CanadianBuds 600w MH/HPS, 4x4x6.5 Tent grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 26, 2012.

1. #1 â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2012
    Welcome to CanadianBuds grow journal GrassCity! This is my first ever grow, and decided I would start up a journal to keep track of my baby's, as well I'm looking for any useful input/encouragement. Feel free to give me your opinions and criticism!

Current equipment:

-600w Mh
    -600w Hps

-4x4x6.5 Tent.
    -Large oscillating fan.
    -Thermometer/Hygrometre.
    -Dimmable Ballast.
    -MG 12-4-8 for veg, Plant-Prod 15-30-15 for flower.
    -Soil is peat, perlite & compost. About 30-50% perlite.
    -Using dechlorinated tap water.

Things still needed:

-Humidifier
    -Exhaust/Intake fans
    -Carbon filter

To see my most recent setup, check out my latest updates! All criticism/input is welcome! Thanks for stopping by my journal!

2. May as well start with an update! They are currently 13 day's from breaking soil, 2 of them seem to be growing like weeds (lol) while a few others are taking there time. Only problem I've encountered so far is some yellowing on one of the seedlings, from the soil they where in before (Time released, see last pic). I believe the reason the seedlings are growing slower, is because I had to transplant when they where very young to get them out of the time release soil.

Attached Files:

3. #3 Ronald U. Swanson, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2012
    Dude.. SICK SETUP!

And so far those leaves are lookin healthy, the yellowing you were talking about is probably due to the soil being to rich (i dont know too much about leaf health/color specifically so dont believe me, im only speaking from what ive read on the subject).

Are you using any nutes?

And if you are using snow for purity, you could boil water to remove impurities, or buy distilled water (which is water that has most of its impurities removed by boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container)

Also, are you taking into account the light spectrum of your bulbs?

4. #4 â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks man! I'll try to get an update on them tomorrow, they've grown a fair amount.

Yeah I was pretty sure it was from the time release soil I began with, so I got them out of it right away.

No nutes yet, they seem to be doing fine without right now, so i'll leave it to them to tell me when there ready to be fed lol.

I was using distilled water for the first week or so and realized how much of a hassle it would be, seeing as from what I've heard once they get big they can take up to a gallon each feeding. That's a lot of water jugs lol. Right now I've just been leaving tap water out for 48-72 to rid of the chlorine. Boiling it would probably be a good idea too :p

Oh yeah I forgot I have a mix for the spectrum. 3x6400k = 75w, and 7x2700k = 90w
    So far the mix of the 2 spectrum's has been working really well. Although for some reason temps have suddenly raised to 77-81, when it's been sitting at a comfortable 70-77 this whole time, and I haven't changed anything. (I run a daily max/min on the thermometer)

Also, it drops down about 10-15 degrees at night, that's not bad is it? It's normal in nature to get cooler at night so I couldn't see it being bad. I could be wrong though.

Edit; Just checked it out. A 10-15 degree drop is actually healthy, and recommended for the plants. Just an FYI for all you!

5. Cool man, yea wait like 3-6 weeks for nutrients and go HELLA LIGHT on those bitches especially at first, only use like 1/4 nute dosage from what the bottle says. The plants are too fragile for most nutes recommended usage.

As for the water, its does get pretty annoying having to water large amounts but you gotta do what you do lol i have a 3 gallon steamer pot thingy that works perfect to boil a lot of water. Buying water gets "expensive" too.

I dont see the temp dropping being an issue. You temps probably fluctuate due to your room/house temp (that explains the nighttime drop at least). Maybe keep a fan or two circulating the air OUTSIDE of the grow box, but im just makin that up off the top of my head lol. The only way i could see the temp mattering is that Ideally you are looking to maintain 75F during the lighting period and ~65F during the dark period so any temp changes wont do damage, but may inhibit the plants true potential (minuscule). Also keep your humidity around 50% ideally.

FYI quickest way to lower temp, obviously, remove least essential light bulb. Keep that in mind incase your temps go outta control one day. Keep fans on separate circuits, if possible, to reduce risk of all fans cutting out at once

6. Haha word, the last thing I wanna do to these ladies (hopefully their fem's :p) is burn them.

Sounds like my temps are about right, which is good. Now to get a damn humidifier...I can't get the humidity above 20%, no matter what I do. Luckily it hasn't affected them so far, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A couple of times I've had to resort to taking some lights out, but the days/nights are slowly getting colder here, so it's starting to sort itself out.

I'll definitely get an update on them tomorrow!

7. #7 â’¸anadianBuds, Nov 28, 2012
    15 days in and 2 of em are growing pretty fast, others are hella slow though. Still no problems yet, hopefully this keeps up (knock on wood).
    Pic 1 is of the new setup to make room for the bigger pots.
    Pic 2 & 3 are of the biggest plant, I'll call it "Big Bertha" :p
    Pic 4 & 5 are the second biggest. I'll name it Average Joe, Joe for short lol.
    Pic 6 & 7 are the smallest of the 3, It's name will be Tiny Tim. And finally there's the runts, that seem to be growing very, very slowly. Not like i'll have room for them anyway though. Also threw in an extra pic of some Purple Kush I'm :bongin: right now. Let me know what you guys think of my babies so far!

Attached Files:

8. No ones interested? I'll try to get updates up every 2 days for anyone who is :p

9. Im following you, dont feel alone lol. Not bad for day 15 under cfls. When you upgrade to led/hps/mh you'll realize what your missing. At 15 days under my I am pushing 6" with 4-5 nodes.

10. Also, I've had successful times with 75f off temps and up to 87f on temps.. As long as your not 95+ you are in the clear. Some say 85 but tried and true, stunting comes around 95

11. subbed. nice setup for a first grow.

12. Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure the reason the seedlings are stunted, is because I transplanted them into the same size cups, just new soil (beginners mistake, wanted to get them outta the time release crap). Hopefully by next grow I'll have everything I need, including new lights. I'm off to work for today, but I'll try to get an update either tonight or tomorrow. :wave:

13. yea transplant can cause a momentary delay in growth

14. #14 â’¸anadianBuds, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    17 days in, and finally got time to do another update! So far so good, everything is still going smoothly (IMO). Let me know what you guy's think.

Pic 1&2: Big Bertha. Still goin strong.

Pic 3&4: Joe, still bein average.

Pic 5&6: Tiny Tim, takin his sweet time.

Pic 7&8: The little ones. Wtf is this one doing, anyone know?(pic 8)
    Pic 9: Some more Purple Kush I picked up today. (I really wish I had a better cam than my phone) :bongin:

Attached Files:

15. Hell yes! Just ordered a 48" x 48" x 78" Grow tent!!! Gonna order a 600w Metal Halide (4200k) and a 600w HPS (2100k) for vegging & flowering as soon as I get a chance too. Things are about to get real!

16. i run a 4x4 tent and 600w HPS, you will be good to go!

17. I'm looking forward to it that's for sure. How many plants do you have in it? I was thinking of just doing 4, in 5 gallons.

18. #18 â’¸anadianBuds, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2012
    Tent arrived today! Unfortunately I can't order the lights till the 15th, so they will have to stay put for another 10 days or so. Here's a link to the light/reflector I'm getting. Will this be enough light for 4'x4'x6.5'?
    Grow Light

Pic 1 & 2 of are Big Bertha. I fed it 1/4 strength nutes last feeding, and she seemed to explode with growth from it.

Pic 3 & 4 are the average plant.

Pic 5 & 6 are of Tiny.

Pic 7 & 8 are of the runt.

Pic 9 is of the new tent! :hello: (Nothing in it obviously)

Big Bertha is 24 days old, the others a little younger. All the plants where fed a 1/4 strength dose of nutrients last feeding, except for the runt, and so far seemed to have loved it. Their gonna need more water tomorrow, but I'm going to give them straight water, no nutes. Let me know what you guys think!

Attached Files:

19. Sweet man, I'll defs sub, I'm interested to see how the Hash plant turns out!
    Tent was 130, with free shipping off eBay. Just need the lights now! Sucks they cost even more than the tent though...