Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis and Bipolar Disorder/Depression

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by drbot, Oct 1, 2012.

1. I have been using Cannabis for 20 years to help control symptoms of Bipolar Disorder. I find it helps stabilize my moods by preventing me from getting too manic or too depressed. I also take prescription psychiatric medications to treat the disorder, see a therapist on a weekly basis, and belong to bipolar support groups.

I have found that the combination of these treatments has given me the best results; I am able to work, raise my kids, and continue a loving relationship with my wife.

I would love to hear from any other members who use Cannabis to treat Bipolar or Major Depressive Disorder. Most importantly, what strains have others found effective to treat either mania or depression?

Peace and Health to all!

2. My mother was bipolar, I'm just a tad moody. :cool: Cannabis keeps my "mildly manic" moments from getting too high and wild, and my lows from going too low! :smoke:

You may want to send me an email (bottom of my sig) for a copy of my List. I have a bunch of medical studies and articles on using cannabis to treat bipolar and depression.

Can't help you on the strains- "anything indica" works for my major issue- migraines.

Granny :wave:

3. hey drbot. i have major depression with phsycotic features. a recent strain i have found is a dj shorts cross but i also like any of the haze varietys for an uplifting smoke to help when your down and out. also try any strain that is high in limonene one of the essential oil terpenoids found in cannabis. the only strain i know that has it for sure is love potion #2

4. Strawberry cough

5. Thanks to all who responded to this one - good to know about limonene (makes a lot of sense that particular terpenoid acts as an anti-depressant).

I have always found that pure Indicas (Northern Lights, Black Domina) provide the best relief from manic symptoms and the haze varieties great as anti-depressants.

I've been trying to figure out what to grow next in the medicine garden. I think since reading the post above from 11BVT, I will start some Flo. Maybe throw some Plush Berry from Subcool in there too - been dying to try it.

Thanks again all

6. I'm so happy to see posts like this! I too have been using cannabis to control my moods, and was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar 1 a few years ago after a brief stint of manic psychosis. My psychologist supports my methods of coping, and I couldn't be happier for that.

All the tranquilizers and lithium I was originally on destroyed me. I felt so two dimensional and my spark of madness had left me, taking with it my most creative impulses. After a year of giving the doctors a chance, and losing my job and apartment in the process, I took matters into my own hands with heavy drinking. After seeing the horrible consequences of alcohol abuse, I sought out help and was recommended marijuana; what a life changing recommendation!

I only wish I were in a medical state so my medical needs could better be met, but it seems like the selection is pretty good, nonetheless. I find that cycling sativas and indicas with my mood needs most effectively regulates me, allowing me to work, have a family, and live a mostly normal life.

I'm glad to hear others are making the switch! Keep up the good fight!

7. I am got my medical recommendation for my bipolar disorder. I was once on pharmaceutical mood stabilizers, but have since taken myself off them. Unfortunately my therapist and psychiatrist couldn't get over the fact that I smoked and instead of actually talking to me about my other issues were convinced that my once every other night marijuana usage was the biggest problem in my life. I was forced to stop going to both of them and therefore could no longer get my script for the Lamictal I was on.

Next time I am not going to even mention the fact that I smoke to either my therapist or psychiatrist. They just couldn't accept that I found it incredibly beneficial for the same reasons already mentioned. Manic? It calms me down to the point where I don't wanna speed off and get into trouble. Depressed? It lifts my spirits and gives me an overall sense of tranquility.

8. [quote name='"Wisty"']I am got my medical recommendation for my bipolar disorder. I was once on pharmaceutical mood stabilizers, but have since taken myself off them. Unfortunately my therapist and psychiatrist couldn't get over the fact that I smoked and instead of actually talking to me about my other issues were convinced that my once every other night marijuana usage was the biggest problem in my life. I was forced to stop going to both of them and therefore could no longer get my script for the Lamictal I was on.

Next time I am not going to even mention the fact that I smoke to either my therapist or psychiatrist. They just couldn't accept that I found it incredibly beneficial for the same reasons already mentioned. Manic? It calms me down to the point where I don't wanna speed off and get into trouble. Depressed? It lifts my spirits and gives me an overall sense of tranquility.[/quote]

I would strongly consider finding a doc who is more encouraging, and less judgmental, you shouldn't have to hide who you are from a therapist.

9. It's honestly been a feat and a half so far, and now that I have free very basic health insurance, I'm lucky it covers mental health at all... I'm only allowed to get treatment at this one clinic and that's the only psychiatrist there... There are other therapists however. I've been meaning to try again with them.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, but my hopes are not to high.