Cannabis Campaigner To Open Shop

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Superjoint, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Cannabis has been proved to provide pain relief
    Source: BBC News

A cannabis campaigner will finally open a shop selling drug paraphernalia despite the threat of police action. North Wales Police say they will "closely monitor" the store when it is opened by businessman Jeffrey Ditchfield in Rhyl on Saturday.
    He says he will not sell cannabis, but will sell seeds and equipment to grow them, "magic mushroom" growing kits and legal intoxicating herbs. In the past, he has said he wanted to give cannabis to people for medicinal purposes.

"I've made it quite clear that all I want to be able to do is supply cannabis to sick people," said Mr Ditchfield, 43.

" Everything I'm providing is legal, the only illegal thing I do is help sick people." -- Jeffrey Ditchfield

"For the past 18 months I've been helping people with their illnesses and I will continue to do so.

"Selling the magic mushroom kits is not what I want to do but I'm doing it to make a point about the drug laws.

"I've been and talked to the neighbours and I've had a very positive response," he added.

Chief Constable Richard Brunstrom has previously backed calls for further investigations into the possibility of legalising drugs.

But Mr Brunstrom has said he has to follow the law and if Mr Ditchfield sold or possessed illegal drugs on his premises he would be closed down.

"I met with the police this week and they said they'd monitor the situation," said Mr Ditchfield.

"Everything I'm providing is legal, the only illegal thing I do is help sick people."

North Wales Police Superintendent Mark Jones said the shop in Water Street would be closely monitored.

"We need to be aware of what Mr Ditchfield is doing," he said.

Multiple sclerosis

"Water Street is a residential area and people have expressed concern to us. It is also in the West End of Rhyl which is one of only five designated areas of policing.

"If he sells items connected with cannabis paraphernalia, that in itself is not illegal.

"However, if that action included the possession and supplying of controlled drugs, that is an offence."

Mr Ditchfield initially wanted to open a cannabis cafe to promote the drug's medicinal purposes.

He said sick people would get the drug free and recreational users would be able to buy it from an undisclosed supplier.

Earlier this year charges against Mr Ditchfield of possessing cannabis and possession with intent to supply were dismissed at Manchester Crown Court.

He had admitted giving cannabis chocolate to someone with multiple sclerosis.

On Monday the Netherlands became the first country to make cannabis available on prescription for pain relief.

Note: Cannabis has been proved to provide some pain relief.

Source: BBC News (UK Web)
    Published: Thursday, September 4, 2003
    Copyright: 2003 BBC