Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Cananbis FOR Anxiety, Indica or Sativa

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by weedidas, Jul 10, 2009.

1. sativa doms or 50/50 sat-ind exacerbate my anxiety. indica dom strains provide relief -- need at least 50% amber trichs though (no early harvest indica)

2. The first thing the anxiety sufferer may wish to consider, before requesting a prescription, is to have a fair ammount of testing done to determine if there is a treatable root cause of their anxiety. For example, a potentially fatal heart condition or thyroid disorder. My grandfather died of untreated Graves Disease, since his doc incorrectly labeled his symptoms as a psych problem. Anxiety can have many causes, and can be a significant symptom of a serious underlying illness. Ruling out physical dysfunction before starting medication may be wise.

Anxiety and Endocrine Disease
    Phobic Anxiety Increases Risk of Sudden Cardiac Death in Women

3. I used to have pretty bad Anxiety with panic attacks and the "the one move technique" pretty much cured it.

Its not like the usual "breathe slowly, think happy thoughts" bullshit.

I downloaded the ebook somewhere for free and read maybe half of it but mainly just the part about the "move". I strongly suggest you try that before resorting to smoking for anxiety. Not saying it wont work but if you can get rid of the anxiety on your own I think you can enjoy weed more after.

good luck!

4. I know 2 other people who got pretty bad anxiety from weed, plus myself.
    Non-experienced smokers commonly report feelings of paranoia... Also, THC lowers neurological action in your brain (resulting in anticonvulsant and anxiolytic properties). The only problem is, those neurons will start firing again at a faster than normal rate in order to "catch up" with whatever they were supposed to be doing.

So if you are one who has a predisposed or latent anxiety problem, this can catch up with you when you smoke too much and develop strong tolerance; since your brain wants more, but your tolerance disagrees. This can cause some pretty bad anxiety for people with compulsive personalities as well.

It's got different effects on everyone.

Those of you who smoke everyday with no ill effects are the lucky majority.

PS. Remeron really helped with anxiety for me since, well... although it may be detrimental to my mental health, I refuse to stop smoking weed every day.:smoke:

5. This is SOO obvious , I smoke mainly sativa's because I like the head high I get, But they even make me get anxiety sometimes, or paranoid ! Indica's will have much less effect on your head, and effect your body more allowing you to relax.

Stay away from Sativa's if you dont want anxiety, plain and simple ! Anything else is false.

:p:D

6. I suffer from the occasional major panic attack, with minor anxiety from time to time. Over the last year I have had major sleep issues. I got my MMJ card and started buying grams of Sativas, Indicas and Hybrids. Strong Sativas would almost always bring on an attack and sometimes tachy cardia. Eventually I found that a nice Indica helped me calm down and get a full nights sleep. For me Af-Pak, Herijuana, Bubba, and GDP have helped me the most. If I am looking for a more uplifting get out of the house high I will vape the Indica.

7. Is anybody familiar with and edible called trents bakery cinnamon roll? I know for a fact that everytime I consume sativa I get anxiety attacks afterwards. Does anyone know if these cinnamon rolls are sativa by any chance? The attendant at my dispensary told me it was a heavy indica..... But I think he was wrong cause I had an anxiety attack 2 days later. Can anyone help with my question.

8. INDICA FOR SURE!
    I have had bad anxiety/panic disorder for about a year and a half. It is a chronic deal. I have them at work, at home, anywhere! It stinks!
    I had smoked in high school so decided to see if pot helped. The first weed I got was sativa and I had a mild panic attack while high. The second batch of weed I got was indica and it works like a charm. It relaxes me not just at night but well into the next day limiting my attacks. I can't believe how well indica has worked for me!!

If you have very bad anxiety / panic disorder I would recommend giving it a shot. I mean hell it can't be worse than having constant attacks.

9. Either type

Sativa makes me really talkative and energetic which makes dealing with anxiety much easier while Indica just makes me not give a fuck

which also makes dealing with anxiety easier

10. For me an Indica dominant hybrid will usually do the trick, although some really heavy indica's are very potent and can actually increase anxiety. For Sativa's they are quite helpful but you need to be more picky about the strain. I've always loved Jack herer, Jilly bean, C99, Strawberry cough and certain OG Kush phenotypes, in that regard.

In general though a mild and relaxing indica is the way to go if you want to slow down racing thoughts or uncomfortable thoughts etc. But a good sativa can give you a great euphoric high and still allow the stimulating head high with a lack of anxiety.

Any of the above mentioned sativa dominant strains help for me tremendously with anxiety while still allowing for complex and diverse highs.

11. I do both. Bowl of Afghan Kush and bowl of Jack Herer about ten minutes later really intensifies the scene.

12. Sativa does not work for me because it is a head high which usually means I start thinking all kinds of paranoid and physicotic thoughts which then triggers anxiety/panic.

The indica relaxes my whole body while also calming my mind and I found that it actually gets rid of my anxiety and allows me to be myself.

13. I have bad social anxiety and a good strong pure Sativa does well for me.

14. if you don't mind me asking how does the attack start?
    I want to see if mine differs from yours mine starts with a heaviness in my chest then my palms sweat and then I get dizzy and shaky

15. it varies with people i tend to have problems breathing when its really bad.

16. Your best bet is try to and target the anxiety without medicine, but if it gets bad or you think its going to get bad, vape a little indica. Just enough to feel some relaxation. I only vape at night and it calms me down. Also keep in mind a Sativa may work for you, but for my body chemistry, it creates anxiety. Try and see which works for you but also work on your issues.

17. It's more about specific strains for me than anything else.

I Think maybe hybrids work the best for me but I tend to get indicas before anything else.

18. sounds about right. I normally will feel short of breath and have sort of  pains in my legs and chest.  dizzy, shaky, sweaty and heart is going a mile a minute.  Pretty much feel like I am dying for no reason at all.  I used to break out in tears but wouldn't really be crying it was weird.

if I could compare it to anything I would say it feels a lot like alcohol withdrawal. at least it normally will only last a few minutes unlike withdrawal goes until you get some kind of fix or totally detox lol.

19. i have an anxiety disorder and am prescribed to lexapro and I definitely agree that indica's better. People say indicas put you on your ass, but if you live in a state that has legal cannabis medically/recreationally, then you just need to make sure you get a weaker strain. I am moving to Nevada(Las Vegas soon). My fiancée and I have both found jobs there when we graduate in spring. And I have a friend whose dad is a doctor who told me that I would get a rec.

20. I smoke Lifesaver to cure my Anxiety and my Back pain...its a good day time bud. Off the charts on Pain, Stress, and Anxiety.  This is a Indica Dominate plant