Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Canna oil or butter for brownies

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by SupaaBaked, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Ill have anywhere from a half oz to an oz of trim by the time my harvest is complete and the only legetimate edible ive ever had was a cheeba chew. Everything ive ever bought off the street was bunk. It doesnt matter which one is easier. I know you can keep oil longer but is there a difference in potency between oil and butter? I want to make the most potent brownies i possibly can with the trim ill have (i dont keep many fan leaves either so mostly sugar leaves). Thanks in advance everybody.

2. #2 BadKittySmiles, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
    Coconut oil (and for most people, lecithin) will provide the most rapid and reliable absorption medium for cannabis glandular material. 

This is due to the high MCT and saturated fat contents of the coconut oil (and due to the highly bioavailable phosphlipids within the lecithin which, in conjunction with the same caprylic 8-carbon acids found in coconut oil, are now being utilized in the most modern and efficient pharmaceutical/prescription grade medications to aid in and enhance the bioavailability of both water soluble and insoluble chemicals when taken orally, and to enhance even the transdermal absorption of both oil and alcohol based solutions)! :yay:

It's also worth mentioning that palm kernel oil is virtually equal in MCT and saturated fat content, not palm oil from the fruit/flesh, but specifically the kernel oil. I don't often bring palm kernel oil up though, because palm kernel oil, especially of the food grade variety, is not only a bit less common and more difficult to find than coconut oil, but many people mistakenly purchase palm flesh oil, which is more readily available and no better than most kitchen oils, and while it's often a red-orange color it can be clarified or bleached, making it appear very similar to the kernel oil they are actually after!

Clarified butter is your next best bet, it only contains 1/3 - 1/4 of the MCT content of coconut oil and less saturated fat, but it's MUCH better than other shelf-stable, common, grocery store oils which contain few to no MCTs or sat fats at all. :)

3. I have a whole jar of some nice coconut oil. I have a pretty high tolerance, is lecithin necessary? I have no clue where to go about getting any in my area.

4. I use a site called iherb to get a lot of my supplies, from organic flours and my lecithin and coconut oil, to different topical ingredients and essential oils. :) 

Some people benefit from lecithin more than others based on digestion, and while it improves overall absorption for just about everyone, there are some patients who feel only an almost indiscernible increase in strength or the length of their meds effectiveness, and if their conditions and needs are more mild and if they have plenty of canna, it may not really be worth it for them to replace their container of lecithin once they've finished using it. But then there are a great many patients who swear by it, and wouldn't make or purchase medicinal oils without lecithin. If you can find some locally or place an order, it could turn out to be really worth your time, and worst case scenario even if it improves things for you just a little bit, it's still not a total waste and you can just use it up until it's gone*. 

(*Sometimes experimenting with different ratios of lecithin to oil can make a big difference, I know patients ((some of whom started using lecithin only shortly after I started!)) who use much less than I do, and others who use much more, and I definitely believe them when they say it works better for their conditions and needs... our needs and even our digestion can vary! It's why different oil sources and different concentrations can make a big difference, too :) )

5. Thanks for all the great info as usual bks. As i went to post this i knew you were about to come in here and drop an essays worth for me lol. Ill look for some lecithin, if i cant find any im sure it will turn out right. Most of the edibles ove tried were free but havin some general knowledge about it and asking how they made it no one has had a solid recipe and no one dearbs. Ohio is way behind on the edibles scene. Since i never eat any kind of cannabis it should work lecithin or not right? Me and my fiancee smoke anywhere from a gram to 2 grams a day on average (a lot more here in the next few weeks as our bud is curing. Since i havent messed with edibles a lot i have always wondered if the tolerances work somewhat seperately from smoking to edibles or if its all the same. I do know i was somewhere right around the moon when i ate the whole sativa cheeba chew, it said 4 doses but since i knew i probably would never see another one me and most of my friends ate all of it.

I felt like i just rambled a whole bunch sorry if it all mixed together or some of it didnt make sense.

6. Supaa, I got lecithin at GNC. Seems like it was $12-15 for a big jar, more than I'd ever use.