Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabutter potency and guar gum?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by emt1581, Dec 9, 2020.

1. We've had blueberry and sex bud in mason jars since our last grow last year and want to do something with it. We were going to chuck it but another couple suggested making cannabutter. I would do two seperate batches (one for each strain) and it looks super simple. However, in our researching of recipes (and recipes for gluten free cannabis baked good recipes)....came across a video of a woman mixing in some guar gum to smooth out the consistency instead of it ending up like wax. She said it also spreads out the thc much more evenly/effectively. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, in terms of potency, is there a range of how much flower to mix in per stick or per pound of butter? I'm guessing adding 6oz. of flower to a pound of butter would not yield good results. I see mostly 1/4oz-1/2oz per pound of butter but that's just going by vids. What is advisable for a pleasant experience?

Lastly, I did take a college course on medical marijuana and learned from it that edibles can be very hard to dose given the distribution of ingredients in a recipe. Depending on how potent the mixture...I plan on taking a bite of whatever we make...waiting 10-15min to see how I feel....take another bite....wait.... and keep doing that until reaching the desired effect. Sound good or is there a better alternative?

Thanks!

2. I live on edible oil Capsules and have for 8 years now so I have a really good grasp on making good oil and how they affect you and how long it takes for edibles to kick in.

First lets talk oils. Butter is actually one of the worst as it contains some 15% water at least the USA stuff does. Butter as well as 99% of all cooking oils take a full 2 hours to reach full effect. This is because they all need 40 minutes in your stomach with Bile to break down enough to move to your Liver where the Magic happens.

Coconut oil
    And to a lesser degree Palm oil and mixed MCT oils don't need that 40 minutes in your stomach and speed straight to your Liver and your ripped in 45 minutes flat. So use Coconut oil.

Lecithin
    Is used in many foods and Medications for it's improvement in bioavailability. Less sugar seems just as sweet. Less medicine does just as effective a job. We find the same to be true with edible cannabis.

Liver.
    Your Liver does this neat trick of changing Delta-9-THC into it's much stronger brother compound 11-Hydroxy-THC. 5 times stronger and 10 times longer lasting then smoked Cannabis.

Always decarb all forms of cannabis before use in cooking for edibles to activate it
    240 F for 40 minutes uncovered

BadKats Hash-Coconut oil-Lecithin recipe is what I've used for 8 years as it's a good as it gets.
    Dead simple to make and very predictable in strength once you find your required dose.

5 grams of Decarbed Kief or Hash or Powdered Buds or Concentrate.
    1 tablespoon Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin
    Combine
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Done

Hash or Kief 1 drop = 3mg
    Powdered buds 1 drop = 1mg

Finding your dose. This applies to all edibles. Always make the same strength and you'll always know what to expect. To much edible is hours of misery.

Take 10mg and wait 2 full hours
    if not stoned
    Take 20mg more and wait another 2 full hours
    if not stoned
    Take 40mg more and wait another 2 full hours
    Continue doubling and waiting until your to fucked up to stand or walk. Keep track of how much it takes and now you have a baseline for the next trip to start from.
    Start early in the day as this can take hours before you launch and you'll be high for another 8 hours after the last dosing.

[​IMG]

I make my oil with dry ice kief and fill capsules with it.
    The same exact recipe works for cooking you just add the finished tablespoon of high strength canna oil to the cooking oil your recipe calls for and blend the oils well. Add the dry bits and cook normally.

This small batching incorporates the Lecithin to it's best advantage and really bring up the power per milligram of herb used.

Full tablespoon of oil
    Kief-Hash = 2500mg
    Powdered Buds = 750mg

[​IMG] triple batches shown
    3 tablespoons of oil
    15 grams of Kief per dish.

[​IMG]
    I make up a few 1 drop capsules for new users to find that sweet spot with. 3mg each drop-capsule.[​IMG]
    take 1
    wait
    take 2
    wait
    take 4
    wait
    ect.

BNW

3. Wow!! Thanks for sharing all the pics and info!!

First off, where do you order empty capsules and are they simple to fill?

Second, we only have flower. I'll re-read what you shared but you mentioned other forms.

Third, so with edibles the way you laid it out, it'll take around two hours to feel the effects?? We've only ever smoked/vaped. Plus she has a salve and tincture she uses.

Thanks!!

4. 1oz of quality flower will yield excellent results and potency in 1lb of butter.
    Be sure to de carb it first. I currently have a 1/2lb of hash butter I made. It’s potent. I only used 4g of good quality black hash which typically has twice the thc rating as flower.
    Butter can be put on bread or used in baking. It’s pretty versatile.

5. Does it take one bite and two hours to kick in for you? Thanks!