can you tell me why my plant is turning purple?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by potdaddy, Nov 6, 2008.

1. #1 potdaddy, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2008
    the leaves on my plant are starting to turn purple the plant is flowering and the cola bud is starting to turn purple does anyone know why?

Attached Files:

2. it depends on what strain you are growing, i read colder temperature may do this to your plant.

3. ok that could be the temp it has been gettin in the 50's in the am we had one frost but i brought the plant inside on that night. it stunk up the house lol

4. my bet would be temp...

5. ya its because its starting to get colder outside, dont leave it out too late man its already late in the season

6. I know that low temp can cause the leaves to turn purple, ok, but what is the actual effect on the leaf and plants overall health? Can the leaves recover after turning purple or do they die? Do they still function when purple as normal green leaves would? Or once purpleing has set in, is overall quality only reduced? I know some plants just turn purple cuz its what they do, I'm talkin side effects of extreme low temps.

7. it will be fine bro same thing happens to my plants in colder temps. its fun having purple buds man everyone will love em.

8. you probly got a purple strain witch if you plant on the outside itll turn purple if planted inside stay the same also purple bud is better than most of the othere:D

9. ..... DUDE just hush.

10. Visually more appealing, not necessarily "better".

• Like Like x 1
  11. Smells different once the cold turns it purp.

12. Mj buds like any other fruit will change aspects in the end of their life cycle. It just means they're getting ripe, like an apple or any fruit. Mj often has beautiful colors in the end: it's a good sign. Don't let them freeze though or the trichomes will pop and your crop will be ruined.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Im in the same situation. My crop this year got stolen and i was left with one tiny sprout i didnt even know i had. In early september. Asuming it would die or not grow enough to produce enough bud to satisfie me i left it alone(i grow big). It kept growing and growing and finaly showed it was female.
    Now its stood about 2 foot tall and nice and bushy. I havnt watered it once nor have i done anything to help it. In actual fact i cant remember planting it(must be a stray seed)
    Its now VERY late in the season and is almost ready to chop. However last week we had a very strong cross wind and the temperatures dropped alot. The buds have taken a very red almost purple colour because of this and i think its great. Sure it may not be a 'real purple strain' But whos gonna know eh?

14. Temp has nothin to do with it. These two Ladies grew side by side all summer & fall. One is Jimmi Hendrix Purple, the other... well see for yourself. They are from completly different bagseed... Its the strain bro!

Attached Files:

15. Yeah purple can come from a genetic trait. The only problem is MOST purple strains are LESS potent. Pretty to look at yeah but... Also temp has a great deal to do with the final color of a mature plant. I can turn any strain in my garden purple just by allowing temps to dip below 60F during dark hours for the last few weeks. IMO Much Love.

16. Does no one remember when you were in school and having to take science class?

If you dont have purple genetics:
    Most/all plants know that its season for living/breeding is almost to an end and stops producing chlorophyll by means of photosynthesis. In some plants, like marijuana, glucose is trapped in the leaves after photosynthesis stops. The decreasing photoperiod and the cool nights of autumn cause the leaves turn this glucose into a red/purple color.

17. I STAND CORRECTED!!!! YOU GUY'S ARE CORRECT. For some reason the ONE plant I had turned purple much earlier than the other in the bucket. Then I gave them to a friend to finish inside. Low & behold they informed me that the other went psychedelic purple after a few day's! Thanks for the good info Munchies & Ganja. I go to my corner & sit on the Dunce stool now.:(

18. yo all these people are dumb as shit...if its not the strain you have its the nutrients you give it...purple is just a sign of high nitrates

19. Walk outside this time of year(autumn/fall) and look at the trees that aren't evergreens, think about what you see...

20. haha i live in florida what is winter? lol