Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Depression Cannabis and Depression

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Cannabird, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Does it help you with depression? I've been going through some personal issues that has had me depressed for the past year. I get anxious and emotional when I smoke when going through stuff and it make things worse. Do you quit when going through problems or do you continue as usual?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cbd has helped my depression hugely. I take 50mg a day along with 500mg of magnesium. This has worked better than any antidepressant I have ever been on.
    In regards to smoking I favor heavy indicas. I avoid sativa as they make me paranoid and anxious. Indicas mellow and takes the worries away.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cbd has helped my depression hugely. I take 50mg a day along with 500mg of magnesium. This has worked better than any antidepressant I have ever been on.
    In regards to smoking I favor heavy indicas. I avoid sativa as they make me paranoid and anxious. Indicas mellow and takes the worries away.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I have tried CBD and I have tried herb for depression. I have found that they help in moderation, but it increases my stress when I use it too regularly.

Many users report panic attacks with prolonged and daily use. I’ve had similar experiences.

I believe that cannabis use dampens the receptors that acknowledge stress in your brain. (And help you deal with it too)

Some people have no issues at all, I think that this is a thing that’s caused by your personal way of thinking. (If you don’t use cannabis to escape)

I read an article a couple years ago about stress from cannabis that appeared in psychology.org if anyones interested I can look for it and post it here when I find it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. #5 GorillaGherkin, Sep 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    Get a strain that put ya in a good mood and makes ya wanna be active like cleaning your house, working, exercise. Gotta make a life change if ya wanna move past something bad that happen to ya.
    I stick to hybrids, high cbd strains, and indicas. Only a select few sativa work for me but everyone’s chemistry Is dif.
    Morning time I start with a functioning high cbd strain I prefer harlequin but will settle for Durban poison or jack herer, mid day I switch to a hybrid that hits body and mind to kill pain and keep me happy, night time heavy indica so I’m relaxed happy and tired so my wife can enjoy her time with me.
    If your in a legal state try to find “your strain” meaning ones that work for you, took me a year. now I grow them so I never run out. May wanna try micro dosing as well sometime just a lil head change can change your mood way better than gettin ripped and bein n a fog all day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Psychoactive drugs have some generally similar and also potentially very wide-ranging effects, depending on the person they are paired with. 1 person + 1 dose of weed != 2 good of a time in every example. Odds of a mismatch go up when you are talking about aberrant behavior and uncommon mental afflictions.

Having said that, strictly my personal opinion, depression is one of the best candidates for Cannabis therapy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Depression can be triggered by a variety of causes. Biological depression can be rooted in an invasive disease. Physiological depression is due to an anatomical deficiency of proper chemicals in the brain. Situational depression is caused by stressors that we encounter. Addressing the causation of each requires unique treatments but combating the symptoms is fairly generic for all.

Anatomical diversity can make finding a proper remedy for depression a bit challenging for many and it generally becomes a journey of trial and error. The reason there are literally hundreds of pharmaceutical antidepressants on the market is because each effect humankind differently. This thesis is also applicable to the many different strains of cannabis.

Take all of the well meaning advice as it was intended, in good faith, but never loose sight of the fact what works for each of us may fail to be effective for you. In the end, it’s going to require experimentation on your part.

Many relate depression with anxiety. While both can occur simultaneously, they are at opposing ends of the spectrum. Antidepressants can evoke anxiety and anti-anxiety meds can trigger depression.

Personally, I find a full spectrum CBD one of the best resolutions for anxiety but does little for my depressed state. For me, many heavy indicas can pass the sedative state and plunge me into the deepest depression I’ve ever experienced. I also find this is the case when using THC that has been degraded to CBN. Micro dosing some good uplifting sativas, Blue Dream for instance, is my best remedy. If I over indulge, however, this same beautiful weed can launch some horrid anxiety. As a disclaimer, I’m not a toker and medicate exclusively with oral ingestion.

Wishing you good luck and a quick remedy to your depression. I know it can be debilitating.

BCDD

• Like Like x 3
  8. I decided to post because right now is the best time for me too have an answer. Cannabis helps with depression, but can also make it worse. Either coincidental or cbd and low thc strains just make me even sadder.

Onto the facts: I believe cannabis helps you be more open and less closed off and open with your feelings in turn making depression and other things seek amplified but often wonder myself if that really is the case. Times like right now it makes me wonder since I really do keep everything bottled up inside if cannabis is more so making it easier to express and show my feelings Rather than make it worse. If that makes sense.

9. IMO the only thing worse than no advice is misleading advice. Especially for mental health issues like depression, seek out professional (and more importantly, personalized) help. Cannabis (in fact any drug) can make you feel better or worse about a problem, the preferred approach is to address the cause of the problem.

10. Between Adderall, Wellbutrin, lexapro, some other crap I can’t remember and weed I’m all over the place. Trying to find a balance is hard. Some days I’m good, some I want to drop-kick babies into a ceiling fan and others I just want to crawl in a hole and die. I’m not a Dr. so I surely can’t recommend any one drug. I will say the best thing for me has been to open up to the people I’m with and love the most. It helps because now they know what’s up with me and why.....sometimes a clueless audience can perpetuate the problem and not the solution.
    Hope this helps..

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Try different methods of consuming, oils, tinctures.... I microdose all day long. For instant relief, I have a little spray bottle of THC:CBD 1:1 tincture with me at all times. Honestly even helps when I am about to get pissed off with something or somebody, a few sprays under the tongue and my nerves settle.

• Like Like x 2
  12. #12 Raybourne, Nov 4, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    I have been diagnosed with major depression and anxiety disorder by my therapist and got my medical marijuana card ‍Get Medical Marijuana Card Online | California 420 doctor evaluations I know people who weed works like magic for. Prevents flashbacks, dulls anxiety, helps with depression, etc. I know people who hate THC but love CBD. I know people who can't smoke because it gives them panic attacks. I know people who don't get any effects when they smoke.
    It's a very individual thing.

13. It’s an interesting question. The two main components of marijuana are THC and CBD. Although there is preliminary evidence that marijuana may have antidepressant properties, many argue there are also some important drawbacks
    to its usage. In some patients with a predisposition to other mental illnesses, such as schizophrenia psychosis, and bipolar depression, marijuana use may serve as a trigger for the disease's expression.

14. It's one reason I support strict laws for underage use. Severe psychological problems like schizophrenia are usually diagnosed by adulthood, and adults can be relied on to avoid drugs they have or are likely to have bad reactions to.

15. It will make you feel better in the moment. But after your not high it will come back. Or if u start smoking too much and get too high a tolerance, it will probobly be alot less effective.

16. Reefer always makes me happy and feel better. Couldn't tell you if it would be a good idea. I know depression meds can cause anxiety and vice versa so maybe some grass would be the best medication.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. #18 DrTopello, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    It all depends on what kind of weed you smoke. Different varieties affect a person in different ways. I've realized that there is nothing better than Purple haze. This is the weed that I buy in Legal Cannabis In Toronto. I am sure that it helps me because my anxious thoughts go away, my mind becomes clear, and sometimes I can solve many problems while high on weed. It sounds strange, but it is the way it is. Therefore, you can try several types of weed, and perhaps you will like one of them, which will improve your morale.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. It can be useful as a tool for analysis, to find out what causes you pain

But be careful, it can also be a portal to false numbness that prevents you from working on the issue

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Going for a run and getting plenty of sunshine is what I do for depression.

• Like Like x 1