Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

cannabis tincture for external use

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by amybueno, Feb 14, 2011.

1. We make our medicine with strains containing high levels of CBD for pain relief. Usually prepared with 190 proof everclear, which gets a strong extraction from the plant material, this tincture is something we ingest. However, a friend told me that fresh leaves contain high quantities of CBD, so I got a bag of prunings from a friendly cannafarmer to test that information. I decided to try a topical, external rub using rubbing alcohol because I didn't want to risk wasting a bunch of 15$ a quart everclear. Fresh leaves blended with rubbing alcohol to a coarse puree, then left to meditate in a dark cupboard for two weeks. Shake occasionally during this time. Strain out the plant material through cheesecloth, but save the ball in the freezer for an awesome, therapeutic poultice. The tincture I poured back into the bottle the rubbing alcohol originally came in and we use this as a muscle rub. Great analgesic properties and a good way to use a portion of the plant that isn't much good for anything else.
    BE SURE TO CLEARLY LABEL THIS AS "EXTERNAL USE ONLY" BECAUSE INGESTING RUBBING ALCOHOL WILL MAKE YOU TERRIBLY ILL>
    Although I store our edible tinctures in amber glass, this topical tincture was basically "free" to make at a cost of 99 cents for a quart of rubbing alcohol and nothing for the leaves, so I didn't bother.
    Is anyone else making external medicines? Next I want to prepare a salve.

2. My friend makes a pretty nice salve using his oil and various "body butters" shits nice. Doesnt get you high, but its really nice on chapped lips (makes them numb) or muscle pain (rub it on the area and within 30 mins you can already feel the pain loosening up and disappearing). Not sure what all is in it, but i know it involves Shea butter, and coconut oil as well as the hash oil hahahaa

3. That's great to know- the recipe I have uses safflower oil, but I can't find a cold pressed one and I won't use one that is heat and hexane extracted. The coconut oil is a perfect idea for me- the instructions are to make cannaoil-I use my crockpot-then strain it and melt with beeswax. Proportions are 2 ounces beeswax for every 1.25 cups of cannaoil. You can add essential oils for the aromatherapeutic effect or not as you prefer. I am going down to the food co-op today to get a pint of coconut oil. Cheers!

4. Well my friend extracts hash oil, then makes the salve and mixes them together using heat, and cools it back to its semi-solid form.

5. You can use my glycerin tincture as an external analgesic.

6. Hows that work out? Ive never tried it and i imagine it being quite a sticky situation? Or doesnt it rub in? hahaha my friend (who makes the salve) also makes glycerin tinc and ive never even thought it would work that way hahaha, may have to try it out if its not sticky, i cant handle sticky shit tho

7. Yeah it gets a little sticky, but it really can help.

8. My spousal unit makes a cold extracted coconut oil, which is great on everything from chicken to dry feet.:)

9. Do you use heat to extract with glycerin? I read a recipe for a cold extraction, but the glycerin is so thick I can't see how that works? I only made one batch and I used my little crock pot. It wasn't as strong an extraction as the one using 190 proof grain alcohol, but that one is too good to waste rubbing it onto your skin.

10. Ahem - check my signature out on how I make a glycerin based tincture.

11. That is a very clear recipe- thanks! Time to head down to the food co-op to buy some glycerin! Although my alcohol tincture is very strong, I have a number of people who want a non-alcoholic version so this is perfect.
    I have an amazing book called Making Plant Medicine by Richo Cech, and he recommends using a little vinegar in with the alcohol to draw out the highest yields of medicinal properties. Alcohol dissolves out the fats, alkaloids, fixed and essential oils, resins, glycosides and sesquiterpenes out of dry herbal matter, but some 5% acidity vinegar apparently causes a chemical reaction allowing more of the alkaloids to be available to the solution. This is called an acetous tincture. I wonder if vinegar with glycerin would help the glycerin draw off a greater quantity of medicinal substances? Time for a few small test batches!:D

12. Well, since my tincture is designed for ingestion, I wouldn't dare put vinegar in the mix, can't imagine what that might taste like...

13. I had a raspberry honey vinaigrette cannabis infused salad dressing that was pretty good. I think the cannabis was infused into the honey though...:confused:

14. I am going to make a pint batch of tincture for ingestion using vinegar to test out the theory. THC is an alkaloid and if vinegar makes more of the active principles and alkaloids emerge into the tincture, I am all for it! The basic recipe I have for an acetous ticture using dry herbs is: 100g ground dry plant matter, 250ml apple cider vinegar, 250 ml everclear.
    I don't know how glycerin reacts with vinegar so I am hesitant to go there

15. Hi

I have been using my vaped weed to make brownies, chocolate, cup cakes ect ect normally giving a very strong body high

few days ago I ground 60G of vaped weed (all original expensive high grade still with greenish colour) and added it to a bottle of Sailor Jerry Rum as per Stoner Jerry (Sailor Jerry Rum Tincture)

would there be any benefit rubbing the tincture on the skin for pain relief example backache and muscle pains ext?

I ask for my mums back/ hands

has never and would never smoke, (she thinks the vape is still smoke :rolleyes:)

eating for the first time would put her off if to strong,

but im sure she would try a rum rub -lol