Canada to eliminate the penny..

Discussion in 'General' started by Mantikore, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Good. Hopefully the US will follow suit. I fucking hate pennies!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4E6SSy5Yg]Canada Gets Rid of the Penny (Huzzah!) - YouTube[/ame]

If you're bored enough (and hate pennies) and want something to giggle to yourself about, take all your pennies and fill parking meters with them! If you manage to fill one, it'll be out of commission until it get emptied. Then meter maids will have a flood of pennies come pouring out when they empty it. Hopefully it'll make them hate pennies and they can bitch about them too.

2. No!! Youll you feed the inflation machine lol I really hate pennies as well.. And have no idea of the consequences

3. I'm blasting Metalica master of puppets whilst i throw all my pennies out my window, Seriously. Master of puppets pulling your strings :metal:

4. I don't think there'd be any consequences of getting rid of it.. They cost more than a cent to make, and they're useless. Maybe if we could still buy things for a penny, but we can't. Remember the half cent? Neither do I, but it was around. They got rid of it back then for the same reasons they should get rid of the penny today.

5. i like this thread...

6. Need to stamp "Return to sender" on it too!

7. I like pennies, just because when I put them in my coin jar, I feel like I've saved up a ridiculous amount. Even though the Coinstar translates it to like $4.37.

Still, I'd like to melt all the pennies down and make penny-colored sidewalks.

8. It's a good thing.... but it really eclipses the increasingly neo-liberal policies in the rest of the federal budget.

I feel bad for young people in Canada right now -- they got fucked by Flaherty. We'll pay in the long run.

9. and it seems nickels cost 11+ cents....this is weird

10. How will people get the correct amount of change?

11. Skunky, I'm coming to Canada.

12. Good question :confused:

13. Right? Would we have to round up or down depending on the change? Shit my job could now require more effort than absolutely none! Just think, Americans forced to learn math, AMAZING!

14. They say in the video how they'll do it. By rounding to the nearest 5 cents. But they also say that for card users, the price would stay the same, which I think is lame. It should be rounded for everyone.

Plus, stores just need to set their prices to be in 5 cent intervals. It's not that hard.

15. i hope they get rid of nickels and pennies in america. pennies are worthless to me, i usually use them to throw at friends when im bored. and i dont like the fact that nickels are smooth on their sides. why do all the other coins have grooves or whatever on the sides and nickels dont? it doesnt make fucking sense

16. Math maykes head hert,

17. Canada has some sense.

18. [quote name='"twitchydude420"']How will people get the correct amount of change?[/quote]

this^

Tax in colorado is 7 cents on the dollar, so if I bought a tea of $.99, it would come out to $1.02

Why should I pay $1.05 if I don't need to?

19. Nice punny.