Can You Smoke While Pregnant?

Discussion in 'General' started by QD420, Nov 29, 2006.

1. my homegirl wants to know if there is any proven facts that weed harms the baby.

basically

is it ok to smoke while preg or should you stop smoking?

she quit drinkin but she wanna know if she should stop smokin weed too

she dont smoke cigs or drink now but whats da deal wit our fren mary jane?

2. do not smoke while pregnant your baby will end up with problems like me no cigarettes no pills no nothing you wanna be healthy as a Californian Blonde LOL

3. bad idea to be doing anything while pregnant. you never know what effect it could have on the developing fetus.

4. think of it as a long ass tolerance break and when your baby is born light up an o blunt in the hospital room

ahahah

i crack myself up

5. ask her if the high outweighs the effects it could have on her child.

No way in hell would it be worth it imo.

6. If I can give up weed for almost a year, anyone can do it. My baby boy means way more to me than any high ever could. Getting stoned while pregnant is not worth the possible problems that could come from it. Babies start off brand new and need to come into this world with as few problems as possible. Why risk it?

Also...the first high after that long break kicks ass! ;)

7. Nice

"We conclude that the use of marijuana or cocaine during pregnancy is associated with impaired fetal growth and that measuring a biologic marker of such use is important to demonstrate the association."

8. come on man, have you forgotten?

weed=coke=heroin=meth=any other untaxed and unregulated drug

9. I actually believe that marijuana has no effect on fetal growth. Some women actually smoke on purpose while pregnant because they have major problems with morning sickness and they cant keep on weight/ the baby is losing nourishment. PERSONALLY, I dont think it should be done, but as a last resort, I dont believe there is anything to worry to much over.

pax

10. I think it comes down to a very human choice between a mother's recreational wants and her child's future and well-being.

I don't think a balanced rational person would choose to jeopardize the gift being risked.

11. I ended up smoking a bit during my last pregnancy because of the thought of food made throw up. I told my baby doc this and HE told me there was no scientific research that says it is harmful. So I did a bit and felt soooooo guilty because I didn't touch it with the other 2. I tell you where I ran into problems though and that was a big pain in me arse, the nurse phoned family and children services because I was a druggie. They came and did their thing and asked my doc if it was true, that he gave me the O.K
    He asked them to find documents proving it is harmful. I was sent home thank god with my baby. It's not worth it. My last baby was the biggest of them all, he was over 9 lbs. I would Not risk it again.:(

12. As long as you have confidence in your weed (as long as you're sure it's not sprayed with DDT or anything), my guess is, if you smoke a little while you're pregnant it's no big deal. Tantamount to drinking an occasional glass of wine. Personally I wouldn't do it (if I had a uterus; lol), nor would I condone the mother of my child doing it.

The literature suggests regular smoking will most likely have at least some sort of impact on the baby's development:
    The effects of maternal marijuana use on the newborn cry were studied in Jamaica, where it was possible to rule out confounding factors such as the use of other substances and demographic variables that have clouded previous studies and where higher dosages may make the effects more visible. The acoustic characteristics of the cries of 20 infants of marijuana users and 20 controls were analyzed. The cries of the infants of marijuana users were shorter, had a higher percentage of dysphonation, a higher and more variable fundamental frequency, and a lower first formant than controls. There was also a dose response relation between the first formant and marijuana use. We suggest that heavy marijuana use affects the neurophysiological integrity of the infant.
    - http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0009-3920(198908)60:4<765:EOMUDP>2.0.CO;2-Y
    When my ex was pregnant with our first child, we were in the OB's office and she asked him how long she should keep playing tennis. He explained to us that pregnancy is a state of health, not illness, and he told her to play as long as she felt up to it.

That having been said, he also stressed that she should only drink alcohol on rare occasions, abstain COMPLETELY from caffeine, and he advised her not to smoke pot because we don't know enough about its fetal effects.

So my ex completely cut out pot while she was pregnant with both our children. Which I think makes sense.

13. to everyone who thinks shes smokin just to "get high" or to "have fun" its not even like that.

she has terrible cramps , mornin sickness, trouble eatin , and more things.

shes not smokin blunt after blunt and watchin funny cartoons all day

just enough to ease the pains of pregnecy.........

not to mention when she does smoke its like 2 hits and she only smokes like twice a week maybe

shes askin if thats ok , if not she goin to quit completly and deal wit the pains

14. QD40 Go check out the "parents" forum at CannabisCulture there are a bunch of info and first hand accounts from women who faced the same issue. Check it out, its worth a read.

pax

15. Regardless of what some of the people here "believe", using any drugs while you're pregnant is a ridiculously stupid idea.

Tell her to suck it up. If she's experiencing that much discomfort, she needs to see her doctor - not smoke cannabis.

Pregnancy and substance use is no fucking joke.

16. The fact you even have to ask this question worries me a lot: more so about your ability as a parent to take care of the child. :shakes head:

17. aight now yall are pissin me off. this is not my kid shes havin im not even datin the girl its my girlfriends homegirl and she wanted to ask. and who are you to say what kind of parent i am. i dont plan on havin kids anytime soon and if i did i wouldnt let me girl take any hits

i thought yall could help not critize and talk shit

i guess this is the wrong place to ask serious questions

18. Many people don't see it as a "drug". They see it as a God-given herb, with thousands of years of proven medical use. If that's not enough, there have been many modern studies to back that up, and while big money and crooked governments would very much like to find a definite link between cannabis and fetal disfunction, there simply is none.

Smoking is bad, though. A vapourizer would be better, or cookies or something.

-mu

19. ya dont flame the man, hes asking a real question and its not stupid
    weed has minimal, if any real long term, side effects on grown adults (the only people who should be smoking it)
    so, weed would actually be the perfect cure for the pain, sickness and loss of apitite associated with pregnancy, except for the fact that it could effect the baby
    and due to the fact that there iss very little real research done on this, and that it seems to effect the brain, i would say dont do it. it seems like it would be all to easy to hurt or somehow rewire the babies brain in a negative way