Can you say Hmmmmmm

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by trchd1, Apr 16, 2011.

1. I have a small growroom in the basement and I'm using the negative air technique

My problem is that it has such a great seal when I shut the door that I'm getting a humming noise. I goes away when the door is open. I have a 4 inch inlet hole for fresh air intake.
    Do you think I need a bigger hole to reduce this noise? There is around 80 cubic feet inside the growbox

Please help :confused:

2. size of fan... CFM of the fan... size of the exhaust hole.. size of the intake hole....

3. 4inch 220 CFM Sunleaves fan
    4inch exhaust
    3 inch intake hole at bottom of growbox

I have the fan mounted on top of the box from the outside sucking through the 4 inch flexduct that goes from carbon filter>A/C reflector>>fan > exhaust

4. increase the size of the intake hole to a 4 inch...

be prepared to drill a second hole of two inches and possibly expand the hole to a four inch hole...

my guess is you will need a secondary hole of 2 inches to stop the vibrations and still have a negative pressure grow box

5. My exsisting hole has a piece iof PVC pipe(three 90's to keep out light) and is caulked in there pretty good. To make things easier do you think I should just make another 3 inch hole. Or try a 2 inch hole and if that doesnt work goto a 3 inch hole?

Im 4 weeks flowering right now so I dont want to make too much of a mess but I'll do whatever it takes to fix this problem.

Also I got one more question for ya

What do think is the best soundproofing material out there, something really dense?

Thanks Tihspeed!!

6. Hello are you still there????

7. Power supply fan took a shit on my pc....hard to type on phone....do what you think is best for adding more air to the grow space

Dynamat has always worked for soundproofing....but very expensive, what is it your trying to make quiet

8. I think the general rule is you want to have your intake to be twice the size of your exhaust to supply flawless air flow.

9. Wait you only have 1 passive intake hole? That's your problem, you need at least 2 to have good airflow in my opinion, also its more silent as well considering you are using a 220CFM fan, it's like a whistle in your box..... I use about 4....

10. this, your gonna want an 8 inch hole or two four inch holes, or four two inch holes, or 8 one inch holes, or 16 half inch holes, or 32 quarter inch holes. i hope i helped :D

11. Yes it all makes sense now with the whistle in my box type of thing. You all are the greatest Its so good to be able to have helpful advise.

Thanks everyone :wave: :wave:

12. #12 trchd1, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011

Ok now check this out

Installed two additional 3 inch holes to make a total of 9 inches, guess what?

I still have a hummmm, not as bad but still a hummm

But the same situation with the opening of the door. When its open the hummm is gone

How many holes do you guys think I can put in this box and kill the hummming but yet STILL have a negative air system??

Please Help :eek::eek::confused::mad:

13. just stick some felt around the door to the grow space... this should help the vibrations...

if their still there you should consider taking a video of the problem..

i wouldn't drill any more holes

14. Do you mean replace my rubber seal of my door with felt? There is one other thing I didn't mention cause I didn't think it would matter but I guess its worth mentioning now

My A/C reflector actually has 6 inch holes on each side so what I did to make it work for my 4 inch system was to connect some reducers on each end of the reflector and then hooked up my 4 inch duct on each end

Like I said the humm quits when the door is open. As someone before said, your intake should be twice the size of your exhaust

So with me using the 6 inch reducer, could that mean that I need a 12 inch opening?

15. Get some pics in here.....

Maybe with the more holes...can you slow the fan down?