Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis infused coconut oil question

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by biscuitkid, Jul 15, 2012.

1. hi, whats happenin everybody? im tryin to infuse coconut oil w/ cannabis im using good sugar trim from some auto's the question i have is im doing this outdoors no heat on the stove, im up in northern cali so temps been from 90-100+ the last couple of days, i got the mixture of coconut oil and the trim in a mason jar inside a paper bag (so no light hits the mixture) outside directly in the sun for the last 3 days.. how long do u think i should do this outside to have a potent mixture?

2. i'm not sure it will get hot enuff to trigger the reaction your after.

I use a crock pot for oi 12 hour on low heat

l...I saw your thread, I love coconut oil..popcorn with coconut oil rocks!

3. ive made it the crock pot way, has anyone tried to do it just straight using the sun??, see the idea i was thinking that if its 90-100 wouldnt it be higher in the mason jar then outside the weather outside??? and yes i agree with ya musicman i love me some coconut oil, just coconut oil has so many good benefits for ya!!!!

4. it will eventually reach the potency you are looking for. did you decarb prior to mixing the two? if not, you may have to wait about a year lol. at least a couple months of sitting though to get your moneys worth out of it

5. #5 Tihspeed, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2012
    light degrades THC... so don't use the sun

just stick bud in a mason jar with as little of coconut oil as possible... put a lid over it, but it still needs to be able vent... this keeps moisture in but lets some steam out so it does not rupture... put in a crockpot(lid up) and put on low for like 12 hours like the previous poster suggested... then strain

edit.... you could also pre-freeze bud and coconut oil... then mix vigorously for one minute then strain and then cook for 12 hours on low in crockpot

it should be that easy

but consider de-carbing bud before use... i'd use google to figure out the best way to decarb... everyone does that part differently and at different temps

edit for afterthought... I'm not a pro at cooking... so make sure you double check actual cook methods

6. na when i did have it outside it was in a paper bag blocking the sun, but getting the "heat" from the sun...thats what i was talking about, im gonna end up to finish it ill boil some water and stick it in there with the "lid" off and hopefully get all that was left...thanks for the help guys!

7. [quote name='"biscuitkid"']na when i did have it outside it was in a paper bag blocking the sun, but getting the "heat" from the sun...thats what i was talking about, im gonna end up to finish it ill boil some water and stick it in there with the "lid" off and hopefully get all that was left...thanks for the help guys![/quote]
    I think if u just left the bud out in the sun it's fine to dry but to store in no. I know there sun purged bho and qwiso

8. are you referring to a double boiler type rig? im hoping you arent thinking of doing the old school water and butter mixture, then let the butter surface and scrape it out. because that is VERY outdated and proven to waste so much potency lol.

and you should keep the water right at the boiling point of 220 degrees F. process the herb and oil mixture with the lid on, so it is sealed. i suggest processing it around 220 for 45 mins then taking it off and letting it cool to room temp. give it an easy mix and process it for another 30 mins or so. this will insure the max potency you could achieve. one of the most proven methods i have used and found in research.

typically you would want the second phase of heating to be equal time or even longer, but since you had it pre-soaked, i see it as a bit overboard and may damage some cannabinoids, or leave yourself with a ton of CBDs and CBNs, triggering a couch locking edible :smoking:

also, you will most likely acquire a strong weed taste due to the soaking period. many of the terpenes and chlorophyll are transfered from the plant to the oil, giving it that "weed" flavor. not a bad thing if you dont mind it, and has nothing to do with potency, but just a heads up :wave:

good luck and enjoy them :smoke:

9. Here's an easy solution. Take the mason jar of material and oil you currently have in the sun and bring it back inside. You've said you've used the crockpot before, but by your statements that may not be a current option. Put an inch or two of water in the bottom of a crockpot or heavy saucepan. If using a saucepan, you may want to put a ceramic tile or heavy cloth square on the bottom, too. Loosen or remove the lid of the mason jar and place in center of pot and on the tile/cloth if a saucepan. Get the water to "high" in crockpot or a low boil in the saucepan and let it heat for however long you can, preferably a couple of hours at least. The oil should already be warm from sitting in the sun, but don't forget-it cooled down again overnight. So it would have taken a few hours for it to get back up to temp, especially in a bag. This is a decent way to get more potency quickly, but it won't get it all. Don't use hot water to draw out more because it won't. THC is not water soluble and all you would do is wash out any remaining oil and disperse it finely throughout the water. Because it is so dispersed, it will not bond back together well and what you do retrieve is weak and watery. I know this from experience. If you heat it like this, you'll at least get enough potency to make brownies or such worthwhile. When you've strained your material, put it in your freezer or fridge until you're ready for another batch and add it to it. Since it will still have so much left in it, it will greatly increase the potency of the new stuff.

10. Put the mason jar, in the bag on your dashboard with the car pointed towards the sun. The more days you do it the better your outcome should be.