Canada Legalization

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by dankness420, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Its only been 3 days since the Liberals got into office with a MAJORITY government, so I am sure its still sinking in with most of us Canadians. The Liberal government, while campaigning, said that they would fully legalized the so called 'gateway drug'. No change has come of yet, given its only been three days and they have greater priorities to sort out first, but legalization will happen. Its no longer a question of if, its now a question of when.

There are many positives that could come of full legalization. Although there is not much information to go off of to see how beneficial this could be, but there is some, such as the legalization in Colorado which has been nothing short of success.

A recent article by CTV news who interviewed a Colorado Rep. Jonathan Singer, had nothing but supportive words to say.

“Our tax revenues in Colorado on marijuana have just actually as of last month, exceeded our tax revenues from alcohol for the first time in history,” Singer said.

“I can't say that we've killed the black market here in Colorado, but I can say that we've put a serious dent in the cartel activity in marijuana,” Singer said.

The only "bad' thing he had to say was,
    “As a matter of fact, if Canada decides to legalize, you're going to take a bite out of our economy, so I guess the greedy side of me could say, absolutely, keep it in the criminal market,” Singer said.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/election/colorado-c...

"The opportunity is obvious. There are currently about 35,000 to 40,000 patients enrolled in Health Canada's medical marijuana program. The total market is worth perhaps $80 million to $100 million. If recreational pot becomes legal, the potential customer base suddenly runs in the millions. Dundee Capital Markets analyst Aaron Salz figures the market would then be worth up to $5 billion."
    http://business.financialpost.com/news/agriculture...

"Although it may take years before prime-minister-designate Justin Trudeau makes good on his promise to move forward on recreational marijuana in Canada, Monday night's victory sent marijuana stocks surging, and paved the way for more research and education into medicinal marijuana."
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/...

So with that being said I will be continuously updating this thread with any and all info that I find regarding this topic. Please feel free to post any info that you stumble across, or even your opinions on this subject.

Cheers Canada!

• Like Like x 1
  2. a BC senator gave Trudeau advice today on how to go about doing this and urged him to follow the Colorado model and not have the government interfere much more than regulation, so hopefully he takes that advice!

3. it was a big campaign promise,and thousands are waiting for him to act on it. it will be a big tax grab,but keep me from illegal activity. i'm 51 and don't need a drug possession charge at my age. so c'mon justin hurry the fuck up.

4. This is so great.

5. Soon I will no longer have to partake in illegal activities, horray!

6. I am definitely interested by this prospect, we have to be careful though how it is implemented...Now I dislike this prohibition on marijuana, it truly makes no sense in banning. We have everything to gain by legalizing, but....we have to be weary of government intrusion.

In the sense where I don't want to be put on some list, or further marginalized for my habit. It is weird to say, I am not sure where I stand 100% on this issue to be honest.

7. Prime Minister Trudeau's Policy

Canada's current system of marijuana prohibition does not work. It does not prevent young people from using marijuana and too many Canadians end up with criminal records for possessing small amounts of the drug.

Arresting and prosecuting these offenses is expensive for our criminal justice system. It traps too many Canadians in the criminal justice system for minor, non-violent offenses. At the same time, the proceeds from the illegal drug trade support organized crime and greater threats to public safety, like human trafficking and hard drugs.

To ensure that we keep marijuana out of the hands of children, and the profits out of the hands of criminals, we will legalize, regulate, and restrict access to marijuana.

We will remove marijuana consumption and incidental possession from the Criminal Code, and create new, stronger laws to punish more severely those who provide it to minors, those who operate a motor vehicle while under its influence, and those who sell it outside of the new regulatory framework.

We will create a federal/provincial/territorial task force, and with input from experts in public health, substance abuse, and law enforcement, will design a new system of strict marijuana sales and distribution, with appropriate federal and provincial excise taxes applied.
    https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/marijuana/

8. Thank god i have my passport and live in upstate ny... niagra falls here i come baby

9. As we all guessed the so called "pot stocks" jumped, following the liberals victory in the federal election.

"Incoming Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's vow to start legalizing marijuana “right away” hasn't gone unnoticed by the markets. Canadian marijuana stocks leaped Tuesday morning after Trudeau's decisive victory over Stephen Harper's Conservatives.

Shares in medical marijuana company Aphria were up 6.26 per cent as of mid-day Tuesday, to $1 per share, while shares in Canopy Growth -- until recently known as Tweed Inc. -- were up 5.82 per cent, to $1.78.

Publicly-traded marijuana companies are a new phenomenon in Canada, the result of a change in Health Canada's court-mandated medical marijuana program. Starting in 2014, Health Canada began licensing private companies to produce pot for Canada's medical marijuana users."

"One estimate from ArcView Group last year said the U.S.'s legal marijuana industry is set to skyrocket, from $1.8 billion in wholesale and retail trade in 2013 to $10.2 billion by 2018."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/20/trudeau-ma...

Legal marijuana is coming and can not be stopped. Lets sit back and watch the cannabis prohibition end right before our eyes, its a good time to be alive!

10. I read somewhere that he wants to make the age limit 24 and half ounces will cost 250$ and a gram will be 20$. I'll post a link.

11. Thats fucking crazy, but atleast people will be able to grow it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. #16 forty winks, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  13. Not as easy as just signing a paper, the amount of work legalizing it could take years.

"A Colorado official has some sobering words of advice for Justin Trudeau if he fulfils his promise to legalize pot in Canada.

There's also the matter of how to regulate edible products, which often take the form of sweet treats that appeal to children or are so potent that adults easily overindulge

Another area Canada will need to study is drug-impaired driving. While fatal crashes in Washington only increased slightly after legalization, the percentage of drivers involved in those crashes who tested positive for THC doubled - to 12 per cent in 2014 from 6 per cent in 2010"

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/10/25/u-s-states...

14. yeah I just wanted to see other peoples feedback to see if it's a credible source. I honestly hope it isn't credible

15. I am sure prices will be higher then what most of us are used to, but who really knows.

Obviously we are not in Colorado but I feel like our prices could be similar. Although we should maybe take into account the exchange rate.

average of 25 stores
    Denver Metro Area(CAD exchange rate)
    -1/8 - $40 ($52.61)
    -1/4 - $74 ($97.34)
    -1/2 - $137 ($180.20)
    -1oz - $228 ($299.90)
    https://www.coloradopotguide.com/colorado-marijuan...

I am even shocked by these numbers. Not sure I would even bother going to a dispensary to be honest.