Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis 'hangover' experiences

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by superconducter, May 18, 2009.

1. Hi,

I'm pretty new to using cannabis as a medicine and have had some good results and some quite unwanted side effects.

The worst seems to be the hangover that I get from some kinds of pot. The problem is, aside from feeling quite awful the next day, it doesn't seem to be related to any strain/variety in particular.

Last night I had a a few bites of a rice crispy treat. The collective could only tell me that it had kief in it - probably a mixture from various plants I would guess?

Anyways, it was NOT a pleasant experience. I felt flat out drunk in the worst possible way....really dreadful.

So I'm wondering what some of your experiences with cannabis hangover have been and if you find it related to dose or type and how you can make yourself feel better the next day if/when this happens.

Today was absolutely lost so I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers everyone.

2. the reason your getting this cannabis hangover is cause your a first time user and you have no tolerance and you are waking up high when you don't want to be and that's why it feels shitty. when i first started smoking, the shitty mid-grade weed would get me mad fucked up. you probably got some really dank buds if you bought it from a dispenser somewhere, try taking one hit at a time and see how you feel after each hit.

3. I'd recommend just taking one hit like stated above.

4. Yes yes, you're medicating too much for your body.

besides which, 'weedovers' are certainly much more enjoyable than alcohol hang-overs.

I had one this morning, had a very, very powerful edible last night to be able to sit through Star Trek last night, and I woke up still under the effects. Wasn't a great morning, but didn't suck nearly as bad as an alcohol hangover. I made pancakes for breakfast.

5. Especially with kief in that rice crispie treat.

6. thanks for all the input.

i am still wondering if any of you have no tolerance for certain strains of weed and if that can be an issue also.

it seems perhaps i took a bit too much but i'm still wondering how much it may have had to do with whatever strain was in that edible because some sativas really don't agree and i tend to feel better (i.e. not hungover or 'sick') with more indica dominant meds.

thanks again.

7. I don't think you can become overtolerant of a specific strain. Edibles almost always have a stronger effect than just smoking, and it's been my experience that those that contain kief instead of leaf will be a lot stronger simply because of the concentrated form.

8. It's all about tolerance. I have a relatively high tolerance (used to big bong rips of medical top-shelf), but I ate 2 hash oil edibles over the course of the day yesterday and got wayyy too medicated and white-faced - something I have never felt from smoking/eating edibles. The reason I ate two is because edibles never work for me - I should have listened to the budtender's suggestion to only eat half at a time.

Also, edibles have the potential to get you a lot more medicated than smoking - more than you would prefer. So, stick to smoking if you want to measure your dosage. If you have high quality bud, take a hit or two and sit on that for about 10 minutes, and see how you feel, like other posters have mentioned.

9. you dont like the afterglow effect that marijuana gives you?

if you dont like that then you probably shouldnt go to bed high. wait till you know for sure you are baseline and then sleep. some peoples bodies dont handle a chemical sleep that well.

10. thanks for the tip but i do love to go to bed high; listen to my iPod and just enjoy the medicine.

it's when i have an experience like the one i described that i don't care for at all. there was no afterglow; just 'head in the gutter hungover, nasty, crappy, bad tequila and wake up on the beach in rosarito screaming 'stop the mariachis cabron! my head, my head!!! feeling.' :D

definitely no more edibles for a while. i'll stick to the vape which i can use to measure my dose down to fractions of a gram.

thanks everyone. take care.

11. Sounds like you smoked/took too much, ease up next time

12. #12 dutchmaster, May 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
    The
    feeling is not from the weed.

I ate a firecracker last night and woke up noticeably "hungover". I was really tired even after a great nights sleep and short-winded and my legs hurt from going up the stairs in the morning.

Anything you eat is going to stay in your body longer than anything you smoke.

13. New users should stick to smoking for a little bit. Invest in a bong and I guaruntee your satisfaction.

14. hey dutchmaster,

last time i felt this beat up was after a couple of shows during the maiden tour last summer.

didn't medicate before or after the shows but wish i would have; got beat like i've never been before as we stayed at the front rail the entire shows. man, i've never, ever been that sore and had so many bruises in my life. after the first show i literally couldn't raise my arms. :wave:

"iron maiden's gonna get aaaaaaaaallllllll of you!"

later!

15. you just cant handle your shit.

16. You did notice that this is a medical marijuana forum where people come to ask questions and share experiences with how to best use cannabis for their particular symptoms/illnesses.

Instead, you actually had to take the time to log-in, type out a demeaning message that, I guess, is supposed to show what an advanced, awesome, superior pot smoker you are!

Congratulations for nothing. You can smoke/eat more; big deal.

That you have to put others down because of this shows how tragic you are - even if you can 'handle your shit.'

Now why don't you crawl back to the tribe of idiots where you came from and leave us who want to have productive conversations about serious medical topics alone?

17. You can smoke a specific strain enough to the point where your very used to the effects thus making it a less intense experience.

18. #18 Alexyonfire!, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
    awwh did the baby get all butthurt?
    Its your fault you overdid it, dont do alot of shit if your a n00b.
    Its common sense, you woud take like 20 tylenols for a headache.
    Sheesh, kids are getting dumber these days.

Chill out, people. Disrespect is not necessary. -JD

19. #19 superconducter, May 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
    For your edification, 'common sense' is what I used - two small bites and a resulting bad reaction.

Comparing my experience to taking 20 tylenols is thus irrelevant and just shows how ignorant you are and that you have nothing to do other than bait people into arguments on the internet.

As I said, this a place for the exchange of ideas regarding medical cannabis - not for idiots living in their mom's basement who have nothing else to do other than virtual bullying because they got their ass kicked at the bus stop coming home from drama club.

Chill out, people. Disrespect is not necessary. -JD

20. Thanks; I had wondered about that. I'm going to stick to a strain that has agreed quite nicely with me and see how it goes from there.

I suspect that the kief in the rice krispy treat was a hodgepodge of all kinds of weed making for a crazy, complicated high.

thanks for the suggestions.