Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis and Venlafaxine (antidepressant)

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by macki, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Just want to give a heads up to anyone who didn't know, don't mix these two drugs.

I recently started taking Venlafaxine and today I smoked a bowl. Almost immediately I felt terrible. I was shaking, had severe anxiety, and my pupils were massive.

I was previously taking Escitalopram and had no problems smoking with that so I knew it was because of the new drug. I did some research about Venlafaxine and found that nearly everyone else who mixed the two suffered the same reaction.

So yeah, don't mix the two.

2. Thanks for the advice! An Erowid experience report (here's another) provides the same advice about venlafaxine (Effexor) -- don't smoke cannabis with it.

I won't go into more detail here since there are other resources online that seem to have good information about it, and talking about other drugs (even pharmaceuticals) is against the rules on this forum.

3. Thanks for the heads up, I'm sure this will help someone. If you don't mind, I'm gonna throw a few tags in there in case someone googles it, so that they have better results.

Tags:
    weed and Venlafaxine (effexor)
    Marijuana and Venlafaxine
    Marijuana and antidepressants
    Weed and effexor
    "can I mix marijuana and Venlafaxine"
    "can I mix weed and Venlafaxine"
    Venlafaxine interactions
    Venlafaxine with pot
    Venlafaxine with cannabis
    "is it safe to smoke while taking Venlafaxine"
    Efexor
    "is it safe to smoke weed while taking effexor?"

That should do. Hopefully this will help somebody else who is searching for an answer and will help prevent another incident like yours. Cheers!