Canada Trials Decriminalizing Cocaine, MDMA, etc

Discussion in 'General Forum Feedback' started by Vee, Jun 1, 2022.

1. [​IMG]
    @RMJL maybe time to adjust 'our' ideas of higher drugs at GC? as GC, store & Forum, is a Canadian company

Canada has announced it will temporarily decriminalise the possession of small amounts
    of some illicit drugs in British Columbia (BC).

The province asked for the criminal code exemption after overdoses claimed more than two thousand lives in BC last year. This time-limited three-year trial is the first of its kind in Canada.

[​IMG]
    Adults will be allowed to possess a combined total of 2.5 grams of opioids, cocaine, methamphetamine and MDMA. While those substances will remain illegal, adults found in possession for personal use will not be arrested, charged or have their drugs seized. Instead, they will be offered information on available health and social services
    In its request to the federal government last year, BC said it asked for the drug laws exemption in order "to remove the shame that often prevents people from reaching out for life-saving help".

[​IMG]
    Federal minister of mental health and addictions Carolyn Bennett said on Tuesday that "for too many years, the ideological opposition to harm reduction has cost lives".
    "We are doing this to save lives, but also to give people using drugs their dignity and choices."
    Vancouver mayor Kennedy Stewart said the decision "marks a fundamental rethinking of drug policy that favours healthcare over handcuffs".

The programme will run from 31 January 2023 to 31 January 2026. There are some exemptions to the scheme, which will not apply to primary and secondary school grounds, child-care facilities, airports, or to members of Canada's military.
    BC declared the overdose crisis a public health emergency five years ago, and overdose deaths have since reached historic highs in the shadow of the Covid-19 pandemic. Over 9,000 people have died of drug overdose in the province since 2016.

There have been growing calls for a shift in drug policy towards a public health approach from regions across the country. That has included support for some decriminalisation from a number of public health officials as well as the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police.

[​IMG]
    here: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...sis-service/2020-analyzed-drug-report-q1.html
    Ms Bennett said the scheme in BC could become "a template for other jurisdictions across Canada".
    In 2020, Oregon became the first US state to drop criminal penalties for the possession of some illicit drugs.
    The state saw a drop in drug arrests though there has been debate as to whether it has prompted more drug users to seek help for their substance use.
    Canada legalised the use of recreational cannabis for adults nationwide in 2018.

from here: Canada trials decriminalising cocaine, MDMA and other drugs

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Speaking only for myself and the drugs I have done and all the different people I dealt with, smoking weed is all I need.
    I hope these new laws are a positive for the people who need or want these drugs.
    My thoughts are I don't want to be addicted to anything.
    I also want what is best for everyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Well, maybe there will be fewer cases of young deaths now ? Freedom to choose is always good i think.

I doubt there will be hordes of opioid using people everywhere now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah I remain skeptical of places that decriminalize harder stuff but I'm willing to see how it plays out, I mean I see the logic behind it, and probably the overall benefits outweigh the negatives.

I believe Bad Religion sang it best when they sang "Hey do what you want, just don't do it around me". If people can safely do this stuff in their homes, private property or safe using areas, they are less likely to be wandering around my neighborhood or in public doing it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The way I see it...Weeds been legal now for a while in Canada, the hysteria has cooled some
    and then comparing the 'other drug use and the associated hysteria' - Why not?
    Portugal has been legal for ages...very little has been said in that strict Catholic country

• Like Like x 1
  6. I don't mind, legalize everything... the overdoses will thin the herd of irresponsible users.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. My Libertarian side applauds this. My more rational side wonders if this may turn out not so good. They made Narcan (for opioid od's) available to anyone here to help combat od's. OD deaths actually increased. It gave some a false sense of security. You have to know someone is od'ing in order to administer the Narcan. Most drug users are alone when using, and weren't found until too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. #8 KnoxJulian, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2023
    Decriminalizing drugs is a controversial topic. On the one hand, decriminalization would reduce the number of people incarcerated for drug offenses. Besides, it could reduce the risk of overdose and death, as well as the spread of infectious diseases. On the other hand, it would lead to an increase in drug use and addiction. It could also send the message that using drugs is acceptable. Personally, I think continuing to criminalize drugs wouldn't change many things. Even with prohibiting laws, people will find ways to get their necessities. And I think it's ok as long as they get them from reliable online sources, such as https://legitrcvendorsusa.com/product/acrylfentanyl-powder/. It's their life and health in the game.

9. Most new and more dangerous drugs are created due to prohibition of existing drugs. Look at the rabbit hole psychedelics have gone down. If shrooms/lsd were always legal, would any of todays dangerous party drugs have been created? If opium was always legal, would oxy and fentanyl have been invented?