Canada's laws/regulations on pot.... crossing the US/Canadian border

Discussion in 'General' started by chiefMOJOrisin, Jul 23, 2008.

1. I am finally going to live my lifelong dream of going to Alaska in September. And to increase that amazing trip some, I am driving there....from Connnecticut. It is going to be unreal....

I have everything planned, paid for, and scheduled out.... except one thing. I am weary/concerned about crossing the US/Canadian border with ganj. I know that the laws up there are more lax, but I can't see them allowing people to just enter their country with as much herb as anyone wishes.

One plan of action I had was to, before I go, purchase 3 or 4 new, semi-quality glass pipes. One for the ride from CT to the US/CAN border in North Dakota/Saskatchewan....one for the ride through Canada into Alaska....one for Alaska....then one for the ride home. I dunno. My thinking on that is that when I need to cross a border I can just ditch the resinated pipe and only have the clean ones...which won't stink and call attention.

Which leaves me with bringing actual ganj over the border. Has anyone done it before?? What is it like just crossing the border?? The last time I did was 8+ years ago and it was through a major terminal on the Vermont border.

Do you have to get out of your vehicle when crossing the border?? Or do you come up to a toll-booth-type thing and just give the border patrol your passport/license/B.Cert/registration/insurance... or anything else they ask for??

One option I had thought about was just smoking my brains out on the ride until I reach the border in North Dakota, bring nothing over the border, then hope to find something in Alaska.

If I do bring herb for the whole trip.... that would mean I have to be nervous 4 times. North Dakota/Saskatchewan, Yukon Territory/Alaska, Alaska/Yukon, then finally Saskatchewan/North Dakota. That is toooo many opportunities to get busted without knowing what to do.

Any feedback???

Disclaimer:

(please no narcs)

2. Where in Canada are you driving through??? Cause I would say get bud in Canada. Not only will the bud probably be cheaper but you won't have to worry about getting caught with bud in your car.

3. Crossing the border by car isnt that big a deal. Just put it in your luggage, and not out in the open. You drive up to a booth and hand the border agent your passport. He'll ask you where you're coming from, where you're going to, and for how long. He'll ask if you have any firearms, tobacco or any other contraband, to which you reply no lol.

Crossing into Canada is quite lax, it's going back into the states that can be somewhat annoying, but being an American citizen, I highly doubt they would look too hard.

4. Actually, everything I've read/researched was pretty much exactly what Zonyc said.

You pull up with all the paperwork and IDs ready....the dude asks where your heading, how long, when your coming back, where your coming from....etc.

My route will take me from Connecticut, shortly though NY and New Jersey until I reach I-80...then through Penn, Ohio, Indiana,Illinois ( I am driving straight through to Chicago and spending the night there), Wisconsin, Minnesota, then North Dakota.

I will cross the US/Canada border on US-52 in North Dakota, crossing into Saskatchewan (whhich then becomes HWY-39)....then through Alberta into British Columbia, htne into Yukon Territory. After that, Alaksa-1 and Alaska-97 criss-cross between Yukon and BC until I reach the border of Yukon Territory and Alaska on Alaska HWY-1.

As of now, if I were to bring herb (which I reeeeaaally want to.... I mean, how could I go to such an unbelievable place and not enjoy nature's greatest present in the presence of the greatest nature??) I would buy 4-5 cheap, yet decent glass pipes that I could toss before each border. Then I have a few hiding places in/opn my pick-up where only a dog could find.

I'm not going to do this because I have genuine proof there are narcs and C.O.s on this website....but I used to open up my airbox under the hood, take out the air filter, duct tape the herb to the inside of the air hose that leads to the intake manifold, and get it later. I did that when twice when I drove into a couple festivals. The herb HAS to be in at least 3 bags....because the adhesive-ness of the duct tape tears the bag open. I would wrap it in it's normal baggie....then again in a paper baggie...then again in a ziplock baggie....then I wrapped the whole thing tight with duct tape. Then I taped it to the inside of the air hose....making sure that all the tape was COMPLETELY flat and no edges were sticking up. Getting arrested is worse, but nobosy wants to lose a half ounce of Kush in their engine..... or ruin the engine for that matter.

My biggest worry is that there will be a drug sniffing dog. I can see it in my head..... I approach the terminal....everything is going groovy..... I am talking to the border patrol officer, acting cool.....all the while the officer is distracting me form another officer circling my truck with a sniffer.

Did you, Zonyc, or anyone else see a drug sniffing dog at any of the border crossings??

Something I read online said that the laxidasical nature of border crossings depends a lot on where one crosses. I know that the border crossing in Vermont is one of the most popular....that and the one near Niagra Falls. I looked online and it said that the one I am crossing isn't toooooo popular, but it is a serious pathway for truckers and people from the great lakes region to get into Canada. Maybe I can find a super slow one on a dirt road or something that isn't too far off my route.

Does anyone know of any lax crossings near North Dakota?? (yea right...)

5. i would figure you would want a busy one so they don't have the time or energy to pay attention to some "stupid kids". But just don't look like a fool and stay cool

6. Lol you did all of that for half an ounce of kush? Here's to being careful! lol

Sounds like a pretty good drive. Canada has some amazing bud, but our glass is pretty mediocre compared to what you guys can find easily. This I guess is good since you're planning to ditch pieces.

I've always noticed that lax border crossings are generally in or by small towns. Every time i've crossed into or out of the States and back in to Canada it's been generally the same. Going in to the states you get asshole border agents. Coming into Canada, especially being Canadian, they're nice, ask less questions.

I've never seen any drug dogs at any crossing between the US and Canada before. There are usually so many people at some busy crossings due to the equal dollar now, that they try and move things along quickly.

Obviously it's best to carry one package per border, vacuum seal the other ones twice or thrice, and take your usual safety precautions.

7. For reasons I won't get into, and parents I won't name, I was forced to stay in county jail for 15 days and it sucked absolutely. It's ability to bring down an 18 year old is infinite. After that I had 5 years probation and I did everything possible to avoid even thinking about talking to cops.

8. Last time I went to Canada they only asked for identification, passport or driver's license through the car window. I have, however, heard that they do random searches every so often. If it is with a dog, there could be problems. As several have said, the main problem is coming back to the U.S.

9. If I could have herb for the ride there, and in Alaska..... I would be 100% cool with nothing on the ride home.... cuz I know I'd have some phatty haze nuggetars waiting for me!