Cannabinol Vaporization Temperatures

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by jakesterjammin, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Saw this on a different forum and I could not agree more.

The source for the data in those tables were derived from other, compound specific, actual lab work. AND if you trace some of them back to the OG lab work (which wasn't easy to do), you will find out that all of these temps were determined with pure samples of the compound in question and most of these temps were done in a vacuum while some were done at sea level of a standard atmosphere (29.92 inches of mercury, right?).

So, none of what we vape are pure samples of a compound, all of them are contained within a complex plant material matrix, and few of us vape in a vacuum.

I hate those tables and think they have misled a lot of people into believing that they can selectively extract to that kind of resolution.

If you want that kind of individual compound separation, you need to start looking at solvent extraction and then multi-stage fractional distillation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't believe in vaping at different temperatures to burn off certain chemicals. Weed is typically decarboxylated at 350 F for 30 minutes. So this theory about how the THC burns off at some super low temperature just doesn't make sense.
    I like to start at a low temperature so I don't get more than I want for my purpose. Then keep using the same load of weed later at a higher temperature. Eventually I have it turned up all the way to extract the last amount it can extract. Then I dump it in a jar to use it for something else at a later date. As I know their is probably a lot of good stuff still in the weed.
    What we need is for the vaporizers to go up to the highest temperature possible, before combusting harmful chemicals like carbon monoxide etc.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. I don't believe in long, slow/steady thermostatic schemes neither, keeping in mind that temperature only reflects a physical reaction after some delay and vice-versa. Take note that in Pulse Heating it's timing instead which prevents everything to get broiled...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. I keep my Davinci IQ around 360-370.

5. It is a pity that most devices do not have a specific heating temperature, and we simply do not know what is the best taste

6. I wouldn't go any lower than 350 F. And no higher than 430 F. And I wouldn't dump the weed until exhausted at 430 F. The 2 vaporizers I own have a high range of 428 to 430 F. So I would guess any higher than that will cause harmful combustion.

7. Sorry to necro this, but I still just don't get these charts. I saw one where the very first boiling point was 105C for the activation of THC-A. I tend to vape at around 190-200C. Am I getting all of the benefits that begin at 105, or do some of them burn off when the temperature gets too high? Is the implication that if you want the most of a certain terpene's benefits, you should vape at around that temperature? Because I sure as hell can't fathom vaping at 168C for an entire oven-full just so I can max out on the B-myrcene.

8. I've come to the conclusion that everyone is looking at vaping the wrong way. They tell us to decarboxylate the cannabis at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. So if I vape at the highest temperature of 430 F for 5 minutes that is close to the same thing. We are only decarboxylating the cannabis,inhaling the fumes, and then wasting it by dumping it out. We should save the vaped weed and make tincture or something else out of it. As most of the chemicals are still in the Cannabis.

10. I'm sure the experts will chime in soon. I've read that if you do not burn the weed up too bad, save up the leftovers until you have about an ounce. Then you can make oil/tincture.

11. My little Spirit Storm vape is super tasty at 185°C 365f. An uplifting stone. I then stir it up and go at 195°C 383f. The higher temp is more sedative for sure. If you look at the vaped weed after it should be a nice even brown no darker than tobacco IMO. Any black and you are starting to combust which is the reason I wanted to vape in the first place, to be a healthier consumer. I think the colour of the vaped bud is a good indication that your temp readings are accurate. Stirring the bowl definitely gets more value out of your weed.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

12. M'well...

Of course i never had a "joint" which lasted a full 30 minutes (certainly not unless its fire was extinguished anyway!), but i'd have been most willing to try (if only i hadn't converted to vaporism irreversably since 2011)...

All those years before my conversion i thought i was decarboxylated while it was apparently just a mirage!!

Can you imagine the money i could have saved not smoking a non-activated mirage!...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  13. I was off by 100 degrees. You actually decarboxylate at 250 degrees F for 30 minutes. Not 350 degrees F! This temperature is well below that vaporization temperatures. So disregard my remarks in the posts above.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Still no explanation as to how it decarboxylates enough in a joint where the heat exchange lasts seconds instead of minutes...

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  15. The hotter it gets the faster it decarboxylates. Your basically vaping off of a burning ember.

Laszlo, paper presented at the CORESTA/Tobacco Chemists' Joint Conference, Williamsburg, Virginia, October 1972) have recorded temperatures of about 850–920° C during a puff, 700° C (below the surface ash) during smoulder, and short-lived hot spots on the coal's surface as high as 1200° C (ref. 5).

16. ...

Whatever, it's still "hitting" in a matter of seconds and no, if it had been heat-denaturated by combustion then nobody would have ever made a fuss of "joints" in the 1st place, since carbonized THC is no longer THC i presume... Not to mention it doesn't explain how my vaporizer works neither, but how could anyone know that anyway!

IMO it's got to be about a "bouquet" of molecules somehow ready to become airborne and leave the bowl when the heat wave passes by then depletes. But i'm wasting time & energy for no good purose here.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. What happens to the ideal vaporization temperature when the bowl is only a few millimeters thick and it's right next to a heat source quite ready to flood it almost instantly with 100 Joules of energy per 125 mg or so, then purge just as fast (...)? That's the idea with time-compressed pulse-heating. Infinite heat passing through the vegetal substrate in an infinitely brief instant, euh... Which dimension shal prevail over the other??

Or do i need to repeat my referal to "heat-shaving the hairy legs of a spider" (e.g. while still leaving it alive, of course, or else there would be no challenge!)...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Не думал, что их так много)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Один рождается каждый день

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Blah, blah. Pipi, caca.

Pass the infection, probably imported from FuckCombustion/DynaVap/TrudeauManiacs, go figure...

• Disagree Disagree x 1