Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Canadian Cannabis laws

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Skinless Wonder, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Hello, as a semi-new Canadian. I was wondering where I could go, or if someone could lay em on the line.

Canadian Cannabis laws, and traffic stops.

I'm kinda fuzzy on them myself, so if someone could lend a hand, and possibly illuminate others, that's be great.

2. You know, you could probably save some time by doing a quick Google search rather than waiting for someone to psot something.

3. Yeah, I searched it, and only became more confused.

Apparently there is no law to be broken if in possession, but will still be taken in.

It hasn't been decriminalized, but the law to punish you was found to be unconstitutional, had to be redrafted and never was. So due to lazy lawmakers, there's no law to punish you.

Canada is a strange place.

4. While it is still illegal in Canada anything up to an ounce will probably just get a fine if your straight with them. If its like a quarter to a half ounce most the time the cops will just take it and crush it into the ground and be on there way.

Just don't be stupid and heatbag and there is no reason to get in trouble for pot in Canada, where you livin anyways?

5. awesome

6. Oh and if you ever get pulled over and your car smells like weed, the best thing to do is to straight up give i to the cops. One time i tried to say i didn't have any... they brought dogs....we got fucked. But another time i got pulled over and he mentioned the weed smell, so i gave him my quarter and two pipes and he just let me go haha, told me to keep the smoking at my house and not on the road.

7. definitley some good advice.

8. It differs from province to province. But if your not moving big weight there is nothing really to worry about. I am mainly familiar with laws in Ontario.
    If you have an OZ or less the only thing they will do is take you in, or let you go on promise to appear, you will have to go to court and you will either get a fine or do community service for 100h or less.
    If you have less than an eighth on you, they will probably only give you a warning (unless you give them reason to do something more) and take your stash away.
    If your smoking in your car, and they can smell or see MJ smoke, they have the right to search your car and test you on the roadside. It is illegal to drive under the influence. Just be honest with them, and if you have any in your car, your most likely going to loose it. You will be charged with DUI and have to pay a fine, and go to classes to get your license back.

9. BC passed a law allowing cops to to test for pot in your system the same as they are allowed to give you a breathalizer when you are driving now. If you refuse to give a test (they do blood and eye tests i think), it is automatically a criminal offense. This is kinda fucked because if i were to smoke a koint two days ago, get pulled over today and get tested, I will obviously test positive.

This is still a new law so im sure a lot of charges are getting thrown out in court

10. right. :p

11. Wrong, you can refuse to take a breathalizer and it is NOT A criminal offense, however the attending officer can suspend your license for a 24-hour period and wait for a warrant to do the test. For alcohol, generally by the time a Justice of the Peace can be reached and warrant obtained the alcohol content in your blood is below the legal limit. As with marijuana tests, they are not time-accurate so no DUI conviction can be made as there is reasonable suspicion that you were not DUI.

12. Yay for Canada being a land of Potheads lol. :smoking:

Dont forget, we have a medicinal program as well :D

13. so in theory i can be ripped outta my tree driving around,get pulled over, and basically say that i havent smoked anything in the last 24 hours and get away with it?