Cannabis Class

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cannabislamers, Jan 10, 2018.

1. I decided that I am going to take a cannabis class from either Fremont College or UCLA. Does anyone have opinions on either of them? Good, bad?

2. I'm an undergrad at UCLA rn. I took the class that your referring too because like you thought it might be interesting but it also filled a major requirement. I took the class having already been growing since I was a teenager. Really disappointed and I basically had to explain everything to everyone.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  3. take both!!!! record them and put them here so we dont have to go :wave:
    but really, id honestly go for freemont, growing weed is expensive to begin with, paying for a school name sounds nice, but were stoners, and any credentials are better than your cousins bosses half brother coming to help you with your crop.
    id honestly say the difficult part is having to move to a legal county or drive to one that has enough dispensaries or growers to employ you...... suuureee there are lots of them, but not alot of them are doing enough genetics editing to warrant college level intellect. (and most people dont like some guy swooping in and changing their whole grow, regardless of how right they are)
    iv been talking to a coworker who is struggling, deciding on moving back to seattle to pick the art back up as well, and like iv said to him, the next gen of marijuana employees are going to be accountants, lawyers, marketing..... BUT MOST OFF, ACCOUNTANT
    maybe think about becoming a plant biologist, maybe think about becoming a engineer and design equipment.
    or maybe even a genetic engineer,

4. Jobs in the cannabis industry
    Water boy = minimum wage
    Dirt boy = minimum wage
    Trimmers = minimum wage
    Bud tenders = minimum wage
    Clone cutters = minimum wage
    Shall I go on ?? LOL
    Learn to lie and cheat and go into politics instead. Way better money. :)
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. You’d be better off learning how to grow from google and forums. Google is also free.

I could only imagine what a cannabis growing class in a school would be like..(talking out my ass).. A professor that’s never grown before and doesn’t even smoke because his job drug tests so he’s just relaying information that he learned from a farmer in one conversation.

But in all seriousness, outside of simple (easily google-able) basics I don’t think any growing class has much to offer anyone. There’s people that have been growing for decades that still learn new stuff. I feel like a class that’s taking place in only a few months time would lead to more questions and confusion for a student with no cultivation experience.

The curriculum would have to go over:
    Strains: characteristics, genetics, breeding, phenotypes, sativa vs Indica vs hybrids, landrace strains
    Male plants vs female, sexing, hermies and how they happen, autoflower growing

Soil growing vs hydro or soilless, the several different hydroponic methods and systems, no till farming, aeration, composting, nutrients to use, liquid vs powder nutes, temperatures, humidity, airflow,

Plant training, topping, scrog, etc, how/when to do it

When to harvest and how to tell if it’s time, difference in flowering periods for different strains, How to harvest, trim, dry, cure, store properly

ALL of the pests AND deficiencies and how to recognize/diagnose them, ph ranges and how to adjust it

Oh and lighting.... that subject still kinda makes my brain throb if I read too much at once. Different types of lights, watts, color spectrum, lumens, PAR, UV/IR, light burn, lighting schedules

And I know I didn’t even list everything that should go in, but at this point it’s taken me about the time a class session would be just to write this post lolololol

6. Growing weed is not expensive...

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. To be fair to the original poster. He hasnt said anything about working in the industry. He's asked about courses. I went to uni and did politics becaise i found it interesting. It didnt help me in my career as a record producer one bit but i still wanted to do it.

That said, i would want to know who is teaching me an what credentials they have because there does seem to be a lot of cannabis professionals out there that didnt smoke or grow weed previously to legislation lol

8. I am actually looking to learn. Mr.Nice949, thanks for the info about the UCLA class.

I did a lot of research on both so I feel good able signing up for the one I found at Fremont College. If anyone has any experience with them please let me know. Here is the link to their page https://fremont.edu/cannabis-program/ that I found online.

I'll post an update here with a review once I am done.

9. Bud tenders and trimmers in mass get paid 20+ a hour

• Like Like x 1
  10. @Devo86
    I don't doubt that there are a few better paying sectors but overall it'll be low end jobs for the better part of the employees.
    Hell the local dispensaries want to pay me the price per ounce for a pound I've long given up offering my product to any of the local shops. They want top end goods but won't pay what it's worth.
    Screw the whole rec system. I've scaled back to just grow for me and the rest can piss off.
    I don't know who's supplying them but I can't break even at that cost let alone make enough profit to pay for my time and effort.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I feel ur pain, my buddy in Oregon always talks about how the price of weed is in the toilet trying to sell to dispensaries. Even in Mass the price of weed plummeted after the my legalized. This is off topic but my friend was telling me the other day that a hemp farmer started up last summer right next to people who were growing 50+ plants outside for dispensaries, all those plants were seeded by industrial hemp.

12. Not the first time I've heard that. Damn that's gotta bite the big one.
    BNW