gives me about 12-14 fl oz of concentrated Dragon. I use an ounce of top trim and popcorn buds which I pay about 50 bucks for, all top shelf strains, so it's well worth making a quantity at a time. Having a lot on hand makes it easy to make whatever you want without having to go through the mess of making butter or oil each time, all the straining and the mess. Using an ounce for 12 ounces of final product, that's about 2.3g/fluid oz and you would figure out how much to dilute for the potency you desire.

I should add that I always decarb first.:D

9. Awesome man much apprecited. Making my first butter with the dragon today ill let you know how it turns out! Today's breakfast cannabutter cinnamon toast. Delicious...

10. That was fast. Did you already have the GD on hand?

11. Got the bud and everclear in the freezer should be ready round this time tomorrow. I would post pics but I'm almost over on my data lmao :-/.

12. #12 cannabutterking, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012
    I decarbed lastnight and since I dindnt know you froze for 24 hrs now I'm pushing it off till tomorrow got everything in the freezer though. I try to keep my sources close lol ten fifteen minutes I got front door delivery to :).

Idk why at first glance I thought you meant good dank by GD lmao...

13. No I didn't have it made I had leftover everclear from some trash can punch we made so I had everything I need at hand. I can't wait to get some lecithin powder I wanna do a side by side run with it and see first hand the differences. Hell maybe even start a thread on it lol.

14. In everything I've read about the freezer method, a minimum 24 hours of freezing of each component separately is a common thread. Some just use that 1 shake, others will shake every few hours for 2 days. No heat touches the plant material at all. I like to compromise with the 24 hour then 4 hour shakes. The only heat comes into play when you reduce the Dragon for potency and then, in this case, transfer to the butter.

Save your plant material and do another run with fresh alcohol the exact same way. You'll get about the same amount of GD of equal potency as the first. I now combine the GD from both runs before I concentrate it and that gives me twice the amount of concentrated extraction for just another day of waiting. That way I've already got all my equipment set up and I'm able to keep some on hand to use as needed for a quick transfer. Whether single or double run, I strive for a minimum 2 grams per fluid ounce for a really effective extraction, although you can concentrate it even further for special projects.

Definitely make note of any differences you see between lecithin and non. There have already been some lively discussions about lecithin and just how effective it was. :D

15. Glad I read this first cause I would have gotten up tomorrow and put it all in the solvent lol I seperated half the solvent to another container just so I don't forget.

16. Here's another handy tip. Do not reduce your alcohol extraction anywhere near an open flame like a gas stove or joint and have plenty of direct ventilation. It shouldn't take long, anyway.

17. [quote name='"PsychedelicSam"']

Here's another handy tip. Do not reduce your alcohol extraction anywhere near an open flame like a gas stove or joint and have plenty of direct ventilation. It shouldn't take long, anyway.[/quote]

I know this one already I made GD once before I started making butter I used a double boiler it took like six hours to ruduce down and it was almost done so I stepped out for a cig. Needless to say I boiled the water over into the GD. I'm just gonna let it evaporate outside this time I think. ( I was in an apt. first time I made gd, it stunk up half the complex I had people in the next building complaining.)

18. I think you'll find this method of making a potent GD quite fulfilling. However, you will need to use a gentle heat when transferring the thc from the Dragon to the butter. I live in an apartment and have no problem with the smell. Since you're only dealing with alcohol and not plant material it shouldn't have much smell at all. The ventilation is there only because the alcohol fumes can be explosive, not to dissipate the weed smell because it's not there. :D

19. When I made gd before I didn't use the freezer or decarb and it sat for like two weeks before I strained it that batch stunk pretty bad and the alcohol fumes choked me up a little even with my balcony door wide open. I would imagine freezing it helps keep the plant matter out which is probably why the batch I made smelled so bad. I think its gonna be awesome thank you again for all the help!

20. The alcohol vapors will choke you up and can cause lung problems when concentrated. If you use an electric stove, be sure to have your vent on and have a regular fan blowing on it. But I can't stress enough, no gas or other flames. The fan will help speed up the evaporation, too. You wouldn't necessarily need to use heat to concentrate the GD if you're patient, but the gentle double boiler heat is imperative with the butter to guarantee a successful transfer.

If you don't mind my asking, what is your weed/alcohol ratio?