Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis and short term memory loss?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by taZox, Aug 25, 2013.

1. #1 taZox, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
    Hi all, I've been smoking for about a year and a half I'd say. I started off only smoking occasionally, every weekend I'd say, but once it became more available to me, I would smoke 4-5 times during the normal week.

But about a month ago, I started to realize that my memory has gone very very bad. Extremely bad. It has affected my work & academic abilities. Now my question is, is this due to my marijuana use? I'm not sure if my memory loss is due to pot or something else. I have quit using everything until I can regain my memory again...

Has anyone had experience with this problem? If I cut back my marijuana use to every other weekend or so, do you think I could still maintain a normal memory? Any of you seasoned smokers have any advice for me? I'd really appreciate it.

I'm not a burnout or a junkie, I just like my weed  :smoking: I don't need it every day.

2. Weed has been known to cause short term memory lose. Lucky it's usually not permanent. Just take a t break and your be good as golden.

3. Good, thank you. Its good to hear that I'm not braindead! I'll wait a month or two and see if it helps.

4. usually a week and a half does the trick for me, it's just the cannabinoids interrupt the brains memory when constantly smoking, thus your memory is impaired 

5. Don't let it change the course of your life bro.  If it is shaking up your academics or making you "dumb", back way off and only use on occasion. 

Never let something halt your dreams and potential.  Especially a recreational activity.

6. Agree with everyone else. Except I have always had bad memory so I guess Im lucky in a way.

7. My memory has always been shitty, so I don't know. But your gonna get a warning for saying you used another drug. I'd recommend editing that and wording it so its not against the forum rules. I got warned for using the term "unmentionables". I thought that was peculiar.

8. It must be that Indica. 

9. Don't let it get in the way of your life.

10. all the above; 

and/or Adapt. :smoking:

11. Just go on a break and you'll be fine no worries. Good vibes.

12. I smoke daily and would not consider my memory to impaired. However I believe this is partly due to tolerance,

I recommend you try the following supplements:

5-htp and l-tyrosine, they're both natural amino acids that are the chemical predecessors to Serotonin, Dopamine, Epinephrine and other neurotransmitters which are associated with the cannabis high and depletion may lead to symptoms you describe such as poor memory or concentration.    

13. Hi, Logical

I have been taking 5-htp daily for about two months up until a few weeks ago. After stopping my use of it, I have noticed an improvement in my memory. I don't know if this is just because I also stopped smoking weed, but maybe 5-htp was making something worse? I know it is a natural anti-depressant, which is why I took it in the first place, but I have cut everything out of my life besides a healthy diet and I am already noticing improvements.

14. May I ask how much you took in mg, what time of day and with or without food, and what brand it was?

Glad to hear you're feeling better though

15. smither123 is right, it's not permanent. I smoked every day for a long time. Once I got on probation and had to stop, things went back to normal. Take a 2-3 months tolerance break and just go back to smoking weekends. 

16. I took 100mg a day, usually in the morning without food. It was NatureMade

17. Yea what they said. For some reason marijuana doesn't really affect my memory much, I guess I'm jus kinda lucky. But don't let that shit get in the way of other important things, weed will be here when you're done with your school and shit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. If you start at a young age. Like me. Your shit will get fucked up. Still fucked up for me. Taken a very long break. Still on it. Its just my experience. Just something I have to deal with for life I guess.

19. i started smokin at 12 and became daily at 13. now im 18. my short term memory is fucked but i do other unmentionables to so i dont blame it on the weed

maybe you were taking too much? I take 50mg a day, you could also try tryptophan which people seem to respond better to.