Cannabis Cooking Oil Questions For Experienced Chefs

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by flexibletree, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Hey blades,

Looking to do some brownie making for the coming weekend (theres a local music fest I am working at and wanna have a good time with some of the crew) and I have some questions regarding the oil extraction.

First things first, some background info.... This will be my first time cooking with cannabis (first serious attempt) and I wanna get the most bang for my buck and obviously without wasting anything. I already have my heart and mind set on using canola oil and going with a boxed brownie mix. I have done my research and for now, this is the route I want to take. Unless there is someone who can really persuade me to change routes.

I have about a 1/4oz of shake left from my last batch of potent buds. I also have a new batch at my disposal, but am only looking to use about 10-12g from it. So I'd have somewhere around 14-18g of buds/shake (I'll approximate closer to cook time)(I also have a 1/2oz, give or take, of vaped bud and frosty stems. Vaped bud is brown, golden, and some faint green. Barely any black).

*On to my questions*
    1)So, what's the deal decarbing? Is it all what its cracked up to be? I've read a thread on here (Paleo's maybe) and it can be done in a microwave which would be easy. Also Ive read this:
    http://www.thestonerscookbook.com/how_to_decarboxylate_weed.php

2)Oil to bud ratio?? This is prob one of the most asked questions. I know it goes on potency and a lot on the individual, but what's the best ratio? I've read 2:1 oil to bud.

3)Specifically, with my given inputs, how much oil should I go with to have potent brownies every time? Most brownie boxes say 1/4cup of oil or somewhere around there, which isn't a lot. How can I ensure a tray of these things will knock socks off???

4)Finally (If I didn't forget anything), what's the best way to do this extraction? Crock pot for hours? Sauce pan for a short period?

Any help, tips, ideas, suggestions are greatly appreciated. Temps, times, recipes, etc fall into this category. I do have a candy thermometer.

Please help ASAP, I will bump this thing in the morning and throughout the day as I wanna get answers to get cooking quick! Thanks

Sent from my XT1080 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. http://forum.grasscity.com/incredible-edible-herb/742831-badkats-cannapharm-medical-grade-oil-cannabis-capsules-uv-glowing-hash-candy-canna-bombs-more.html/page-18#entry11628262

Find Badkittysmiles and see what her advice may be for brownies. I haven't made them, but I do make capsules regularly. Fewer calories, all the party! ;)

If this is your first time, Id recommend just using the vaped material you have. It's already decarbed, and you can get an experiment batch in before hitting up the other. 

For ratios, I use more like 1:1, trying to use just enough oil to cover the flower. Plus, you don't want to go overboard, because, frankly, brownies don't use that much oil. Check the recipe first. 

3. #3 dankness420, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2014
    I wouldn't consider myself to be an experienced chef, but I do have experience.

1 - Decarbing is needed to activate the THC.  This process will take place while your bud is in the oil but doing it beforehand will speed up the process.
    2 - Oil to bud ratio is all preference.  There is no universal ratio that is used.  10g finely ground bud to 150mL oil is what I aim for give or take.
    3 - I generally don't use measuring utensils but I do put in a little extra then the required amount.
    4 - I always use a crock pot, seems to be the easiest way to go about things.  I aim for 4 hours of bud cooking in the oil but the longer the better. 

I personally use coconut oil for all my cooking as it seems to be the best for absorbing the thc.  Also look into soy lecithin(spelling*) for added potency.  Also after the cooking process, instead of instantly straining, pour oil and bud into a container and put in fridge/freezer for 24 hours then reheat and strain. 

Any other questions feel free to ask, I am no expert but I can guarantee my methods work.