can you transplant seedling into different soil?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Earljones, Oct 13, 2009.

1. so i have a very very sick plant(white rhino) that is getting worse every day....the culprit? i think its my soil...its expert gardener that i purchased from walmart(I was going to get some ffof but there is no place around here that sells it)....the top 1 1/2-2" of soil is completely dry...and directly below that its completely soaked....so im wondering if i can just transplant the plant(not any of that shitty soil) into a diffrent soil (more than likely ffof that ima have to order off the interwebz)....i did attempt this once before with some dirt weed that i had growing in a fish tank and tried to transplant them into seperate pots...2 of them lived for a little bit but then died...is it even possible without killing the plant?? If so anyone care to walk me thru it? =D if it not possible...any suggestions that might help improve drainage or help evap most of the lower water without growing any kind of mold or something like that? I using a 400w mh light that is 2ft away from the top of my plant..i have a fan blowing right acrossed it to help with keep the temp down and to circulate air. Its in my closet..i keep the door open all the time and its on all the time....

if you can see at the bottom of the picture is where i dug out about 2" down to show the wet soil...i havent watered it alot in about 2 weeks...i have given it about 1/2 cup of water every 2 days so the top soil and roots and get some water..should i not be doing this..im thinking about maybe using a spraybottle to water from now on untill it get better

[​IMG]

2. #2 cheesin', Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
    It looked as if your soil was just-soil. Add some perilite (little white things) in there to help promote some air retention and help move some of that moisture around. Earth worms could help as well, but just upgrading your soil would be best. As far as transplanting if there is an established root system then it should be safe. If you do transplant keep in mind some leave it in darkness after transplanting for the stress factor. Hope this helps
    Edit:I didn't read where you said you watered every two days. The top soil is going to dry out...this is ok. Let all the water in the soil dry out then water. This will prevent mold from growing on the roots as well as keep the roots reaching for water as it drys out up top(promoting a healthier root system). Feel the pot when it is completely dry and completely saturated. This will give you an idea of when to water. Or you can go grab a soil moisture stick thing if your not confident

3. the soil has some perilite in it but not much..has alot of big stick type wood chips...i started watering it every 2 days just a little little bit....but its been 2 weeks since i watered it with enough that would get it all wet that far down in the pot....so when i transplant it...what do i do..just fill the pot up with water to release most of the dirt and pull the plant or is it more delicate than that? mind explaining it for me...that would be awesome

4. As far as I know there are several ways of doing this. This is what I believe is the best way (others correct me if I'm wrong). Take your new pot or whatever you plan to plant in, fill in the bottom with some new soil. Take the other contain the plant is in and almost make a square around the perimeter of where you think the roots may be so it will pop out with a chunk of dirt around the roots (best do it with a little garden shovel if you have one), but you dont want to over do it. Place the plant in the new container and fill in the sides with new dirt. Youll want to saturate the new home with pH balanced water. Some will also use root growing powder...I don't personally but you can if you choose too. The object is to create as little stress as possible for the plant so she'll keep right on growin. Also keep in mind that you dont want your root system to receive light.

5. so this morning i transplanted it into a 32oz quiznos cup...cut some holes in the bottom and am praying it lives....i guess ill find out in the next week or so...come friday im going to go seek out some new soil....for the time being its gonna have to live in the cup with that crappy soil...walmart FTL!!! Ill post some pic in the next few days

6. How they lookin?