Cannabis Seed Germination Breakthrough

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by clodhopper, Apr 30, 2012.

1. I'm new... but have attempted to germ 5 seeds. 3 were successful using the 'paper towel' method. The other two were from a different bag, different strain - and couldn't get them to pop.

This seems to be a pretty sound theory, and easy setup. I'll give it a try next time around and see if I have better luck!

Thanks Clod!

2. Howdy all!

Ive been shown a truly innovative improvement of my original device by a long time community member and breeder and i wanted to pass the approach on to you.

Instead of buying sponges and placing his seeds in between the sponge halves, he purchase and uses a "Rapid Rooter" starter plug and places his seed, POINT UP into the rooter plug medium and then places the plug in his centered, floating box that contains the seeds. With this method, the seed is in the proper position, germinates and is planted into the pot without ever being toched.

Once the seed has cracked and has sent down its primary tap, it can be seen in the plug. The plug is removed and planted at surface level where the seed extends its roots into the soil and the plant is planted.

I tried it myself and it really is an improvement in that the germed seed doesnt have to be handled after germination AND the seed is far easier to place in the proper POINT UP/Butt Down position in the rapid rooter plug than it is in soil. With soil, the properly positioned seed can turn over or be disturbed easily by watering. Improperly positioned seeds result in runts which are as costly as a no show.

There is one caveat to this new approach. The germed seeds must remain in the central grow box for one day longer than just germing the seeds between sponge halves. When using sponges, the grower wants to remove the seed from the central germination box as soon as it cracks and the white root is slightly exposed. But when using the rapid rooter plugs, you have to wait until the seed has actually germed and the seed hull kicked up and appears which takes an additional 24 -36 hrs depending on variety.

I was able to fit 10 rapid rooter plugs,(10 seeds ) into each half of my centralized floating germination box for the capacity to germ 20 seeds at a time in my germination machine of the dimensions i discussed in the beginning of the thread.

Here is where i got my rapid rooters: 15$ for 50 plugs which is a 2yr supply for me.

General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Plugs - 50 Pack price comparison and reviews | Garden Home and Garden | Price comparison and reviews at best-price.com

• Like Like x 1
  3. argggggghhhhh!!!!!!! double postin antique!!!

4. Sounds solid man I've almost had problems with germinating and this last attempt is when I realized its all about the right temp. (needing to be higher in my case) Plus a find soaking them any longer than time to crack is too much.

5. sphagnum peat moss+vermicompost > sponge in a plastic tub. Maybe it's just me.

I have been starting seeds and cloning in 1 GALLON POTS, no complaints on that.

6. [quote name='"hope2toke"']sphagnum peat moss+vermicompost > sponge in a plastic tub. Maybe it's just me.

.[/quote]

Yep except i only have compost, wish i had vermi lol but even just compost/peat works great for me

7. Youre right Thepot. Temps,(76) steady temps are the key to germination. Moisture is easy and not so tedious but temps are critical.

This 20 $ device lets me order single seeds as a standard practice. Ive probably purchased 30 single stains or more over the past several years and ive yet to have a seed not sprout. But wait! Of the 60 -70 packs of seeds since i first built this device, ive never had a seed not germ. 100% everytime.

Thats how i know that when you see complaints about poor germ rates, it aint the breeders fault. The seeds the banks are putting out are viable.

8. THANK YOU SIR!!!!!!! going to create this device very soon! also thanks for contributing so much to the outdoor strain guide. it has served me well!:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

9. [quote name='"clodhopper"']Howdy all!

Ive been shown a truly innovative improvement of my original device by a long time community member and breeder and i wanted to pass the approach on to you.

Instead of buying sponges and placing his seeds in between the sponge halves, he purchase and uses a "Rapid Rooter" starter plug and places his seed, POINT UP into the rooter plug medium and then places the plug in his centered, floating box that contains the seeds. With this method, the seed is in the proper position, germinates and is planted into the pot without ever being toched.

Once the seed has cracked and has sent down its primary tap, it can be seen in the plug. The plug is removed and planted at surface level where the seed extends its roots into the soil and the plant is planted.

I tried it myself and it really is an improvement in that the germed seed doesnt have to be handled after germination AND the seed is far easier to place in the proper POINT UP/Butt Down position in the rapid rooter plug than it is in soil. With soil, the properly positioned seed can turn over or be disturbed easily by watering. Improperly positioned seeds result in runts which are as costly as a no show.

There is one caveat to this new approach. The germed seeds must remain in the central grow box for one day longer than just germing the seeds between sponge halves. When using sponges, the grower wants to remove the seed from the central germination box as soon as it cracks and the white root is slightly exposed. But when using the rapid rooter plugs, you have to wait until the seed has actually germed and the seed hull kicked up and appears which takes an additional 24 -36 hrs depending on variety.

I was able to fit 10 rapid rooter plugs,(10 seeds ) into each half of my centralized floating germination box for the capacity to germ 20 seeds at a time in my germination machine of the dimensions i discussed in the beginning of the thread.

Here is where i got my rapid rooters: 15$ for 50 plugs which is a 2yr supply for me.

General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Plugs - 50 Pack price comparison and reviews | Garden Home and Garden | Price comparison and reviews at best-price.com[/quote]

Mercy me!!! U have taken it to a new level...best germinating technique I've ever encountered. People don't give us heads any credit for having any smarts these days. Clodhopper you are a prime example that proves that wrong. Sick idea bro! Since I've already got the majority of my setup, all I need is a small modification to be up to par ;)

Thanks for your knowledge brother

MM

• Like Like x 1
  10. #31 KangarooBunny, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
    "Cannabis seeds, and the seeds of many other plants germinate at temps between 76 anf 80 degrees farenheit. The farther the temps drop below 76, the slower the seeds will germ untii about the temp of 68 in which they wont germinate at all. At 82, the seeds wont ever germinate."

Apparently this is false information, as it was berated to me after trying to help someone in another thread.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/1157622-best-way-germinate.html#post16803904

11. I always get 100% germination with my paper towel method all i do is place them in darkness on top of my boiler and when paper dries i add alil bit more water.. then after 1/2days i have tap roots.

12. bump for anyone who hasnt seen this thread. awsome idea:hello:

13. Are you guys planting the seeds as soon as it cracks and the root starts to come out? Or do you wait til it gets a little longer?

14. Seems way more complicated then it needs to be. Use rapid rooters, rockwool cubes, or soil incups with baggies for domes anduse a seedlingheatmat if temp is too cold. I have never had problemsgerming seeds always get 100 percent.

15. Looking at Walmart online and the cheapest aquarium heater is $15, but I think I still might try this

• Like Like x 1
  16. ya think....

17. Did this two days ago with rock wool less than 3 days had a sprout out of Rockwool this device really works thanks Clod I know this thread is old but BIG UPS MAN for making my germing easier. Just had to tell the thread.

18. I found 2 heaters in the aquarium parts pile, I just need to grab some plugs, So If I wanted to do a couple test runs, what kind of seeds can I grab at the feed store to test it out with? Maybe I'll just try some bad seed....

19. I will be germing a LOT of seeds in the future...I invested in this set-up and was gifted 15 Gorilla Grape X Gorilla Grape/Fire Alien Kush seeds and 13 of the 15 popped in 36 hours. The other two are still in there (one "may" not have been viable as it was spongy before I started the process.)

Whatever works to germinate seeds at this kind of success rate is great!