Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cannabinoid Binding Duration

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by SimonJames4444, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Hello Grass City dwellers,
    I've recently joined here and have visited this site as a non-member for a while, reading as much as I can online and following the links to research etc …

There's only one last concern I have before I get hold of some lovely herbaceousness.

I have used the search on here and read as many existing posts on this as I could find, but this is quiet specific...

I'll get to the question now as the rest of this message is just about why I stopped ages ago, and now thinking of starting again (feel free to not bother reading the last bit)

The main part I really need advice on is this …. The possible issue of how permanently can cannabinoids cause a possible reduction in testicle function, lower testosterone production, possible erectile dysfunction and a few other questionable negative side effects (I am aware that most of this is likely to be scare mongering and of the encouraging research that contradicts negative reports)

So the question is this: How long do cannabinoids bind to our receptors for? Is there any research I can get links for with answers to this? (Especially for the issues I just mentioned as I'm getting older and want to keep hold of some of my virility :D )

So even if there are any negative effects at all, then I would guess (and hope) that it would only be an issue for as long as it is in your system until cannabinoids “un-bind” from our receptors. I'm assuming it's only a matter of days that they bind to receptors, but maybe it's longer for different cannabinoids and different receptors around the body?

Thanking you in advance!! :) :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's my brief history with weed if you're interested ….

I'm 43 yrs old and used to smoke weed on weekends when I was 20-22 yrs old. I always assumed it was probably no good for me, but I liked the highs.

After a few bad trips and a really bad night of paranoia, I just stopped completely and stuck with alcohol from then on.

Back to now, and after a rough few years from various life circumstances, I always turned to alcohol (too much) to try to block out various negative aspects of life.

A friend of ours visits sometimes and recently left me one joint to try if I wanted to. Remembering I hadn't smoked weed for over 20 years (and the last time was a pretty bad experience) I cautiously tried it because I was keen to stop getting tanked up on beer every weekend and all the health problems alcohol can - and has caused me.

I had half of that joint and stopped just to be extra cautious. Not really knowing what to expect as it had been so long, I was very pleasantly surprised. A bit scary at first with some visual and audio stuff going on etc ... then giggles and then this huge flow of ideas for stuff that felt as though they had been in my head all along but something needed to open the gate to let all the ideas out.

Two sheets of A4 full of scribbled ideas later … with answers to all sorts off problems, from DIY, 2 new businesses (one of which is now up and running and the second wont be long), family issues, organising my time better, gym ideas etc.... I couldn't write it all down fast enough!

So the following week I had the other half and had exactly the same thing, and thought I should look into this cannabis stuff a bit more. Maybe it's not as bad for you as I used to think....

I've read a fair bit now and have been looking for the bad stuff as much as the good stuff. All I can say is I can not believe this stuff is not legal!

It's unbelievable how many positives there are to cannabis! I feel like I've been cheated out of 20 years of having a much safer, relaxed and productive life.

This site is great and full of info and the opportunity to ask more informed people … so here I am :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome in. @SimonJames4444

Age Mid 60s here and Cannabis has never interfered with my sex life and I have over 40 years of continuous use. My "Virility works just fine" but thanks for asking. :)

In my case I gave up Alcohol over 20 years ago and don't miss it one bit. That stuff IS Poison.
    Here in California Cannabis became quasi legal back in 1996 and I'd been smoking as far back as 1970 and growing since 1976.
    Second generation user as my Father smoked quite a bit of Cannabis in the 1910s and 1920s when he was a young man. Would have kept on but his first and second wife's didn't approve.

Think I was about 15 when we had a little Man to Man talk about Alcohol and Cannabis and he gave me his views and his personal preferences. He wished the world had been more Cannabis approved then Alcohol.

I've used the Herb for decades recreationally but that all changed in 2011 when I underwent 3 rounds of Surgery that messed me up but good. Now I use edible Hash based Coconut oil capsules I make myself to control the resulting pain I was left with.

I've helped others over the years gifting edibles to Cancer Patients on Chemo and a couple of people as actively using Cannabis as the Cancer drug Treatment after the medical industry sent them home to die with " We've done all we can for you, You have 30 days to live"
    High doses of RSO ( Rick Simpson Oil ) kept both alive and in far better health for 2 more years.
    =====================================From the web
    How Long Does Marijuana Stay in Your System?

There is no perfect formula for determining exactly how long marijuana, weed, THC or pot stays in someone's system during a urine, blood, saliva or hair drug test - let's look at what different factors can alter the number of days (varies from 30 to 120 days since last smoking weed) marijuana will show up in an unexpected drug test.

It’s no secret that marijuana is a commonly used, mostly-illegal drug in many parts of the United States, which is ironic because although it can be misused it has not caused any sort of death overdose epidemic like heroin has. Because of this, drug tests are often administered if there is suspicion of use or a past history of use. In order to understand how long marijuana stays in your system, it is important to understand what marijuana is, how it is used or abused and how it affects the body in relation to drug testing for THC.
    People who smoked marijuana in the last:
    • 30-45 days can fail a urine drug test for THC
    • 60-75 days can fail for a marijuana blood test
    • up to 90 days can fail for a hair follicle drug test looking for moderate to high THC levels
    Thanks to unique rates at which users who smoked marijuana break-down the levels of THC in their bodies these date ranges of the chance to fail a marijuana drug test can range in length and THC levels detected in urine, blood, hair or saliva.

Types of Marijuana Drug Testing
    • Testing urine is one of the most common methods for determining marijuana use. With a urine test, 9-carboxy-THC is often the substance that is being detected, rather than actual marijuana.
    • When it comes to testing for marijuana use, blood tests are not often utilized. This is because blood tests have a narrow window of time to detect marijuana use. These tests typically cannot detect marijuana use unless the test is done within a few hours of when a person smokes or ingests marijuana, which is when the THC is still in the blood stream. Unlike urine tests, blood tests do not identify metabolites (9-carboxy-THC) which are the longer-lasting compounds produced by marijuana use. One occasion in which a blood test may be utilized is if law enforcement suspects someone has been driving under the influence of marijuana.
    • Similar to blood tests, saliva tests can only detect marijuana within a few hours of use, and cannot detect any metabolites from marijuana use.
    • Like a urinalysis, testing hair strands can detect metabolites in the body after they pass from the bloodstream to the hair follicle. According to Omega Laboratories, “Hair testing analyzes a hair sample for parent drugs and their metabolites. A hair specimen, collected from a donor’s head or body, is sent to the laboratory and is screened for illicit substances.”
    How Long Does Marijuana Stay in Your System?
    Marijuana itself does not stay in the body for long periods of time, which is why hemp and other marijuana based products are safe to use and will not cause you to fail a drug test for marijuana. Instead, chemicals from marijuana do. THC, the main chemical in marijuana, is the chemical that creates a high and is what remains in the system.

Though the effects of THC wear off within a few hours of ingesting marijuana, traces of the chemical can remain in the body for weeks.

This is because after marijuana passes from the lungs to the blood stream, THC bonds to fat cells, then breaks down over time. The amount of time this takes depends on a variety of factors, including the amount of marijuana used, the method it’s used, the frequency of use, a user’s metabolism and the amount of THC in the marijuana. There are two main substances that show up in drug tests and indicate marijuana use: THC and 9-carboxy-THC, which is a byproduct of the metabolism of THC. This substance, also called a metabolite, is detectable for a longer period of time than THC. Marijuana can show on a urine, blood, saliva or hair follicle drug test for up to 120 or more days, depending on a number of factors – so always make sure to do your research before making a huge mistake.
    =========================================== End Web quote.
    That should answer your questions.
    Edible:: The stone can last up to 8 hours or 4 days depending on your personal reaction to a good edible.
    Smoked / Vaped:: The effects last for 45 minutes to all day, again we see some people with just a few tokes to feel "Not right" for days after.
    Tinctures:: Acts like Smoking to me so 45 minutes or so.

BNW

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks for that BNW, muchly appreciated!

I'm in England and I think we're way more backward on this than yourselves. It's commonly used underground, but I think up until now most people wrongly assume it's just another harmful drug but take it anyway for the highs.

I didn't know most of the info you gave, so it's really good to know and add to the information gathering process.

I may have this wrong but the way my head sees this then is – tests for cannabis use show that cannabinoids are on a kind of timed release, back into the body for excretion from various cells - including fat cells.

But what I'm specifically looking for is any proof of (aprox) duration that cannabinoids are found to reside in the receptors and/or cells - responsible for erectile tissue in the penis, testicular function (eg. Leydig cells), testosterone production...etc

Eg. my worst worry is that cannabinoids reside on the erectile tissue and/or leydig cells for many months or even years. (And that the tests you mentioned wouldn't show this, as they only look for the cannabinoids in circulation (blood, urine etc) – and not the cannabinoids that may still be held onto for x amount of time by various vulnerable cells and receptors in the body ...

4. Google Scholar

Try this. It is mostly in medical jargon and hard to follow at times. Can try searching the Scholar part of google with various search terms.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  5. Granny Storm Crow is another place to look for that. She keeps a HUGE list of all kinds of Cannabis related subjects and keeps it up to date

THE LIST

BNW

6. Google Scholar
    scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_vis=1&q=cannabinoid+duration+on+erectile+tissue+and+leydig+cells+&btnG=
    BNW

7. @SimonJames4444

But what I'm specifically looking for is any proof of (aprox) duration that cannabinoids are found to reside in the receptors and/or cells - responsible for erectile tissue in the penis, testicular function (eg. Leydig cells), testosterone production...etc

Eg. my worst worry is that cannabinoids reside on the erectile tissue and/or leydig cells for many months or even years. (And that the tests you mentioned wouldn't show this, as they only look for the cannabinoids in circulation (blood, urine etc) – and not the cannabinoids that may still be held onto for x amount of time by various vulnerable cells and receptors in the body ...

==========================================

In short I'd have to say yes. I read quite fast and a good level of comprehension and can wade through tons of details looking for that kernel of actual truth. Mind you most are studies on rat or frog test subjects and tissues from the same.
    I covered the first 15 or so on the list.
    Some of the studies suggest even a single exposure can alter all of the subjects you list.
    [​IMG]
    Keep in mind not all studies are done for purely altruistic means. Many are biased as hell if the funder had an axe to grind or wanted the results skewed in a different direction.

Who cares about the facts?? LMAO Facts ? We don't need no stinking Facts.
    [​IMG]
    :)
    BNW

8. This is great stuff, thank you so much!!

Just back from work, so going to start reading through bit by bit :)

Thanks again Mr BNW :thankyou: