Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis and parkinsons

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by wind dodger, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Hey blades how is it going? I was just curious if cannabis has any medical benefits for suffer's of Parkinson's disease? My grandfather is in his early 60's and has had Parkinson's for quite awhile, I'm 19 and would like to find ways to help him

2. There are a LOT of studies on Parkinsin's and cannabinoids! Click that first link in my sig for everything up to 2010. And here is 2010 to the present-

Loss of cannabinoid CB1 receptor expression in the 6-hydroxydopamine-induced nigrostriatal terminal lesion model of Parkinson's disease in the rat. (abst – 2010) Loss of cannabinoid CB1 receptor expression i... [Brain Res Bull. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabinoid receptor agonist protects cultured dopaminergic neurons from the death by the proteasomal dysfunction. (full – 2011) :: ACB :: Anatomy & Cell Biology

Therapeutic Potential of Cannabinoids in the Treatment of Neuroinflammation Associated with Parkinson's Disease (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | PubMed Journal article abstract

Regional changes in type 1 cannabinoid receptor availability in Parkinson's disease in vivo (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | PubMed Journal article abstract

Homeostatic changes of the endocannabinoid system in Parkinson's disease.
    (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Homeostatic changes of the endocannabinoid system in Parkinson's disease. PubMed Journal article abstract

Prospects for cannabinoid therapies in basal ganglia disorders. (abst – 2011) Prospects for cannabinoid therapies in basal ... [Br J Pharmacol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Symptom-relieving and neuroprotective effects of the phytocannabinoid D(9) -THCV in animal models of Parkinson's disease (abst – 2011)
    Unbound MEDLINE | Symptom-relieving and neuroprotective effects of the phytocannabinoid ”⁹-THCV in animal models of Parkinson's disease. PubMed Journal article abstract

Cannabinoid Receptor Type 1 Protects Nigrostriatal Dopaminergic Neurons against MPTP Neurotoxicity by Inhibiting Microglial Activation. (abst – 2011)
    Cannabinoid receptor type 1 protects nigrostriatal... [J Immunol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

New metabolic pathway for controlling brain inflammation (news – 2011)
    New metabolic pathway for controlling brain inflammation

Δ(9) -THC exerts a direct neuroprotective effect in a human cell culture model of Parkinson's disease. (abst – 2012) Δ(9) -THC exerts a direct neuropr... [Neuropathol Appl Neurobiol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

The cannabinoid agonist WIN55212-2 decreases l-DOPA-induced PKA activation and dyskinetic behavior in 6-OHDA-treated rats. (abst – 2012)
    The cannabinoid agonist WIN55212-2 decreases L-... [Neurosci Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Get him on Omega 3 ASAP! You need it for a healthy endocannabinoid system- just trust me on this- or this post gets REALLY long!

Hope that helps!

Granny :wave:

3. Thanks granny :D so if I wanted to introduce him to cannabis I should try an edible form and try having him take fish oil or something with it's of omega -3

4. NOT AN EDIBLE!!! It is WAY too easy to have "one bite too many" even with experienced cannabis users! A vaporizer is the best way, smoking is second, then tinctures and last edibles!

Vaporizers are easier on the lungs. They use less and you get more THC out of your cannabis. And the "left-overs" can be used to make passable brownies!

5. Alright thank you, I own a vaporizer now so that's good