Cannabis leaves curling inward like a taco

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JonesJimbo, May 17, 2020.

1. Hi There,

I am having issues with my current grow. I bought my tent as a set from IOBONICs with all the accessories included and it is a 2x2x6 tent, with a 4 inch outtake fan, a 4 oscillating fan, a IO LED full spectrum light (this light is sketchy), and other miscellaneous stuff. I had a previous indoor grow that was going well until the plant started getting taller and then the leaves started to curl inwards and taco. So I thought this was due to the light so I installed two sheer white curtains to filter some of the light. The plant was a little far gone by that point so it didn't recover well and I just started over. Anyways, this time around the same thing is starting to happen. Now I am growing the plant in a 1 gallon plastic pot filled with a mixture of FoxFarms Ocean Forest and Happy Frog potting soil. Everything seemed fine until the plant started to do this curling again. My humidity is pretty constant around 50-60 with the help of a small humidifier. The temp ranges from 18-24 depending on light cycle. The lights are on a cycle of 18/6. I water with a diluted form of epsom salts and gypsum. I have just started to also give a diluted feed. Anyways, I attached some photos to this in hopes that someone could lend me some advice in what the hell is going on. I tried a bunch of different things and nothing seems to fix this issue. I believe it is the light but I don't know how to combat it. Any help or direction is greatly appreciated!
    (Attached a bunch of pictures to give an idea of my setup, the pictures of the plant aren't in the tent because I took it out in fear that it is going to get much worse again)

Sincerely,
    JonesJimbo

Attached Files:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Water it more. The leaves seem dehydrated

3. Its either light, heat, or wind burn...............your temps look ok.......so id say either light or wind burn

• Like Like x 2
  4. What kind of water source and What is your ph going in and coming out. Looks like a cal mag issue but your adding calcium. fox farms tends to run acidic 5.6-5.9 even though your adding it if your ph is too acidic you’re plant can’t get calcium as it’s absorbed best at mid to high 6’s

• Like Like x 1
  5. First off i did not read anything you posted . I only looked at a few pics. Im not reading all that .
    When you check out the internet, you will find that the most common question for cannabis growers on the forums is why their cannabis leaves curling upwards like tacos. If you may also notice, the stems could be turning a dark shade of purple and the leaves look wrinkly. So first of all, it is good to find out the source of the problem. Let us try and dissect the main reasons why this is happening to your cannabis plants.

Calcium and Magnesium deficiency
    If you ask any expert cannabis grower, their immediate answer to this question is that your plants are deficient in the minerals calcium and magnesium. So if you’re constantly giving your plants some supplements on calcium and magnesium, the problem could be that they are not absorbing them properly due to differences in pH level. When your soil and water have low pH which means that they are too acidic, the absorption of calcium and magnesium are compromised therefore resulting in tacoing. So the solution to this problem is to monitor your pH and try and maintain at near-neutral levels of 6.0 to 6.5.

But if you’ve made sure that your pH is at those levels and still your cannabis plants look the same, try putting in a little more calcium and magnesium additives. You can find these additives on any growing stores or online. When you’ve finally found the right remedy, you will find that new leaves growing will be healthy and green and not curled up and wrinkly.

Heat stress and Humidity
    If you have tried the solution stated above and it still did not remedy the problem of tacoing cannabis leaves, there could be another reason behind it. Another main reason for cannabis leaves curling like tacos are that they are experiencing extreme heat and humidity conditions and that they are overwatered. Most people think that when the environment is too hot and humid, the best remedy is to water your plants more than what you do regularly. This notion should be changed as a combination of too much heat and overwatering cannabis plants can be consequential, hence the tacoing.

The remedy to this is to manipulate your growing environment better. Check out the plants that are experiencing tacoing and determine what environmental factor could be causing it. It could be that these plants are too close to the growing lights so that they are experiencing too much heat. To solve that situation, simply move those plants away from being too close to the light and make sure that your light is evenly spread out on all your plants in the growing room. Try installing reflectors to make this happen.

If your problems are humidity, try installing dehumidifiers in your growing room and monitor the temperature and humidity regularly to see if the solution works. Or if your budget won’t allow for the purchase of dehumidifiers just yet, put desiccants on every corner of the room but not too much so it won’t suck out all the water vapor in the air.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I water it about 2 times a week depending on the soil moisture. It can take some time for the top layer of the soil to dry out.

7. Hi there, I don't have a fan running on them, only one running a low speed above near the lights. My guess is light too, but don't you think the two white curtain shade covers would have helped that al ot or no?

8. Hi there, I just place some residential tap water in a jar and leave it out for about 24 hours and then use that. The pH of the tap water is around 7.5. When you say measure the pH, you mean of the leachate after water right? If so, I have not done that. I bought a cheap (20 dollar) pH meter to measure the tap water but I haven't measured the leachate yet. Not sure how accurate my pH meter is either.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for sharing all that. For measuring pH, is it best to just check the leachate? So if it is outside of the 6-6.5 range my plant might now be able to absorb Ca and Mg? If so I will try and check the leachate with a cheap pH meter I have. As for the heat stress and humidity, I don't know how it could be that because my temps are on the lower end and my humidity is around 50-60, which seem to be at a good level for a healthy VPD. But I have no idea at this point so I will try anything. As for the light it is about 1.5 meters away, which is the tallest point in my tent. If the light is the issue then that is pretty bogus since it was a set.

10. Thanks for sharing all that. For measuring pH, is it best to just check the leachate? So if it is outside of the 6-6.5 range my plant might now be able to absorb Ca and Mg? If so I will try and check the leachate with a cheap pH meter I have. As for the heat stress and humidity, I don't know how it could be that because my temps are on the lower end and my humidity is around 50-60, which seem to be at a good level for a healthy VPD. But I have no idea at this point so I will try anything. As for the light it is about 1.5 meters away, which is the tallest point in my tent. If the light is the issue then that is pretty bogus since it was a set.

11. Did you not find your first sentence ironic?:lmafoe:

12. A decent digital pH meter and testing solutions are worthy investment. Im using this one and it seems to be doing nicely.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Check your run off ph. calcium is absorbed in the mid to high 6’s. Everything in your setup looks dialed in please check the ph run off to eliminate cal/mg issues. We know it’s going in but is the plant able to use it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Okay, thank you for getting back to me! I will check the run off next time I feed, which should be later today or tomorrow!

15. Awesome, thanks for sharing. I will look into ordering one of those ASAP.

16. Not wanting to hijack thread, but I have a similar problem and my search for answers has led me here. What caught my eye was the "wind burn". Never heard of that before. I read that a breeze would strengthen the stem, so I had a fan blowing lightly over the plant. Not too strong, but enough so that there's constant movement. Could that be this problem? Up til now, I was leaning toward my 75W LED being too close (18").

[​IMG]

17. Make sure your fan oscillates. In nature the breeze comes and goes.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SORRY for the late response.........but IMO...........yes, absolutely that could be the problem...............some movement is def good for the plant........early in life, and..........in all stages......but too much CAN wind burn them....I had that very problem my first grow.....:passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1