Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Canna coconut oil questions??

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by cariannx806, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Just a few quick questions..

I have about an oz of bud to play with and am considering making canna coconut oil.
    I've made cannabutter before on a stovetop, with water, butter and decarbed buds. I then froze out the water and separated the butter from it, reheated it just so it melted, and stored in it butter stick molds I got from amazon. I didn't really love the outcome and am looking for a new and more efficient way to make potent edibles.
    The butter was OK, came out a light green, and some people really liked them, but I am reading online that coconut oil absorbs THC best. I also read that cooking it on low over an elongated period of time is better??
    I've collected information that ranges in 45 min cooking time after decarb- with all matter inside of a mason jar within a water bath- to leaving it all in together overnight, then straining and freezing to separate the oil and water.. I've also read a ton about lecithin and am super interested in using it the next time.

All in all, I might just need one solid recipe someone has used. How much bud do I need to use to make oil using 4 sticks worth- or 1 pound of coconut oil, potent? Does the 1 pound of butter to 1 oz of flower still stand? Which method should I use and for how long? Should I cook with the mixture in water, or in a water bath?

Help please, I am super passionate and have been reading threads for days, ripping my hair out lol. I live in an area where there isn't a community to turn to to ask questions. Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  3. #4 BrassNwood, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Decarb first. 240 F for 40 minutes. Weed on cookie sheet uncovered.
    Grind to dust.

5 grams decarbed cannabis. Kief, Hash, Concentrates or Powdered buds
    2.5 teaspoons Coconut oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lecithin. ( any kind )
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes.
    Done.

Fills about 30 (0) sized capsules.
    80mg with hash or better.
    25mg with good buds.

[​IMG]

I take this stuff every day for my medical issue and it's very potent so take care with your initial dosing. Start with a 1/4 cap. Say 5 drops worth. Wait a full 2 hours to see where it puts you before adding more.
    Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads
    BNW

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. [​IMG]
    I make my oil from Dry Ice Kief and it's so strong I make up 1 drop capsules for new users to dial in their personal sweet spot dose. After the first few uses they'll tell me how many drops to add to the next round of capsules I give them. I'd say most people are around 5-7 drops.
    Low dose users like my wife find even 1 drop to be to much and I make a special thinned batch for her use.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. How could I incorporate this in edibles?? Shouldn’t it be infused for longer than 40 mins to extract the most THC?? Sorry, I just ran across your posts a few times already and am a little confused

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. This oil is ready to use as it is. Take the cap as it is, or squeeze it in your ready foot.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. You would just add the oil, weed and all, into whatever recipe you are using, if it called for a half cup of oil, add your infused oil + whatever amount of regular oil you need to add up to that half cup. The two 20 minute cycles at 220 after decarb will extract most of the THC, and if you leave the herb in the oil (which is why he says grind to a powder) it will make the edibles much stronger, you lose a lot when you strain the herb out.

8. After an optimal decarb, one of which is 240 F for 40 min, the herb is as potent as it will ever be.
    But it isn't well digested, and some infusion might be needed for that.
    More heat applied to perfectly decarbed herb will reduce its potency slightly, but oil protects the thc to a large extent.
    BrassNwood's method increases digestibility, and not much time is really needed to infuse.
    I frequently make cookies using a modified version of BrassNwood's method.
    Here's a version of it tailored to 30 cookies of about 40 mg thc each.
    (1) Decarb 7.5 g herb @ 240 F for 40 min.
    (2) Grind to fine powder.
    (3) Combine herb, 3 to 7 g lecithin liquid (exact amount immaterial), and the recipe oil (which can be any amount) into a heatable/freezable container.
    (4) Quickly pre-heat mixture to 220 F on a stove top, then bake at that temp for 20 min.
    (5) Freeze the mixture for a couple hours or so, then thaw.
    I carefully weigh out each cookie and put the dough into silicone mini-muffin trays.
    This method leaves out the BrassNwood's second heating, which is assumed to be done during the cookie baking process. Otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Whole herb does bother some stomachs, but using it is much more potent than using strained oils.
    Depending on cookie size there might be slight herb taste.
    Making tincture first will remove some, but not all, herb taste.

9. Decarb = 240 F for 40 minutes
    Processing = 220 F for 20 minutes

Long processing degrades THC to CBN in my opinion and is good if you need sleep. I've been making this same edible oil for several years now and I want it as get up and go as possible and still get maximum effects from it.

20 minute processing is all that is needed. The freeze and reheat helps soften the gritty mouth feel mostly. Can be skipped with no loss in strength.

Hallucinating Hash Capsules for Hemp Heads

[​IMG]

This is done with Dry Ice Kief and is up there with the strongest edible oil possible per drop.
    Hell my wife can't even do a single drop of this stuff without tripping out so I thin it way down for her use.

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  10. #11 Wake'n Bakester, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    If you want plain canna cooking oil to make recipes with, you can use the 1 oz weed to 1 lb oil method. Use less oil or more weed if you want stronger meds. I normally add an extra 1/2 cup oil to compensate for what remains in the buds after straining.

I used to melt the coconut oil in double boiler on the stove top with decarbed then coarse ground weed. After about 1 hour on low heat the oil will be somewhat fully infused. (take a teasspoonful and then wait at least 2 hours to see if it hits you. Typically this short heat oil hits me quicker, and fades faster..... but takes longer to hit with extended heat and freeze cycles, though the effects last longer once they do hit, and pain relief, sleep is much more pronounced .)

After 1st heat cycle I would then let it all cool off, take the stainless bowl with oil and herb and freeze it until solid, then reheat it and let it infuse another hour or so. The more times you heat and freeze, the more sedation aND less racy feelings occur in edibles with the degradation of thc.

I use a fine mesh metal coffee filter to strain out the solids while it is still warm. (leaving it in hurts my stomach as well as others who use my edibles, plus I don't enjoy the grit, so I remove the heavy solids, but don't worry too much about fine sediments that pass thru the filter). Immediately after straining I stir in the lecithin and portion out into 1/2 cup containers, and store in my freezer.

Recently I got a mini crockpot with removable crock, and don't bother to do a double boiler method. I like that I don't have to babysit it. Keep it on low and the method is the same (I remove the crock from the heating element for awhile to cool off before putting it in the freezer)

I also tend to save all leftover solids in a large jar in my freezer and can get a decent cup or more from reheating it all with some added oil and water (this is the only time I ever use water in the mix)...same process, and add the lecithin after cold separating the water out and reheat the oil to add lecithin...if you add lecithin with the water still in there, you will not be able to separate them because lecithin is an emulsifier and combines the oil with the water. No bueno.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I’m still trying to figure out how to get to the actual recipe(s) for GD - the links are taking me through posts about aspects of the process & I can’t quite find a clear, current recipe. Am I doing something wrong? How do you find the finalized recipe?

I’ve done some things to increase bioavailability and potency which have resulted in quicker onset and strong effects lasting about 5 hours. I’m not sure if any of these will be what you’re looking for, but my twist on the general recipes is to -break down the bud by hand into small pieces
    -decarboxylate in sealed mason jar at 240 for 60-80 minutes, shaking every 15 minutes to redistribute plant matter
    -let sit for 45 minutes after decarb before taking lid off so any THC vapors can settle back down
    - add enough freezer-cold 95% alcohol to cover the plant + 1/4 inch.
    -shake jar for a minute, then use a power whisker for 15 minutes (seems like a long time, but since you can pretty much just hold the mixer in place and watch tv the whole time, it beats manually shaking for 5 minute stretches). I’ll post a pic of the one I use - it’s powerful & brilliantly useful.
    -pour mixture into sonic cleaner, using silicone spatula to wipe down the sides of jar.
    -set ultrasonic cleaner (I’ll post a pic) to 20 minutes.
    -strain VERY green solution and set aside, do second wash w/mixer in the jar w/plant matter and new alcohol, then sonic stuff, strain again.
    -pour strained alcohol from two washes back into sonic cleaner and add 1 tbs liquid sunflower lecithin, run for 20 minutes to mix the two.

Put back in jar & freeze 24 hours or reduce the alcohol in the mixture by simmering the mix in the jar in a water bath with the lid off.

The sonic cleaner pretty much gets rid of a lot of steps, but I go on to add MCT oil, sonic it all, then let the mix be in the bath for a few hours.

I’ve also started adding 5 drops of copaiba essential oil and 5 drops of peppermint essential oil.The tiny amount of copaiba supposedly increases potency and the peppermint oil makes it easier for the mixture to cross through membranes in your mouth.

12. Oh! I forgot one step! After decarb, use a coffee grinder to make a coarse, tea-like consistency.

13. Optimal decarb for 240 F is 40 min.

Quick, cold washes leave a lot of medicine behind, and any strained-out sludge will be potent.
    Only after at least 12 hours of continuous stirring in 190 proof ethanol at room temp+ will plain cellulose be left behind.

14. I've been looking for an alternative to magnetic stirrer hot plates, and this might work.
    Can it be propped up and left on for many hours?

15. I just recently made some GD and had to clarify the procedure.....

Here is the post where I asked Sam if I had the right ratios, etc.
    post #21837 July 23rd....

I lost my handwritten notes, but is this correct?

7 grams bud decarbed freeze 24 hours
    Two portions of 3 oz everclear (6oz total) freeze 24 hours
    pour 3 oz of EC into the jar of frozen buds and shake 5 minutes
    put the jar in freezer 2 hours, shake again 5 minutes smush it around real good with a spoon, then filter into a clean jar.
    Place strained wet bud back in original jar and pour 2nd 3 oz of EC in.
    Shake vigorously and strain/smash again, combine the 2 batches and filter in a pre-wet with EC paper filter( to get rid of any remaining trichomes and waxes).
    Reduce with evaporation or mild heat.
    ***AFTER REDUCTION, PROCEED WITH DIRECT USE OR RECIPES***

16. Wait so this recipe entails that I don’t strain the oil out of the buds? I leave the bud in the actual matter??

17. Personally yes, I leave the bud in there which is why I grind to a powder after decarb. The batch of brownies I made with 7gs of flower I can't even tell the flower is in there texture wise...taste wise and smell on the other hand, they are a bit weedy! But not straining is going to increase the potency by anywhere from 30-50% depending how well it would have been strained. Keep in mind, some people have trouble digesting the cannabis in the mix, for me it doesn't really bother me