Cannabis A Psychedelic

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by GreyEclipse, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Firstly, I would like to ask that all blades who reply maintain this threads good nature by keeping it intelligent and enlightening.

Secondly, I also ask that you all abide by GC rules although it may be hard when trying to analyze and compare cannabis as a psychedelic when most psychedelics are of the unmentionable kind.

And finally, I ask that blades who are not open minded to cannabis being anything other than a downer, please do not reply unless you have reputable sources for your information and links to these sources. Without further ado...

Oh and lastly, I would also like to hear from guys who have links from reputable sources on the subject of the brains reaction to the intake of cannabis, mainly from the stand of what makes cannabis a psychedelic/UPPER/DOWNER. For example, it's action on the Cannabanoid receptors, GABA receptors, dopamine, serotonin, and any other similarities to its action on the brain comparable to other psychedelics. I'd also like to hear about its action on the nervous system which directly correlates to its classification as a psychedelic/Upper/Downer.

My research and experience has lead me to believe that cannabis has psychedelic properties, properties of the upper group and of the downer class. From my research on EROWID I have found that cannabis increases the heart rate(upper property) and yet decreases the blood pressure(downer property). It's mental effects are also comparable to the effects of uppers AND downers. Sometimes causing paranoia/anxiety(upper property) and sometimes causing drowsiness/lethargy(downer property). Now the most interesting to me personally is cannabis effects as a mild psychedelic. I have personally felt its psychedelic effects a few times after long T breaks and/or really potent green. I have also seen a documentary where a woman was experimenting with cannabis and it's effects. She went to a research lab and they shot CBDs directly into her blood stream which made her intensely happy and had all the effects of normal cannabis. The next day she went to the same lab and was injected with pure THC and the effects were obviously psychedelic, her exact response to a question by the doctor was, "I feel like I am in another room conversing with someone." and " I feel like there are two realities and I can't determine at this moment which is real." That said, if you go onto erowid and compare the cannabis effects to unmentionable psychedelics you will find that they are similar. Now that said, I would like I know the direct action of cannabis on the brain that makes the effects achievable but at the same time I doubt that there is evidence strictly because there had not been enough research on this topic especially on the unmentionables, not enough to compare to. Although I am hoping someone can prove me wrong and show me a link to the info.

I've written a short story so I am going to cut myself short for now and hopefully get some awesome replies.

Oh and one last thing, please don't mention hallucinations! If you have experienced the unimaginable then you should have realized that it was either your subconscious mind expanding to open another door of reality or your perception of reality was simply altered.

Psyche

2. From personal experience alone yes I would consider it a psychedelic for sure, not on the same level as the big boys but one none the less. It definitely can increase the effects of other psychedelics dramatically when used in unison.

3. id consider it one.

especially indicas for me.. the hash i regularly smoke melts you into your seat, and you can feel music vibrating throughout you.

not to mention i cant count how many times ive had it seem like i was seeing less frames per second or some shit, where you can see it like clicking from one moment to the next.

its definitely a psychadelic, it just doesnt cause full blown hallucinations of any kind.

4. #4 jas43, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012
    If you've ever grown/smoked certain sativa heavy or truly epic hybrid phenotypes of certain strains then yes i'd consider it a psychedelic if you're comparing it to "common" psychedelics.
    Not all strains are that way though.
    Thats the beauty.

I've produces certain sativa/ sativa dominant strains that you barely feel in your body but.... your mind and face are just fucked (in a great way) for hours. Damn near overwhelming.
    Almost to the level of other consumables.

It all depends on the strain and specific phenotype and chemotype.

Happy blazing :)

5. In my point of view once u start it regularly it definitely changes your perception , i.e how the way you see things, how you understand them. This is unique to psychedelics.

6. I would definitely consider it a mild psychedelic, but it's unique among drugs. There's nothing else quite like it

7. I would say that anybody who has experience with psychedelics knows that there are similarities when smoking cannabis.

Coming off of a t-break seems to make the effects more noticeable.

I've even experienced a form of ego-loss from cannabis. Ahhh the noob days... how I miss them.

8. Yeah I noticed that during my first days, I smoked sativa give me visuals that made me feel I was in a cartoon and these visuals were fast paced head racing that looked rushed; if you smoke a shitload of Sativa without feeling anxiety or paranoia you could get some mild psychedelics effects but also since it puts its a head high which can going further deep into your thoughts but depends on the person's personality and perception.

9. My first few encounters with 99% pure wax I got so high I had the spins. But I experienced visual hallucinations, the trees in the distance had faces made in the bare branches (winter).
    And I also believe it to be a phycsdelic because it increases visuals In another phycsdelic experience .

10. And maybe indica can at times only exhibit downer qualities but a sativa can have you in another state not comparable to a weed high (rare but happens).

11. yeah, the high that sativa induces is always intense than indica.

12. I consider cannabis to be a psychedelic of sorts
    No psychedelic is really the same as any other.

13. [quote name='"Psychedelicme"']

yeah, the high that sativa induces is always intense than indica.[/quote]

I typically thought that sativa was more of an upper, indica a downer and both could be psychedelic depending on THC content.

Psyche

14. #14 Helikaon, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2012
    Speaking purely subjectively I wouldn't consider it a psychedelic.If you take a psychedelic there is no question in it. It either is psychedelic, or it is not. It's black and white, night and day, order and chaos.

4 years of smoking cannabis the effects of the wonderful plant have never made me hallucinate, caused me to develop short term megalomania to the point that I am convinced that I'm the only reality, warp perception of the natural laws , allowed me to embrace eternity nor caused absolutely irresistible empathy. On the flip side (i.e. negative effects) smoking a joint has never caused my unconscious mind to terrorize my conscious mind with all my flaws and fears.

Cannabis has led me to ideas and thoughts that cause me to question reality, whether though research or debates amongst friends but those weren't physical effects of the healing herb but those were my creations and I was able to question them. You cannot question psychedelic effects, you either accept what is happening or you have a really bad time.

15. [quote name='"Helikaon"']Speaking purely subjectively I wouldn't consider it a psychedelic.If you take a psychedelic there is no question in it. It either is psychedelic, or it is not. It's black and white, night and day, order and chaos.

4 years of smoking cannabis the effects of the wonderful plant have never made me hallucinate, caused me to develop short term megalomania to the point that I am convinced that I'm the only reality, warp perception of the natural laws , allowed me to embrace eternity nor caused absolutely irresistible empathy. On the flip side (i.e. negative effects) smoking a joint has never caused my unconscious mind to terrorize my conscious mind with all my flaws and fears.

Cannabis has led me to ideas and thoughts that cause me to question reality, whether though research or debates amongst friends but those weren't physical effects of the healing herb but those were my creations and I was able to question them. You cannot question psychedelic effects, you either accept what is happening or you have a really bad time.[/quote]

That is why we use the term mild.

But I fully respect and appreciate your opinion and I can tell that you've been there, you are among a fellow space traveller, haha. Respect, brother.

Psyche

16. #16 Helikaon, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2012
    Haha. yeah like I said that just my experience. I know there's some bud out there that would kick my ass into next week, I've just never smoked it. Sadly.

Safe travels :)

17. i have had inner trippings with sativa strains before like minds eye stuff {landscapes,flying,people, memorys and stuff} as good as a low dose psilocybin , interesting i remember reading that nostradamus used to have cannabis journeys that were part of his 'seeing' into the future fabrics of time and space

18. Cannabis is a psychedelic drug, THC is a naturally psychoactive molecule. That's all there is to it. It is the high CBD (cannabidiol) content in Indica strains that give it a 'downer' effect and the lack of it in Sativa strains that creates the 'upper' effect. This is because CBD blocks some of the effects of THC upon the function of the brain. The up effect of sativa strains is not so much because it has additional properties but more to do with high THC content and comparatively low CBD.

19. I had read on a self-proclaimed hippie's blog that delta-11 THC is more psychoactive than delta-9. He said he discovered this after cooking fire-crackers at 250 Fahrenheit to preserve the THC content rather than vaporizing it in the oven, and apparently delta-11 is a metabolite produced by the liver when cannabis is eaten.

Here's his blog.

One thing to take away from that blog entry is "tripping balls."

Personally, after having smoked a few sativa strains, I can say yes - certainly psychedelic. Before I really got into smoking I checked it out on erowid, though, and the user accounts there, plus THC's classification as a psychoactive (like Kradiant said), made it obvious to me.

20. My brother had what i could best figure was a 'cannabis induced psychotic disorder'. A few things to note, the way he described it, it was extrordinarly horrifying. It sounded like a horrible 'trip' but far more real and less fanciful? Never been tripped good nor bad. It is unlikely it was laced as no others that partook experienced anything abnormal. He has never smoked again. I feel bad since that is so extremely rare but i would say it SOUNDED like a psychedelic experience of sorts. I have had psychedelic experiences as well just nothing of that magnitude. Anyone else have or know anyone who has had something similar? If anyone is curious i could someewhat describe it as i can remember him telling me. Years have gone by and he is still uneasy talking about it so i dont really probe.