Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabinoid testing

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by OldCannaPro, Feb 9, 2018.

1. mg/mL is the best way to specify potency for tincture users.
    Knowing how many drops or droppers full to use is easier than having to weigh out a tincture dose.

• Like Like x 2
  2. The next testing I plan on doing meself is a grain alcohol transfer to the medium.

Before I have infused directly with hash/wax to coconut oil and cocoa butter.

I am also interested in making a CBD only version of my medicine with CBD isolate as the base with added terps.

I am negotiating with my lab soon for new testing, I shall also report back!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. No, no. It's 5 mg per ml. You use oils which are liquid so the unit of measure is milliliters. Each milliliter of this alcohol base has 5 milligrams or 150mg per 30ml. That abbreviation is mg/ml and represents the potency per milliliter of the base and also the oils once your transfer is complete.

I don't consider doses. I go for total strength per weight ounce of the cream. I shoot for a total of 120mg per ounce. I've researched other ointments/salves and most are 60mg/oz and most people find them adequate. I wanted mine to be better than the ones I had tried. I use a soft creamy salve that spreads easily. Less than half a gram if I had to put a number on it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. That is for the sample size which was 1ml. I usually count the total cannabinoids then round down to the nearest whole number so in this case the sample was 15.87mg/ml which would have technically been 158.7mg per fluid ounce. :mellow:

5. You haven't done a transfer before? :huh:

6. Not completely! After I started becoming more interested in tincture I was always using it as is or making the mouth spray. I am very interested in how the effects may differ as well as lab analysis because I am missing me some hash caps something fierce - I work best when I have all the variety of meds to dabble with. Only vape and tincture with more health issues has been rough, need to get cooking!

Edit: I always used prior the hash infused into coconut oil (ala BnW) for all the other edible goodies and topical creations!

• Like Like x 2
  7. The hash caps are my mainstay and primary method of dosing with a very long duration of 6-8 hours.
    Tincture is a fast acting hit like smoking but wears off fast on me like a toke does. 45-60 minute high.
    RSO, that I reduce the tincture to and add Coconut oil-lecithin has as long a duration as the Hash version but is far more bitter and causes loose stool in high amounts. Has about half the strength of the pure hash versions.
    Tincture added to Ejuice @5% has taken up most of the slack I used to toke to cover when I need it right now.

Down to a couple of tokes a week and that's mostly just lighting the hash pipe for the Mrs. Not something I think about reaching for any longer.
    For topical use I try and use the hash base as it's far less staining then the tincture-RSO base. Seems to work just as well externally as internally. Cuts, Bruises, (Old people blood bruise just looking at us). All fade much faster when I topical.
    [​IMG]
    Typical if I brush a doorway absentmindedly. The next day I'll look like I lost the fight.
    2 weeks untreated. 10 days or less if I topical. Done it enough times on just half the area to know it does work.
    BNW

• Like Like x 1
  8. That looks like one of my arms.

If I use Green Dragon for my infuser I get a nice off white cream. If I use leftovers then I get the green stuff that works well but isn't pretty and will stain. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Thanks for sharing that info! I forget that most people use trim for infusions and tinctures. I just use bud for the most part, I do make kief with my trim. I am really trying to help an old friend find relief from a condition, I appreciate any and all help you guys provide.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Here's how I do mine and there's a video at the bottom. :)

Topical Creations - Part 4 w/video Strength Post 10062

11. Hand raised here.... Love to see your results!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Just received my new test supply of ten plates, decarb'd all material together, weighed/measured out all carrier oils 1/2 cup/96gm - per 7gms bud, everything is in a slow cooker for three days bringing to steady 124 degrees fahrenheit for 4 to 6 hours, then off, repeating each day. taking several opportunities to shake mixture when in liquid form. I have five mixes going, olive oil, shea butter, coconut oil, grapeseed, and avocado oil, and saved 100mg of decarb'd plant to test comparison. Is there anything I am forgetting? Thanks for your interest.

• Like Like x 2
  13. It seems you've got everything covered. How did you derive those particular parameters for your process? Each oil is going to have it's own extraction rate and that's what I'm going to be interested in. My oils are carrier oils using the previously extracted alcohol base to infuse but an extraction is going to depend on the saturated fat in each oil instead. I've not seen a side by side of that. It should be educational if nothing else. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. that's just my normal way of infusing oils as far as proportions, measures and methods. For this experiment I think the key is having everything equal, same plant, decarb time, temp and duration, heat and soak times. I am new at all this and fascinated by it all. I am really happy to be a native Coloradan where it's legal to grow, and then to top it off, after all these years I learn that it's healthy and has medical benefits. I can't wait to see what they learn next. Thanks for all your advise Sam!

• Like Like x 1
  15. I agree that everything needs to be the same for each one. I was just curious about the temperature and 3 day processing. For the coconut and olive oils that first 4-6 hour block of time should be good but the others could very well need the extra processing. By doing them all the same you may see some interesting results in the cannabinoid conversion in those. I can already see the next series of tests in my mind. If I had the resources that I used to have, I'd be jumping on that wholeheartedly. Just_Cuz_06 (2015_10_01 04_32_03 UTC).gif

• Like Like x 1
  16. That's an interesting thought. Is it your experience that Olive and Coconut oils absorb fully in less time than some of the others? I have been thinking in terms of creating a more potent product, do you see any other outcomes or learning experience from this test? If I learn, lets say, that Grape seed oil is less absorbent, I will stop using it.

17. What would be your next series of tests?

18. I've empirically tested all the cooking oils from Avocado to Saffron and only changed oil as the parameter for my testing with everything else remaining the same. Same hash. Same weights, measures and times and temps.
    Very little actual difference with 1 exception and that being Lard-rendered Bacon fat. Noticeably longer to take effect but a corresponding extended total time high. And damn are they the tastiest of them all.
    My basic 20 minutes at 220 F, Freeze and repeat does the trick as far as I'm concerned. Any longer is degrading IMO. I want it as up lifting and get up and go as possible since I use it 24 hours a day and longer processing just makes me sleep.

BNW

19. Yes, I'm pretty sure that's how it will work out. Coconut oil and olive oil are high in saturated fat. Cannabinoids and saturated fat are better extractors than unsaturated due to the molecular structure which allows cannabinoids to attach. The coconut oil I have has 14g of fat per serving of 14g and 58% of that, 12g, is saturated fat. Olive oil only has 9% as saturated fat, my avocado oil has 10%. Shea butter is high in saturated fat but I haven't seen the figures anywhere. The bacon fat that BnW uses is almost fully saturated.

The thing is that many of those oils also have excellent topical benefits which are enhanced when combinied. You may want to compare your results and choose whichever has the highest extraction percentage and use it as your active oil in the topical, using the virgin version of the others as supplemental ingredients. Of course, that means that you would have to have your active oil potent enough to offset the non-infused oil.

You're new at this so you may want to consider giving some thought to infusing your oils instead of extracting with them directly from the material and that way you can get higher concentrations in the lighter oils. Grapeseed is very popular for some tinctures as is hempseed oil. Learn your way around with these extractions, though. It's the best way to actually learn for yourself.

You'll be wanting to look at the compounds that you're extracting and comparing that to your source material. They can convert differently in different conditions, time and heat being the main factors. It's just really a good educational experience and can give you a firmer foundation upon which to build your knowledge. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. My next series of tests would be around the extraction times. I would do the same thing you're doing now except just use one heat cycle in your crockpot instead of three. The purpose for this is to streamline your process. You'd be looking for any differences such as less CBN or changes to the CBG & CBC, up or down or absent. Then you would compare the overall values. It could save you 2 days in that process. :sneaky:

• Agree Agree x 1