Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis and anxiety

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Leftek, Aug 23, 2016.

1. #1 Leftek, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    Never really used forums before so I'm gonna post this around under a few catagories haha.

I've been a heavy smoke for about six years now. Smoking loads until a few months ago when I decided to bring my tolerance down. Long story short I've always been good at smoking but I recently finished uni and had a panic attack after smoking too much bud one night.

I've been feeling more anxious in my sober state. A few days after, I assumed it was the cannabis that had caused this weird mindset but then realised that I'd been feeling really anxious before it without actually realising. I would just shake it off before but since the panic attack, I notice it a lot more now and obviously the more you feed anxiety with thought, the worse it gets. I speak to a therapist and we came to the understanding that it's been happening since I graduated. Huge amounts of emotion and stress leading up to final exhibitions/hand in and then, nothing. I was so busy all the time at uni and now I'm not. It's pretty shitty just sitting around trying to get a job.

So I quit smoking, it's been about 5 weeks now. My GF still smokes and I haven't really been tempted to smoke it as I don't want to become anxious from the thought of becoming anxious when I smoke. I really miss being stoned though, it's a lot of fun as I'm sure you all know. Over the months, I realise that when I smoke joints, I get more anxious than I do with pipes. So I've only smoked pipes for the last 4 months or so. I quit smoking tobacco and I only use a vape now. I've been looking into getting a herb vape to smoke with and this is where my series of questions to you all comes from.

The actual questions for thread:
    1) Has anyone else experienced this? Have you had a bad experience with cannabis that has tainted future cannabis use? If so, how did you resolve this?

2) Did anyone else take a break from smoking because of anxiety related problems and then start again? What were your experiences?

3) Does anyone else only use vape for anxiety based problems? What are your thoughts on doing so?

4) I live in London so we only really have Haze and Amnesia hybrids. Do you think that if/when medicinal happens here, a choice of cannabis would ease my mind for smoking it? Placebo effects etc?
    I don't really like sativas anyway plus I like to research my guy's bud before I get it.

5) Does anyone have anxiety and use cannabis as their medication? What is your story and did you use cannabis before? How has it effected you and what strains do you recommend?

6) I've read a lot on CBD only oils in vapes and CBD rich strains. Is there really a noticeable difference when you smoke them? We got no choice in the UK and people don't tend to want high CBD/low THC haha.

7) Does anyone have any suggestions/points that would be helpful for me?

2. Sometimes weed can bring on anxiety if u dont have the condition but if u have it and u smoke it it will probably just get worse. Marijuana is prescribed for anxiety so idk why it wouldnt help u with it

3. 1) I would say I have had one or two bad experiences with cannabis, but it was my environment that caused the bad feeling, not the cannabis.
    2) I took a break from smoking for a few months because my grades were suffering and I had a lot going on at the time. It helped me get out of that rut, but now I'm back to smoking and I feel like it is helping me anxiety now and helping me with school.
    3) I'm saving up for a good vape to use legal CBD oil in to help with my anxiety.
    4) Not 100% sure about this one, but medical dispensaries should definitely offer a strain that is high CBD low THC, that gives mostly medical effects and low psychoactive properties.
    5) I'm sure I have anxiety and some times are worse than others. Self medicating with marijuana has helped me very much, sometimes I will just take one or two hits and not actually get high, but I feel relief from stress and anxiety.
    6) Not sure, sorry. Will be purchasing a vape for CBD oil to try it out.
    7) In my experience, cannabis has helped anxiety and I am way more anxious in my sober state. I do think that certain things (like not wanting family or friends to know about you smoking or the law getting in the way) can make you more anxious when you smoke and, in that case, you might only want to smoke when you feel 100% safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. #4 .hopesfall., Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Hi Leftek I'm a daily smoker for 4 years now and anxiety/TICs are my main motivations to smoke, also already have experienced once this panic attack you quoted but I still believe it was because of bad quality weed and stupid quantity of joints.
    Nevertheless weed still helps me everyday especially for TICs and it helped me in the past coping with depression, self-harm and all these shits. But I was already super anxious before starting to smoke pot.

I've seen many people getting better with weed, including people suffering from Tourette's syndrome. Good environment and surrounding when smoking is crucial tho.

5. That exact experience happened to me. I smoked 10 bowls and had an anxiety attack so badly I felt like my heart was giving out. I have never had anxiety in my life, and ever since that experience I can't smoke anymore than a bowl without having that feeling again. It sucks so badly, but I totally get it pal.

I wish I had an answer for how to fix this, but I haven't found one yet. All I know is people with depression can develop anxiety when smoking too much ganja. Hope you feel better! X3