Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis and Cancer

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by LessthanJared, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I've read from multiple sources on the internet that cannabis smoke contains a large amount of benzypyrene and that this specific compound can inhibit the function of the P53 tumor suppressor gene, therefore increasing the risk of cancer in those who smoke it. Can anybody give me some info as to whether or not this is valid? I love mary jane, but I'm afraid I can't take the risk of predisposing myself to cancer.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks.

2. I'd worry more about red meat, especially processed red meats.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. I've learned from multiple experiences from smoking weed that reading from the internet is purely for teh lulz.

Cannabis inhibits malignant cancerous growth. By enabling apoptosis, benign tumors will not metastasize due to the presence of the enzymes in cannabis. But you got this info from the internet and you have no idea how valid my opinion is.
    :gc_rocks:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Can you explain what exactly makes your opinion so incredibly valid?

I got the information I'm referring to mostly from researching the effects of aromatics on humans (which is well documented) as well as the Erowid page on the composition of cannabis smoke (which is applicable to me and a very large amount of tokers due to the lack of a vaporizer). Please don't tell me that vaporizers are cheap, I know this, but this is a discussion about smoking cannabis. I don't mean for this post to sound condescending, I just want to get to the bottom of this.

5. and apparently your opinion isn't that valid, considering your understanding of cancer. benign tumors don't metastasize at all, because they aren't cancerous. do you know what benign means?

6. LOL Did you some how not read his post properly?

He's telling you right there about the validity of his statement and why. You can google this topic online, over and over, and go around and around all day on it depending what sites you choose to read and choose to believe. There is nothing definitive out there as pretty much any general statements about cancer and cannabis can be countered by finding a study that shows the opposite.

The effect of cannabis on cancer, whether causing or curing it, remains too unstudied for now. The real, unbiased, research is just starting to happen in states that have legalized.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pretty much everything today research will connect it to cancer. You look at a butterfly happily fluttering in an enchanted meadow the wrong way, there's someone gonna do research saying "yeah it causes cancer."
    Drink the wrong bottled water. "Oh yeah your fucked. Your getting cancer. "
    I just decided to ignore it all on the web and come to the conclusion that we are all genetically different where some people's cells are more susceptible to mutation then other people's.
    If I had to be concerned about every jesus cancer study on the Internet I'd be locked in a plastic bubble being fed thru IV....
    And then someone will tell me the plastic my bubble is made of will give me cancer...
    Madness I say madness! LolBolt

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you worried about every single thing that might cause you cancer, the stress would give you cancer or you might just starve to death.
    Avoiding alcohol, cigarettes, excessive sun exposure and swimming in nuclear waste plus eating a healthy balanced diet are enough precautions against cancer as far as I'm concerned. Mammographies and other screenings are a good idea too.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Don't know, don't care. I'm not gonna live forever.

• Like Like x 3
  10. From national cancer institute website.

Preclinical studies of cannabinoids have investigated the following:

Antitumor activity

Studies in mice and rats have shown that cannabinoids may inhibit tumor growth by causing cell death, blocking cell growth, and blocking the development of blood vessels needed by tumors to grow. Laboratory and animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may be able to kill cancer cells while protecting normal cells.

A study in mice showed that cannabinoids may protect against inflammation of the colon and may have potential in reducing the risk of colon cancer, and possibly in its treatment.
    A laboratory study of delta-9-THC in hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer) cells showed that it damaged or killed the cancer cells. The same study of delta-9-THC in mouse models of liver cancer showed that it had antitumor effects. Delta-9-THC has been shown to cause these effects by acting on molecules that may also be found in non-small cell lung cancer cells and breast cancer cells.
    A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in estrogen receptor positive and estrogen receptor negative breast cancer cells showed that it caused cancer cell death while having little effect on normal breast cells. Studies in mouse models of metastatic breast cancer showed that cannabinoids may lessen the growth, number, and spread of tumors.
    A laboratory study of cannabidiol (CBD) in human glioma cells showed that when given along with chemotherapy, CBD may make chemotherapy more effective and increase cancer cell death without harming normal cells. Studies in mouse models of cancer showed that CBD together with delta-9-THC may make chemotherapy such as temozolomide more effective.
    Stimulating appetite

Many animal studies have shown that delta-9-THC and other cannabinoids stimulate appetite and can increase food intake.
    Pain relief

Cannabinoid receptors (molecules that bind cannabinoids) have been studied in the brain, spinal cord, and nerve endings throughout the body of animals to understand their roles in pain relief.
    Cannabinoids have been studied for anti-inflammatory effects that may play a role in pain relief.
    Animal studies have shown that cannabinoids may prevent nerve problems (pain, numbness, tingling, swelling, and muscle weakness) caused by some types of chemotherapy.
    Nausea and vomiting

Cannabinoid receptors found in brain cells may have a role in controlling nausea and vomiting. Animal studies have shown that delta-9-THC and other cannabinoids may act on cannabinoid receptors to prevent vomiting caused by certain types of chemotherapy.
    Anxiety and sleep

Cannabinoid receptors found in the brain and other parts of the nervous system may be involved in controlling mood and anxiety.
    Anti-anxiety effects of cannabidiol (CBD) have been shown in several animal models.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum