Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis use leads to gum disease?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by ryanvolta, Feb 6, 2008.

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7226969.stm
    \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\tHeavy cannabis use 'damages gums'

\t\t\t\t
    \t\t\t
    \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t \t\t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t \t\t<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="203"> \t\t\t<tbody><tr><td> \t\t\t \t\t\t\t[​IMG] \t\t\t\tGum disease is widespread in the adult population
    \t\t\t
    \t\t\t</td></tr> \t\t</tbody></table> \t\t \t \t Heavy cannabis smoking is a major cause of gum disease, research suggests.

An international team tracked the dental health of 1,000 people born in Dunedin, New Zealand, in 1972 and 1973.
    They found heavy cannabis smoking was responsible for more than one-third of the new cases of gum disease among the group by the age of 32.
    The Journal of the American Medical Association study follows work linking cannabis use to mental health problems, and lung disease.
    \t \t \t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t\t<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="208"> \t\t\t\t<tbody><tr> \t\t\t <td width="5">[​IMG]</td> \t\t\t <td class="sibtbg"> \t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t \t\t \t\t\t[​IMG] \t\t\tIn the mouth, there is a fine balance between tissue destruction and tissue healing and the various toxins in the smoke disrupt that \t\t[​IMG]
    \t
    \t \t
    \t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \tProfessor Murray Thomson
    University of Otago

\t\t\t \t\t\t </td> \t\t\t </tr> \t\t\t\t</tbody></table> \t\t\t\t \t\t\t \t\t\t \t

Gum disease, one of the most common diseases of adulthood, is the second most common cause of tooth loss, after tooth decay.
    It has long been linked to cigarette smoking, but this is the first study to look specifically at cannabis.
    The researchers accepted that cannabis users also tended to smoke tobacco.
    However, they said that even after allowing for this, heavy cannabis smokers had three times the risk of having established gum disease by the age of 32.
    Even cannabis users who did not smoke tobacco developed gum disease.
    Overall, 29% of the sample showed some signs of gum disease.
    Bloodstream toxins
    Lead researcher Professor Murray Thomson, of the University of Otago, said the effect was unlikely to be due to the direct impact of smoke on the gums as it was inhaled.
    Instead, it was likely that toxins in the cannabis were absorbed into the bloodstream via the lungs, and then affected the body's ability to heal inflammation in the gums caused by the build up of bacteria on the teeth.
    He said: "The problem is not the smoke itself - it's what is in the smoke.
    "In the mouth, there is a fine balance between tissue destruction and tissue healing and the various toxins in the smoke disrupt that."
    The fact that cannabis users tend to inhale more deeply than tobacco users might also exacerbate problems.
    For the study heavy cannabis users were defined as those who used the drug for an average of at least 41 occasions a year between the ages of 18 and 32.
    Susie Sanderson, of the British Dental Association, said: "It has long been recognised that smoking tobacco is a cause of gum disease.
    "This study underlines the fact that gum disease can be caused not only by smoking tobacco, but also by smoking cannabis."
    The research team also included scientists from King's College London, Duke University and the University of North Carolina.
    Research published earlier this year found people who smoked one cannabis joint a day had a higher risk of lung cancer than those who smoked 20 cigarettes a day.
    A separate study found that bullous disease - a form of emphysema - occurs 20 years earlier in cannabis smokers than in tobacco smokers.

2. I kinda wanna call BS on that one...

3. i haerd that on the news this morning. id say it may be semi-true, or at least not out of the question.

4. the BBC and Lancet have had an influx of articles bashing mary in the last year. It seems like there's an agenda, so I stopped trusting them 100%.

Besides, who the hell wants to trust a British article related to tooth-care? No offense to our brit-blades out there, but there's sorta a stereotype surrounding that situation, hehe.

5. Mo'fuckas need to brush they damn teeth!

6. To think that cannabis is totally harmless is fairly naive. I brush my teeth alot so im not worried about it. I'm not surprised to see SMOKE doing damage to your gums.

7. I agree with you on your first point. Most people get caught up and think that its IMPOSSIBLE to have any negative effects.

But, it wasn't the smoke doing the damage, the scientists thought that it was toxins from the smoke going through your bloodstream and getting to your gums.

8. smoke is smoke at some point.
    The study doesn't give a figure of how much more MJ smokers are at.
    I would guess its minute but once again smoke is smoke and I can accept the damage that this does to my body much more than if I smoked cigarettes.
    Its far more worth the damage. Or maybe is a live hard die young mentality similar to that of cigarette smokers only different. Who knows, I confuse myself.

9. If your gonna worry bout what MJ is gonna do to you physically in the long run...

2 words

JUST QUIT. (or stop being a pussy)

10. Haha, "The Big Book of British Smiles"!!!!!
    [​IMG]

But seriously, I have no reason to doubt this study however it seems like they need to do more research before anything definitive is agreed upon.

11. Who's worrying? No need to call anyone a pussy for showing y'all a relevant news article.

12. I don't know if people realize how easy it is to get gum disease. There are so many variables to a study like this or anything to do with the mouth. So I wouldn't believe any study of this sort ESPECIALLY from a government(they fund studys and tell them they want X results). In fact my dentist always tells me how strong my gums are and I openly tell him I smoke bud and only bud. So if anything it's probably a good prevention. And to all you people saying smoke is smoke. That is a very naive statement, although by sight thats an easy conclusion to come up with. But all smokes are not equal and not even close. The only similarity is how to get smoke from a material, not the contents.

13. News is Irellevant.

14. ...so a little less than once a week is considered "heavy use" now?

15. Brush your teeth regularly problem avoided

16. yea that doesnt seem right at all

not even once a week for 14 years?

ive heard of people smoking 41 times a DAY, for 14 years that are 110%fine

haha
    more government bullshit

17. guess wat kids
    dont smoke cigs
    brush ur teeth
    and ur all good thats all