Can you take cuttings that have started to flower?

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by LongboardStoned, Jul 28, 2012.

1. So in a week or so the plant will be around 3 months old. I want to take cuttings, but I think I might have waited too long. I've read on the topic and people seem to go both ways. Some say you can take them anytime, and some say they never root if you take them too late.

Right now, every single branch on my plant has buds starting to form. Even the lower most ones have tiny spots where white hairs are visible.

If I were to take cuttings from these, would they even have a chance?

2. The sooner you take the cutting the easier it will root. This will work but the longer you wait the chance of success goes down. Cuttings in flower not only have to grow roots but have to take extra time before transplant to reverse to veg.

Cuttings are best taken after the fourth or fifth node in veg. The cuttings can be taken up to a couple of weeks before flowering starts for best results. Use actively growing branch tips with new growth, not woody stems.

PW

3. Well thanks for the copy/paste, but I was hoping someone had experience on the subject to tell me if it's worth it or not.

4. he's got more experience that most on this site regarding your question. Just cause he didn't answer your question, to your expectations, is no need to be upset.:confused:

Pointswest is a respected member of this community and meant no disrespect, I'm sure. :smoke: More then likely, only wanted to show you your options

Now to answer ya bro,

yes it's possible, and yes you'll have a chance .

how good are you at cloning? that's probably the most importnat question. if you take cuts all the time .. I'm sure your cuttings will be fine. If you're new to cloning.. make sure you study up, to increase your luck. maybe even use a few different methods to better the odds.

Wharf

PS Street or Surf ?

5. Oh yeah I wasn't upset, I just thought I said in OP that I had already read up on it. Was seeing torn opinions, and was hoping someone could shed some light.

I've actually never taking a cutting before, this is my first plant ever; hence why I didn't think to do it earlier, lol. The following webpage seems to be nice and descriptive, the pictures help.

Cuttings of Cannabis

So, although it might take a while, it should be okay to take some late-flowering premature buds for cloning? I don't get seeds hardly ever from bud in my town, and I don't really want to buy seeds online, so I wouldn't have anything else to replant once this girl's done.

And street for sure, I grew up in Arizona so there wasn't much water.

6. My nephew is going to try it on some of his Cindy99... I'll be sure to re-post in about two weeks to let everyone know how it did...

7. I went ahead and did mine. Both sprouted roots in 2 weeks.

8. You can take them whenever, I wanted to save this one strain and took it 1 week before I harvested. Took forever to root but it was fine. The second poster gave you solid info.

I personally like just keeping moms though, so much faster/easier in veg