Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Canna-coconut Oil

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Orvellian420, Feb 29, 2012.

1. How much coconut oil should I use with an ounce of herb? Im using the pie dish/aluminum foil lid in the oven method.

2. ^^ This

The general rule of thumb when infusing cannabinoids into oil is to use just enough oil to cover your cannabinoids, then by trial and error, adjust by adding more oil until you reach the desired strength.
    This method initially provides an extremely potent oil, but is very easily diluted to the desired potency by simply adding more coconut oil. :smoke:

Every time I make edibles I find myself fine tuning dosages to fit whatever situation called for.
    If I'm making edibles for friends with a super high tolerance I'll usually make a much more potent hash oil, but if I'm making edibles for patients who struggle with a certain illness I try to accommodate to their digestive requirements with a generally slightly less potent, but much more bio available substance.

3. i made some cannaoil cookies using the same recipe as cannabutter. a dose with butter was one 35 gram cookie. i tried about 3/4 cookie still warm and it knocked me on my butt about an hour later. i now have a dose for pain of 4 grams of cookie, a small bite. so it seems this stuff is 8-10 times as strong as the butter. i gave some to a friend who has knee pain and told him it was two doses, eat half and of course he at the whole thing. he said he was really out of it all afternoon (but rearranged his wood pile nice and neat). anyway, the coconut oil seems to bind much better than butter. anyone else notice this?

4. The coconut oil is a much better digestive/metabolic facilitator, and given that cannabinoids are so notoriously difficult to metabolize, more efficient absorption methods equate to an increase in perceived potency.

5. Where would I find directions for this method?

6. BadKittySmiles has a sticky practically dedicated to culinary cannabis with coconut oil. Should be one of the first stickies in the Edibles forum and she provides more information on the subject than most people even care to know.
    She is the Queen of Culinary Cannabis and I bow down to her.

7. Too long, too complex for me to wade through.

8. Your unwillingness to put forth the effort is your loss. I make ISO hash, then disolve it in coconut oil, and the results are incredible.

9. The first post is all you need. She goes into detail about what's going on. It's a great read. Just use bud instead of hash, and strain when you're done with cheesecloth .

10. @ Sheldon:

I already did read it, twice I think.

I'm at the age (62) where I really don't want to learn anything new; I'm burned out on it, I don't have the passion for it anymore. It's getting time to relax, although I'm still working full-time.

Learning a few things, here or there maybe, but when I get into something like that my eyes glaze over very quickly and I lose interest. But who knows, maybe I'll get a second wind and tackle it, although the quantity I might want to make is a tiny fraction of her recipes.

My feelings have nothing whatsoever to do with her, and I hope she doesn't take me wrong. I applaud her for the time-consuming efforts to make the posts, and for passing along the (often scarce) information. :D

11. @ Fizzly

You asked for directions, I told you how to find them.
    It really doesn't take a whole lot of reading comprehension to skim through her posts and find what is relevant to you.

Whether or not you want to go into processing in that much detail is completely up to you, but keep in mind that like most things in life, you get out what you put in. Cutting corners because you don't feel like following tested, tried and true, methods will only degrade your end results.

Pre-existing knowledge of processing methods isn't a requirement to make high quality concentrates as there are dozens upon dozens of other variables...but going in virtually blind sharply steepens the learning curve.

All things aside, experience is the best teacher.

12. LOL, it's not a reading comprehension problem. I will assume you are a lot younger than me, and therefore don't (can't) really understand where I am coming from.

I've had a fairly unstable love life (including, but not limited to, two divorces), much of it my own doing. I've had two serious surgeries in the past 14 months after 60 years of good health. I've had motorcycles since 1970, but only put 10 miles on it this year and am going to sell it if I can muster the ambition.

As B.B. King sings, "The Thrill is Gone." And not just for motorcycles, but for a lot of things. I've done everything I've needed to do in this life, proved everything I thought I had to prove, and I am burned out, mentally tired. I have no passion left for any great adventures, including learning anything big.

After a 25 year (or more) break, I started getting high again last year, mostly for expanding my guitar playing abilities -- which I did when I was young so I knew that it really works. Smoking again has been a positive, and I enjoy it even beyond the music thing. I smoked tobacco for 30 years (quit in '99) and my lungs are ok (AFAIK) but I do not like the idea of smoking anything. This is why I've been experimenting with edibles.

So far I've been overwhelmed with contradicting information, including from other websites. Opinions, methods, suggestions are all over the map. I'm just trying to sort through it all (without launching a new career in chemistry) trying to get some positive direction so I can get high without fucking my lungs up any more than they already might be.

That's it.

13. It clearly is a reading comprehension problem if you aren't willing to dedicate the time required to follow simple instructions. Just because there are big scary words in a post doesn't mean it's complicated, especially when comprehension of said words is not at all required. Don't be intimidated by the over abundance of information provided, as I said before, find the relevant information and apply it to your situation.

All you have to do is lift your right hand on to that mouse wheel and scroll down.

Life story, not required...lazy people are lazy, and will always be lazy. You say you're not interested in learning something new, but jump head first into picking up your guitar again. If you can't see the hypocrisy in this then I can't help you.

On the flip side...if you're ok with destroying your cannabis and rendering it virtually useless...just dump any old oil onto your bud and throw it in the microwave, this will save you the time of actually processing your product properly...whether it's effective or not.

Just the 2cp of some young, naive whipper snapper. Take it or leave it gramps

14. You could go the easy way and get a vaporizer, something like the Da Buddah?

15. #15 Fizzly, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
    You obviously don't even know the meaning of "reading comprehension." Maybe you should look it up before you use it.

EDIT: YOU are the one that didn't comprehend. Read back, I never said I dropped the guitar and then started playing it again.

As I said previously, it isn't possible for you to understand me -- you're just a punk kid. Someday -- if you live long enough -- maybe you'll get it.

Already done that.

16. Christmas bump![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. #17 Shamallama, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2012
    Actually, you assumed that I insinuated that you stopped playing. I simply stated that you picked it up again, not that you stopped playing in the first place. Though, given your pension for laziness I wouldn't be surprised in the least if you did stop playing. Do you sit around and play songs that you learned when you were young and full of ambition? Or do you learn/write new songs as they inspire you to? My point exactly...

It's laughable that you, an elderly man with zero remaining ambitions, try to chastise and attack my character as if you know me personally in any capacity. You know nothing about me, and I'm here to tell you, judging by your public display of ignorance and incompetence throughout life, this "punk kid" will be on this Earth far longer than you will even be remembered.

I tried being helpful at first, but your senile attitude became your prominent feature from your first few posts.
    Here's a pro-tip, let's see if your tired, old brain can absorb it as I'm sure you've heard this several times throughout your life. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

If you go to online forums seeking advice, take said advice with a grain of salt before you discount it as trash. You obviously know very little, probably absolutely nothing, about edibles and Cannabis in general. Your ignorance is your own fault and will continue to be so until you educate yourself. Your self-inflicted learning disability is quite perplexing, yet comical and sad.

Da Vinci once said, "Iron rusts from disuse, stagnant water loses its purity, and in cold weather becomes frozen, even so does inaction sap the vigors of the mind."