Can you tell the cops no?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tonyizzle, Aug 29, 2006.

1. If the cops ask to search the car you can say no? I just heard that today. What happens if you tell them no? I just want to keep myself protected :p

2. I suggest you watch this video... before you partake in any illegal activities, it's wise to know the laws surrounding them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmC5wHfCdM

Watch this movie RIGHT now (it's 45 minutes) but it explains your rights.

Short answer, YES, you can tell the cops no.

3. Yes u can tell the cops no but they will almost all the time just hold u and then call a K9. Its better just to let them search u car. Just have a good hiding spot.

4. this is the best info you will get watch the video

and no it is not best to just give up your rights they will not bring in a dog unless they have probable (sp?) cause so do not give them probalble cause

if they dont have probable cause and you say no it is illegal for them to search your car cause they are violating your civil rights

5. nah mate, i have gotten out of many situations by simply denying i have anything/did anything wrong, and not letting them search. (only one time it was drug related though)

6. Bro, watch that video. I knew that in maybe 6th grade, mainly from watching COPS all the time. You should watch and learn your rights, its something everyone should know.

7. is that the same vid that wykid had in his sig for a while? if so then watch that video. ill handel the cops in a whole new way now. most cops know that most people dont know their rights. LEARN THEM AND USE THEM! i got fucked in court because i didnt see this video sooner. (only a traffic violation but still)

8. Sheeps said it.

if you know you're rights, there is usually very little a police officer can do to incriminate you.

9. That video helps out alot but it's not gonna go that smoothly all the time.

You have the right to deny a search.

In some states cops can use a dog on the outside perimeter of your vehicle without

probable cause. vice versa

If they do have probable cause, NEVER admit to anything. You best defense is to say

nothing but "I would like to speak with my Lawyer". Of course this is only if cops

find something.

Cops do have the right to lie and put you in handcuffs without arresting you. They do

alot of scare tactics to trick you into admitting guilt.

10. Yeah, well said.

always ALWAYS: just shut the fuck up.

Don't say anything, dont beg, dont explain yourself, because you're already fucked.

11. I know a lot of this stuff, but I'm going to watch the video right now.
    Anyone know how much of this applies the same way in Canada? Any glaring exceptions I should know about before I make an ass out of myself in front of a cop?

12. Here you go, everything you need!

Canadian Constitution:
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/const/annex_e.html

Criminal Code of Canada:
    http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/text.html

13. LOL. . . . . . .LOL

omgosh, I can't stop laughing, lol. :smoking:

Soon as I read that I started laughin uncontrolably for some reason. +rep for the laugh.

14. yeh hat was a waste of 46 minutes i already knew everything lol, cuz im just smart like dat

15. Good video.. It's a little cheezy in spots, but it's not bad.

Most of it should be common sense, but there were a few good pointers here n there.

16. Big difference between knowing something and being able to apply what you know.

Trust me, it's a lot harder to do when the situation happens.

17. does anyone have a website with laws about police+being able to search you in australia? just so i can come up with something almost foolproof if the situation ever occurs again... a video like the one posted earlier in the thread would be awesome, if there is such a thing... (i've searched, but to no avail.)

cheers.

18. exactly its one thing to know the law but its another thing to know how to apply the law, ive seen that vid a ton of times and each time i watch its jus like a lil refresher course...