cannabis use

Discussion in 'General' started by The Audion, Dec 4, 2011.

1. A luxury? Sociologists say that drug use is associated with lower class, lower income socio-economic groups, but I think we would all agree that smoking weed is something of a luxury.

discuss.

2. Of course it's a luxury...all drugs are.

While we sit here high, trying to get a better understanding of our reality, somewhere there's a hungry child who would give anything to escape reality, and who are we to judge them for it? I used to think drug use in the pursuit of knowledge was different than drug use for the sake of escapism but I realized that both of these things essentially come from the same source - a dissatisfaction with one's current brain chemistry. We all seek to alter our consciousness in one way or another throughout our days, be it through drugs or through any number of other experiences. We get very bored when our brain stays in one state for too long. All drug users use drugs as an escape in some sense, be it an escape from pain or an escape from the norm.

3. I would consider it a luxury. But hell, even the lower class has tons of luxuries.

Toilet paper, there you go, thats a luxury.

4. Maybe it is something that is supposed to transcend class in order to evolve society beyond this archaic stratification.

5. yeah i agree. it is a luxury to smoke dankity dank when everyone else is smoking shit, too.

6. hahaha tbh i started smoking weed in 16 for a hipster reason.

at the time i wasn't aware that other people at high school were smoking too and I thought i was being different for doing so :p lol.

7. People used to think of smoking tobacco as a luxury.[​IMG]

Now people think of this

[​IMG]

Not so luxurious anymore.

8. I think what it comes down to do is that everything we have here in the "first world" (for lack of a better term) is a luxury.

9. #9 The Audion, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011

That chick in the first pic is hot.

And its still a luxury. So is alcohol. So is every drug I think.

10. Oh, I see what you're saying. If you are wealthy and you're drinking, it makes drinking a luxury by association.

[​IMG]
    But when someone who is not wealthy is drinking, it is low class by association.
    [​IMG]

11. #11 The Audion, Dec 4, 2011
    Did this thread strike a chord with you or something dude? You're putting words in my mouth.

Btw the obvious difference there is the naked dude is clearly a drunk. Recreational alcohol use is a luxury. Alcoholism is a disease. It has nothing to do with class.

12. fellow blades,

of course this question is based on what you view a 'luxury' as. For my premise i will assume that luxury in this case means a tool to alleviate one's extent of living. Then I think herb is the best form of luxury and a privilege. Have you ever been so stoned in public and you see another fellow man who is also in a similar state of mind and you instantly view that individual with the thought 'where have you been the whole day my friend?' I remember countless times in high school when I would go to a class stoned to see another kid stoned and it would be a feeling of exclusivity. Therefore I will say Yes, smoking herb is definitely a luxury.

A short answer would be Yes, herb is a luxury because it costs dollars.

13. [​IMG]

14. #14 The Audion, Dec 4, 2011
    this is why we can't have nice things!!!

Honestly you brought up points that were more thought provoking than my OP. Touche to you sir.

15. Alrighty, recreational cannabis use is a luxury and being a pothead is a disease which has nothing to do with class.:)

16. One definition of Luxury being "free or habitual indulgence in or enjoyment of comforts and pleasures in addition to those necessary for a reasonable standard of well-being"
    then FUCK YEAH IT IS! And it should be, cause, well, I don't say it enough but, Weed, I love you <3.

17. Luxury is like the very definition of Epicureanism.