Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis>marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana Stash Box' started by zeekoslav, Oct 2, 2021.

1. Don't get me wrong, I like the marijuana name, but it's just doesn't feel right to call it like that if you research a little bit its origin name.
    Name was used to demonize the plant and I think you should rename your threads to name that is glorious - Cannabis

2. It's Spanish for Mary Jane and I kind of like that. Although I usually just say weed.

Also, GC is a Dutch-based forum. So things are a bit different there I'd imagine.

3. As far as I know, American government took name "marijuana" from their Mexican neighbors, which is in fact completely different plant (as Im aware) and ofc, they wanted to make it look and sound foreign, to scare the white folks and eventually banning it all together mainly on lobby made by lumber industry.
    I can maybe think in the way that we "own" that slang even with its history, but somehow I prefer cannabis coz it doesnt pull that demonizing baggage as marijuana does
    *Edit* I stand corrected, it's a slang for prisoner according to Oxford, there are also few more places the think name originates from

4. Now Canadian for $7mil ...called cannabis in Europe for years
    only the sth usa cops started calling it that during the 40's if I recall correctly
    check the link: Marijuana - Assassin of Youth by H. J. Anslinger

5. What do you mean by this? It's not owned by Superjoint anymore?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Here's more on the subject of what we call this lovely plant-

Here Are The DEA’s Newest Slang Terms for Marijuana: ‘Shoes,’ ‘My Brother’ And More. (news – 2018) Here Are The DEA’s Newest Slang Terms for Marijuana: ‘Shoes,’ ‘My Brother’ And More

Ganja, cannabis, marijuana, zol, dagga: What do you call your habit? (news – 2018)
    Ganja, cannabis, marijuana, zol, dagga: What do you call your habit?

The Evolution of Cannabis Slang Terminology. (news – 2018)
    https://www.civilized.life/articles/slang-for-weed/

Why it can be okay to call it ‘marijuana’ instead of ‘cannabis’. (news – 2018) Why it can be okay to call it ‘marijuana’ instead of ‘cannabis’

Where the word ‘cannabis’ comes from (news – 2019) https://cannigma.com/history/the-interesting-etymology-of-cannabis/

Cannabis? Weed? Marijuana? Why What We Call It Matters. (news – 2021) Cannabis? Weed? Marijuana? Why What We Call It Matters

From Muggles to Rainy Day Woman, This is the Weirdest Cannabis Slang From 1920 to 1975.
    (news – 2021) From Muggles to Rainy Day Woman, This is the Weirdest Cannabis Slang From 1920 to 1975 | GreenState

Granny :wave:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. [​IMG]

Back in the day we decorated with all the classic 1930s prohibition posters since many of the "Head" shops sold reproductions of them along side the black lights. Bongs, and other assorted paraphernalia drug related goodies.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ahh.... Reefer madness.... One of my favourite

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. A rose by any other name...... There was a thread by someone who thought we should stop calling cannabis pot. Call it whatever makes you happy and let everyone else do the same.

10. I inquired at a state level about the terminology and was told that “ marijuana “ is a term that children are familiar with and can recognize easily whereas “cannabis” is one that the state feels would be confusing to them. :bang:

11. I hate it... i think its stupid...