Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabis and Acid Reflux?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by VanWi1der, Sep 24, 2009.

1. I have acid reflux pretty bad and is constant as well as annoying. The other night I was suffering from severe stomach cramps from my acid reflux and tried several different medications only to come up empty handed. But I normally toke due to i get depressed sometimes and it so far has helped keep my mind from stressing over stuff and furthering hurting me emotionally. After tryin pepto, rolaids, etc. I was tired of not getting any results and tried toking a couple of bowls and my acid reflux was gone.

Now to my question, does cannabis have any medicinal value for my symptoms or was it simply a placebo effect that occurs from me wanting cannabis to help cure my acid reflux? I have had the same effects several times but I am not sure if they directly contribute to my recovery. I realize cannabis is a painkiller but I was just looking for a little bit more of a detailed description.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I have acid reflux too, it's not very major but it hurts the shit out of my throat when it happens. When I smoke I notice my throat doesn't hurt and I can tolerate acidic drinks more easily.

Does it really have any benefits to people with acid reflux? I'm not really sure, I think it helps me, but it may just be me thinking it helps.

3. dude i a m so glad i found this thread.

I started college out of state about two years ago. The first year was great, I was having fun, drinking smoking and all that. I gained like twenty pounds but it was cool. The last year, i developed severed GERD which I had suspected I had for a while, but now it was much worse. For over a year i threw up at LEAST once a day every single day. I lost over thirty pounds and had to move back home. Cannabis is the ONLY thing that has RELIABLY helped me, even though im now on Nexium. It works well, but not all the time. I'm definitely going to give this vinegar thing a try, thanks a lot cottons.

4. [​IMG]
    \t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t \t\t\t\t\t Endocannabinoids and the gastrointestinal tract: what are the key questions?

Wiley InterScience :: Session Cookies

"Cannabinoid (CB1) receptor activation acts neuronally, reducing GI motility, diarrhoea, pain, transient lower oesophageal sphincter relaxations (TLESRs) and emesis, and promoting eating."

(CB1 receptors are activated by THC.)

www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/9203932
    "Transient lower oesophageal sphincter relaxations (TLOSRs) has been found to be the main mechanism of gastro-oesophageal reflux."

They used the English spelling of "esophageal" but that's still GERD! So yes, cannabis helps prevent GERD. :hello:

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome. :)

6. LOL, I'm writting these down, their too funny.

7. PHP:

I too suffer from GURD, as well as IBS and other fun friends. I've lost some length of my small intestine as well (from surgery due to stomach issues).

Now on to if it treats it. I have found from research and personal experience, that it does in fact help temporarily treat/relieve many of the effect of GERD/IBS/etc. I have learned that during flare-ups, the first thing to reach for is the herb over prescribed synthetic medication.

Also, as for the vinegar "treatments"... They are extremely sketchy and the scientific proof is very slim. Coming from a long time sufferer and someone who has done a little research, I would really suggest against it. Because of the make up of your digestive tract, the vinegar could most likely cause long term and or permanent damage.

Another suggestion for you ask your Dr. to run you on "Aciphex" over Nexium. It is a 1 a day pill. If you have insurance that is awesome, if not it is about $160 for a 30-day supply. There is NO generic equivalent available. Or there is the black market for around $80 a bottle. Anywho, if you can give it a shot I strongly urge you to.

8. I might be crazy, but smoke from MJ actually causes me acid reflux

(well, anything does now that I'm fat)
    so I'd say no to actually asking a doctor if it will work

9. I am on Nexium too but I dont like taking pills so I try and stick to my MMJ :eek:

My nexium bottle that I am currently using says to only take it once a day which is better for me than twice (when I have to take it). Thanks for the info on the vinegar and thank you cotton for at least looking out and recommending it l0l!

10. If it is that much of a bother for you, try using a vaporizer. Being overweight does cause some issues with acid reflux for sure. Usually that is the first thing doctors say if you go in to see them over reflux and you are overweight. "Go to the gym fatty!@$!" At least that is what my doctor said to me years ago. haha.

11. It doesn't bother me TO much when I smoke and get Acid reflx, its mild, but I can feel it sometimes.
    I can't afford a vape anyway. :p belive me, my doctor tells me the same thing every time i visit him, when it dosen't even matter to the reason i'm there "you have a cold hmm? maybe cuz your fat"

12. I've heard both views; that weed makes acid reflux both better and worse.

For me, it definitely makes it better. I usually have to take Prevacid, but with weed, I can skip it and eat without any fear of heartburn :smoking: I'd say weed helped me get through my heartburn to a manageable state, it was absolutely destroying my life a few months ago

13. For me, its a matter of when and how i use mmj to treat my acid reflux...If i smoke to soon before bed, most likely ill sleep well...but ill be spending all of next morning throwing up stomach acid and bile. i have to limit myself to how much i smoke (you can overdue it, and i have). what works for me is ill normally wake-up, eat a little whole grain food, vape or smoke, and eat a little more right after. if stomach cramps persist throughout the day, then ill normally smoke once more, but if i smoke more than twice a day, ill end up throwing up the next morning.

14. #15 mogeen, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
    I was actually thinking vaporizing was causing my acid reflux
    I have severe GERD been fighting it for 2 years now. Prilosac and zantac stopped helping me after a while. 6 months ago I started with Raw Apple cider vinegar (2 TableSpoons) unfiltered and a shot of raw honey before and after every meal. Within 1 week I was totally off the Prilosac and Zantac which seemed to stop working anyway I would still sometimes get the heartburn but I also had severe digestive problems as well that seemed like IBS and they went away as well. 2 weeks ago I went to Europe for vacation with no weed and no cider vinegar. I come back to the vaporizer and I'm starting to get heartburn again but while in Europe never needed any antacid and IBS was gone. I don't know.... seems like every time I vaporize I get heartburn, eventually in my case it will grow to IBS. I wonder if the throat and sphincter in the throat is getting irritated. One thing for sure though, dont dismiss RAW unfiltered cider vinegar, it also helps with weight loss.

Something else I have to consider is on vacation I was not eating right before bed, but with Weed you get the munchies and eat, very bad for GERD

15. I have it too and for me cannabis has worked very well

16. This IMO is the best response in this thread.

Also, as for the vinegar "treatments"... They are extremely sketchy and the scientific proof is very slim. Coming from a long time sufferer and someone who has done a little research, I would really suggest against it. Because of the make up of your digestive tract, the vinegar could most likely cause long term and or permanent damage.

Ive tried all the "home remedies" and only wish I could have choked whoever came up with them, sorry , But for me it was torture .

Prilosec is so-so , It kinda works , but has side effects , it didnt really work for me . Nexium is by far the best Pill I have found to treat this , but it has many side effects that are undesirable .

Medical marijuana treats a lot of the side effects associated with GERD , IBS , Acid reflux , including nasuea , upset stomach , cramps , etc .

17. How bad is your acid reflux when you are off of medication? My dad has it to the point of not being able to keep food down. I mean he's sick about 20 minutes after he eats. Do you think that when medical mj is legalized in my area I should suggest that he ask his doctor about it or just kind of keep my treatments to myself. My parents have kind of a, well lets say "distorted", view of pot and my dad grew up with a brother that used to do everything from grow to distribute. Let me make it clear that he didn't sell it was purely non profit.

18. I can relate to this part totally, Herb > any medication for IBS flare up, because theres really nothing out there that offers better instant relief seriously.. makes shitting so much easier :hello:

19. I am definitely NOT a Doc. But it seems to work for me! That and Peppermint! Perfect combo!