Can You Use MH bulbs in HPS light fixtures

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by almostgrower, Mar 12, 2015.

1. I'm going to be buying some HPS lights soon && I was wondering would I be able to put MH lights of the same wattage in the fixture

2. Nope, just hps in hps ballast, you might get a MH bulb to light up and even stay lit for an extended period of time but Im pretty sure theres no way the ballast can tell its a MH and not HPS bulbs...

3. my ballast is for both

4. #4 killset, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
    You can get ballasts that run both bulbs. Then there's also ballasts that only run mh or only run hps. Just make sure when you're buying 1 that you know what your getting

5. I got a package deal with the mh, hps, ballast, and the hood. I assume it's for both, but now that I think about it I'm not really sure. I got some shit from china ahahah

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Yes, never had a ballast that couldnt

Chef.

7. #7 str8jacket, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015

Jeez, with advice like that, it's no wonder so many idiots are burning down houses trying to grow pot.

MH ballasts and HPS ballasts use different voltages. HPS ballasts use igniters, and MH ballasts have different capacitors.

Unless you have a switchable ballast, it is not safe to run a MH bulb in a HPS ballast.

Burn it up, go for broke. Watch the night go up in smoke.

No serenade no fire brigade, just pyromania.

8. Thanks because I'm a fire bug in a bad way I already almost burnt down my house 3 times so I'm just going to get the switchable ballast

9. Read the ballast. It should specify. All three of mine do.

But don't use a 250 W bulb for a 1000 W ballast make sure you have a ballast to match the bulb