Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis Coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by DanteSays, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Yesterday, I made some cannabis coconut oil for two people in my life. A friend of mine has stage 3 brain cancer and she just recently got some bad news. Her tumor has grown back even with the chemotherapy and radiation treatment she's been undergoing. She eats hash candy bars for the nausea and it has really helped her with the discomfort of her cancer protocol. I'd go as far to say that it's made her treatment bearable. I know a lot of people here are dealing with serious illness and you inspire me. Thank you.

I also did it for my dad's 84 year old knees. He was a Marine and used to run 6 miles a day with a 90 pound pack. He also played a lot of of volleyball and tennis. His knees are shot but he doesn't want to go to the trouble of replacing them because of his age. He's been able to play golf once per week up to this point but now he's even thinking about giving that up. I was inspired :love: by BadKitty's threads/recipe and wanted to share my recipe with you guys here. This is the first time I've ever done something like this and the entire process took about 7 hours. Next time, I'll make a larger batch but I wanted to start small in case I ruined it. I'd love some feedback.

Materials:
    Old shake, stems, wax from 30 old jars which added up to an 1/8 of cannabis
    10 Indica Yak Pills (15mg THC per pill)
    1g of Fresh Green Crack
    Cheesecloth
    12 ounces of Coconut Oil
    3 tablespoons of Soy Lecithin
    Pyrex Dish
    Two spoons
    Oven
    Stove
    Small Pot

Note: Pyrex can explode if taken from a hot surface (your oven rack) to a cold surface like a granite countertop. To prevent heat stress, it's suggested that pyrex be placed on a thick bath towel. Also, it's a good idea to let the pyrex cool down or warm up when taking it from hot-to-cold (oven to freezer) or cold-to-hot (freezer to oven) surfaces. Yes, it takes extra time, but safety first folks!

Step 1: I started off with 30 old jars of cannabis. I ground up the old material and emptied it into a Pyrex dish, stems and all. I added a gram of fresh Green Crack and made sure everything was ground up. I covered the pyrex with foil and put it in the oven at 220F for 25min to decarboxylate the material.

Step 2: After 25min, I turned the oven off and opened the door slightly to allow the pyrex to cool down slowly and to let all the vapors settle back on the material.

Step 3: I took out the pyrex dish after 10 minutes and put it to the side. Then I melted the coconut oil on the stove top in a small pot (it's solid at room temperature) and poured it over the cannabis material.

Step 4: I opened/added 10 Yak Pills (15mg of THC per pill). I added Soy Lecithin granules (three tablespoons) and mixed/mashed everything up with two spoons. Then I put the foil-covered pyrex back into the oven for 50min at 220F.

Step 5: After 50 min in the oven, I turned the oven off and opened the door to allow the material to cool down slowly.

Step 6: After the pyrex had time to cool down in the oven, I let it continue cooling down on the counter top on top of a thick folded up towel. After 20 minutes of cooling on the countertop, I put the the pyrex container into the freezer for 2 hours.

Step 7: I re-heated the oven to 220F and after letting the pyrex re-adjust to room temperature, I put the pyrex dish back in the oven for an additional 50min.

Step 8: I let the pyrex cool down like in the previous steps and poured the luke-warm cannabis coconut oil into the original container while using cheesecloth to filter all of the cannabis material stems and material. The filtering process is very simple and easy. A little bit of cannabis material escaped through the cheesecloth, and in the future I may use some extra layers or a coffee filter. I put the jar of oil in the refrigerator to allow it to harden overnight. In the morning, I took it out to allow it to soften.

Observations: I worked with the oil without gloves and I definitely noticed that my hands felt great. I was medicating throughout the day (swallowed two Yak Caps to test effectiveness - after an hour it hit me pretty good) and I was also smoking throughout, as well as licking my fingers. So I can't determine the potency of the cannabis oil due to my "other" consumption throughout the day. I will test this on an empty, sober stomach at some point. My intuition is that this batch of cannabis coconut oil is medium to light in effectiveness because I used a lot of old flowers and I didn't use a ton of material for the amount of oil I produced.

The oil was originally white in color and now it's green. It smells slightly like cannabis, but has more of a buttery sweet smell. Honestly, it smells great.

The taste is definitely on the cannabis side. It still has the flavor of the coconut oil but now it's flavored with cannabis. Definitely earthy in taste.

My dog even likes it. I let him lick a little off my fingers and he loved it.

QUESTIONS:

Are there any other natural substances I can add to this recipe to make it a better topical or edible?

If Soy Lecithin increases absorption, would mango juice, pulp or both also help?

How much cannabis (in grams) would you suggest for the amount of oil I used (12oz)? I think the Yak capsules I used definitely added a kick but in the future I may just use flowers and want to get the dosing right.

Is there anything that can be added to the oil making process to make the taste better? Like mint leaves or ginger root? I'm wondering if an herbalist could make some great recommendations here as well.

Photos Attached

Attached Files:

2. does the oil re-harden after it is finished at room temp?

3. Yes, it re-hardens and stays solid, but once you put it on your hands it melts almost instantaneously. It feels really good if you massage it on someone. I think the heat and intention in the hands makes a big difference in how the body receives it. Open energy and all that good stuff.

I left the oil in the refrigerador overnight and left it out on the counter all day. It softened throughout the day but behaves just like it did before the cannabis was added, it's solid until I put it in my hands. I live in CA and my house temp. is around 72F.

Sidenote: If a masseuse were to incorporate this into their business, I bet people would tip huge! :yay:

4. 1 fluid ounce = 6 teaspoons = 2 tablespoons
    If I am to follow your recommendation of 1g per teaspoon of oil, that's 6 grams of cannabis per 1 fluid ounce of coconut oil.

So, would you recommend 72 grams for 12oz of coconut oil? That would be one hell of an oil!

5. Cannabis Oil Recipe - Help?

Coconut Oil
    Tea Tree Oil
    Hemp Oil
    Lysine
    Zinc
    Propolis
    Bee Pollen
    Soy Lecithin

.5grams of marijuana per oz of everything else once it's mixed and decarb/cook like process above (thanks to BadKittyySmiles).

I am posting this as a hypothesis, I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to combine this all in the most efficient way? Dosage guidelines? Are there any negative interactions?

6. Hi, I'm wondering if you have any updates on your Cannabis Oil recipe?

7. #8 BadKittySmiles, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
    Make sure, if you're using additional oils, that they will allow your body to absorb your cannabinoids as efficiently as possible...

Some oils can be very healthy, but they don't allow for good absorption of cannabinoids, so it's better to combine them after you've made your canna oil, rather than before :)

The coated cannabinoids from your 'original solution' will still be intact, even when combined with the new oils after the fact :)

[​IMG]

The above 'water' could be juice, it could be brownie batter, or it could be another oil source entirely... your cannabinoids are still coated in the original oil for a good period of time after combining with a new substance, and that is the oil source that will dictate where in your body the D9/cannabinoids will be absorbed, and it will decide whether or not they will be converted in the liver to the more powerful 11-OH-THC, from D9-THC.

In the end, it's better to take some oils separately, as a supplement, rather than combining and cooking them all together. :)

For instance, most people want the liver conversion and more potentiated cannabinoids; if you take an oil with long-chain triglycerides and use it with your canna, you will absorb more lympatically, versus through the portal vein and liver, and you will not experience that conversion.
    But another patient may have a liver that over-metabolizes and burns off cannabinoids rather than converting them, regardless how much she's eaten, and long-chain lymphatic absorption may be her best option. In both cases, certain oils must be avoided to achieve the best desired effect. In more extreme cases, certain oils should be avoided prior to and during consumption of an edible, as well, and certain supplemental oils should be taken at different times, entirely. :)

8. @BK, Thank you for your enlightening post. Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Do you have a post explaining which oils are best for which ailments and which combinations are best suiting for certain conditions? That information would be amazing. Also, any news on your book? :) Perhaps I will have to buy it to get all of the info I need ;) and I am cool with that! Thank you for all of your help. You are the best resource I've found to help me with my experiments.

@Pandakim, I did not try out the second recipe, but I did make a cannabis tea tree oil which I cured in the freezer for two weeks. I use it on the occasional pimple and it works really well.