Cannabidiol as treatment for psychosis...

Discussion in 'General' started by chronictoker, Aug 7, 2007.

1. HAHA. success! Some positive studies about marijuana as a possible treatment for psychosis...I've been thinking about this a lot lately...as it helps me with my conditions greatly (though I don't have psychosis).

article:
    "There has been a lot of press lately about the danger of Cannabis (Marijuana) causing psychosis and triggering schizophrenia. The main ingredient that is thought to be the trigger for psychosis and schizophrenia is "THC" (tetrahydrocannabinol), which is the active ingredient of marijuana which causes the "high".

Over the years in an effort to get a stronger and more powerful marijuana drug with a stronger "punch" to it, cannabis has been grown to have an increasingly greater amount of THC. This has been at the expense of a lesser known active ingredient of cannabis - a cannabinoid called Cannabidiol (CBD). In fact, the strongest (and most harmful) form of marijuana that has hit the streets in Europe, "skunk", is grown with many more times the amount of THC as the older marijuana had, and very little, if any, CBD. Even small doses of THC can produce temporary psychotic symptoms.

It has been found that Cannabidiol may have a calming, stabilizing effect on the brain - which may help to counteract some of the damage in the brain caused by THC.

Researchers hope to formulate a new medication for schizophrenia based on Cannabidiol.

According to a study which compared this active ingredient, Cannabidiol, with a leading antipsychotic drug (Amisulpride), Cannabidiol might inhibit psychotic symptoms in people with schizophrenia, causing fewer side-effects.

Lead researcher of the study, Dr Marcus Leweke, of the University of Cologne, noted:
    "There is a possibility that there are good guys and bad guys in cannabis. THC is the bad guy, but there is a small body of literature that suggested CBD may prevent the induction of psychotic symptoms. Our study supports that view."

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005024.html
    full study can be found here: http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjmbr/v39n4/6164.pdf

2. Wow Thats intresting, I would love an alterntive to Amisulpride. It seems to be the only med that works on me. But the side effects are slowly breaking my body down.

3. Well it's smack dab in the middle of an anti-weed hit job piece so take it with a grain of salt. The news media sucks ass at interpreting scientific studies.

4. I can see it now...

Breaking news! Cannabidiol-deficient strains of the deadly plant marijuana hit the streets! Experts agree that lacking cbn in plants can increase the dangers of psychosis caused by new potent strains of marijuana. The ganja our children are smoking today have an even greater chance of developing psychosis than the "dope" of previous generations.