Cannabis: the scientific evidence against it

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by mr scuba, Jan 21, 2014.

1. This angers me so much! Yellow journalism is still our enemy.

\tCannabis: the scientific evidence against itThe news that cannabis could soon be available on the NHS and has been reclassified as a 'Class C' drug has left many people confused about the health risks and benefits of this drug.
    To find out the truth about cannabis, here, we look at the scientific evidence against it
    \nTHE EVIDENCE AGAINST CANNABIS
    • Teenagers who smoke cannabis are more likely to develop mental illness
    Recent studies suggest cannabis users are at least six times more likely than non-users to develop schizophrenia
    A study, published in the British Medical Journal, found that one in ten people who used cannabis before the age of 15 developed schizophrenia by the age of 26. This compared to three per cent of those teenagers who did not use the drug.
    Another study carried out by experts at Australia's Institute of Victoria showed that teenage girls who used cannabis were more likely to suffer depression and anxiety than other adolescents. Daily use of cannabis was linked to a five-fold increase in risk, while those who took the drug weekly doubled their chances of developing the illness.
    \n• Smoking cannabis is more harmful to your lungs than cigarettes
    Just three cannabis 'joints' a day can cause the same amount of damage to lungs as an entire packet of 20 cigarettes, according to the British Lung Foundation. The foundation found that tar from cannabis joints contain 50 per cent more cancer-causing toxins than cigarettes from tobacco alone.
    Worse still, users tend to inhale four times more deeply than with tobacco leading to higher levels of respiratory conditions such as bronchitis. Other studies show that benzyprene, found in the tar of cannabis joints, can change the makeup of one of the genes that suppresses tumours and could therefore make cancer more likely for people who smoke joints.
    \n• Marijuana is as addictive as other drugs.
    Drugs such as heroin, cocaine and alcohol trigger a surge of chemicals in a particular area of the brain known as the 'pleasure centre'. Experts say this is the hallmark of an addictive substance. Animal experiments have now found that cannabis also produces a surge of chemicals in the same area, leading to claims that the drug must be more addictive than previously thought. However, critics say there are many non-addictive drugs that also stimulate this chemical surge.
    \n• Cannabis can affect users' memory and concentration.
    A recent study carried out by America's John's Hopkins University found regular users of cannabis - those who smoked up to 12 joints a day, even after abstaining for a month - performed worse in mental agility tests than those who only smoked once or twice a day.
    The researchers concluded that cannabis use can cause similar changes to those after a brain injury. Another study by psychologists at America's Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University found that long-term marijuana smokers - those who had smoked for an average of 24 years - had shorter attention and memory spans than short term users; those who had smoked for ten years or less.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-166903/Cannabis-scientific-evidence-it.html#ixzz2r0vKgILb 
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

2. Seems like research was done by people who have never smoked cannabis themself.

3. Or it's false comparisons fueled by propaganda that don't meet peer review standards

4. Jesus, even when I was growing out in Cali I didn't smoke 12 joints a day... and while Cannabis does indeed contain more carcinogens than cigarettes, you don't smoke nearly as much of it as you do cigarettes. Plus its not the tobacco itself that does the serious damage, it's all the shit that they add into it.
    As for 'addiction,' people can be addicted to anything. Shopping, McDonald's, television, freaking SHOES!

Didn't they teach us in school when we did research papers to include references / a bibliography? I love mystery studies done by mystery groups that don't ever show any proof of the source of their data and statistics.

Kinda funny though, follow the link to the article and you'll notice that they have the comments turned off so that nobody can refute the post.

5. #5 RedRose, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2014
    1. Cannabis CAN fasten shízophrenia in patients with a genetical assesment to it. It CANT cause mental illness by itself.
    2.Industrial tobacco is WAY more harmfull. Joints are just unhealthier because they are often mixed with tobacco and smoked without filter.
    3. Cannabinoids arent physically addictive as nicotine or cocaine are. BUT it can cause a psychical addiction like just EVERYTHING else(remember that parents with fear of videogame addiction?)
    4. agree, but 12 joints a day are waaaaaaaaaaay too much!

if they do anti-propaganda, we just have to do some pro-propaganda :laughing:

6. I am sick and tired at all these digs at cannabis. Same old mental health blah blah. Just ranted on Twitter about it. I try to avoid reading things like this but I guess it fuels the drive to educate people on more factual statements about the holy plant!

7. #7 tbolg, Jan 21, 2014

RedRose -  What peer review info did you find that stated cannabis speeds up the onset of schizophrenia ?

This articles blatant use of misinformation was like nails on a chalk board. The argument that cannabis has any effect on patients, causing episodes or onseting of schizophrenia is rediculous. If cannabis caused more cases of schiz then you would be able to look at hospital and other records (mental Health institutions) to be able see a correlation in schizo cases that increased and decreased when the numbers of cannabis use increased or decreased. This doesnt happen because they are NOT linked.

Additionally, There are as many studies that indicate that cannabis relieves the symptoms of schizophernia as there as studies saying that cannabis is a factor casuing schizophrenia ... Misinformation 101. 

8. #8 Dro Smoe, Jan 21, 2014
    I can't even participate in such a thread because the OP just pisses me off :angry: ! lol The A Hole that wrote that article is just as diluted as the "war on drugs" advocates 

9. that was a study from harvard medical school last year :hello:

10. wow, they left out the studies saying it kills cancer cells and prevents alzheimers drastically better than any pharmaceutical. oh wait, thats real science, it doesnt belong with this "science"

11. Link?

12. the comments were closed from the start...so nobody can point out the lies.

13. I find that often to be the case, cball! They are just too cowardly to allow the facts to be shown to the public!

And speaking of those facts, my new 2014 List is coming out in a few weeks, I've sent off copies to two of you today, but I'd love to send off more! To get over 1000 PAGES of links that will help you refute the lies, just PM me your email, or check out the bottom of my sig and send me an email! The List is absolutely free! Here's a few things from the List to give you an idea what it's like-

From "SCHIZOPHRENIA" (about 10 pages of links)

If cannabis caused schizophrenia-how many cannabis users may need to be prevented in order to prevent one case of schizophrenia? England and Wales calculations.    
    (abst - 2009)
    http://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/ebm/record/19832786/full_citation/If_cannabis_caused_schizophrenia_how_many_cannabis_users_may_need_to_be_prevented_in_order_to_prevent_one_case_of_schizophrenia_England_and_Wales_calculations_

Medical use of cannabis. Cannabidiol: A new light for schizophrenia?       (full - 2012) http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/dta.1425/full

Harvard: Marijuana Doesn't Cause Schizophrenia            (news – 2013)
    http://psychcentral.com/news/2013/12/10/harvard-marijuana-doesnt-cause-schizophrenia/63148.html

From "CANCER- LUNG" (about 3 pages of links)

Cannabis and tobacco smoke are not equally carcinogenic.        (full - 2005) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1277837/?tool=pubmed

Large Study Finds No Link between Marijuana and Lung Cancer      (news - 2006)
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=large-study-finds-no-link

{Delta}-9 Tetrahydrocannabinol inhibits growth and metastasis of lung cancer.  
    (abst - 2007)
    http://www.aacrmeetingabstracts.org/cgi/content/meeting_abstract/2007/1_Annual_Meeting/4749?maxtoshow=&hits=80&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=cannabinoid&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=1760&resourcetype=HWCIT

Marijuana Cuts Lung Cancer Tumor Growth In Half, Study Shows      (news – 2007)
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070417193338.htm

So, how about it dudes? Want your free copy?  And getting your copy now will get you on the mailing list for the new, huge 2014 List!  it can come in handy at times. Doing that paper on cannabis. Calming worried parents. Shutting up prohibitionists. Not to mention, educating yourself about the most amazing plant on Earth! :smoke:

(I'm aiming for 1,420 pages of links this time! Still working (frantically) on it! I'm currently at 1,385 pages- and taking a short break here to relax from the all the Sci-speak!)   Hope to hear from you all soon!  :yay:

Granny

The owner of the media source controls the output produced and can put out any crap they wish through the power of the almighty Dollar or in this case the Pound.   The idea that there is a word of truth in the output from any news source is a myth promoted by the people employed by the news source to tell the lies to us in the first place.  The reporter wrote what the editor wanted under orders from his boss and so on.  It is not that hard to understand.

If you don't have enough money to make your self heard in the same way the owner of the Daily Mail does the only way to appose that kind of money is to use "The People's Microphone" the same way the 99% did when we occupied our public places.  You're an educator and doing a great job IMHO.  The rest of us are functioning as your "People's Microphone" with the information you help us find and organize.   Adjusting the lesson plan with expanded emphasis on how to politically re-educate the public on the issues could increase our group traction.

15. #17 tbolg, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014

I just finished reading up on this article and this is what i found...
    <blockquote>“In summary, we conclude that cannabis does not cause psychosis by itself. In genetically vulnerable individuals, while cannabis may modify the illness onset, severity and outcome, there is no evidence from this study that it can cause the psychosis.”
    </blockquote>The only thing I read is that cannabis "May" modify the illness onset that does not conclude that it does indeed influence schizophernia . Nothing conclusive nor definitive...

16. #18 Honokiol, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2014
    The only thing I read is that cannabis "May" modify the illness onset that does not conclude that it does indeed influence schizophernia . Nothing conclusive nor definitive...

</blockquote> 
    The appearance seems to be that Schizophrenia is an apoptotic process caused by genetic transcription errors in the brain cells.  The same process that causes Cannabis to cure cancer can cause apoptosis in non-cancerous genetically abnormal or damaged cells.  I think the issue quoted below will be exposed over time as the source of genetic abnormality that sets the apoptotic process in motion.  Whether encocannabinoids cause the apoptosis or plant cannabinoids cause it is irrelevant it will occur either way.

- Quote -

"The above might be taken to imply that the genetic contribution to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder is largely in common. However, the most recent genetic evidence suggests that there may yet be some life in the Kraepelinian distinction. Copy number variants (CNVs) are found in excess in schizophrenia and some appear to be in common between schizophrenia, autism, ADHD, and epilepsy. By contrast, CNVs are not found in excess in bipolar disorder."

- End Quote -

The above is quoted from:
    How Genes and Environmental Factors Determine the Different Neurodevelopmental Trajectories of Schizophrenia and Bipolar Disorder
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3283142/?report=classic