Can you over water outdoor plants planted in the ground?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Deleted member 942883, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Hey all I have two plants outside and 3 foot wide by 3 foot deep holes filled with Fox Farm soil. I see no drainage issues in the soil such as a layer of clay etcetera, it's just dirt and rocks.

Can you overwater a plant in these conditions assuming the drainage is proper? I used to think so even though I've never had issues but some onerecently told me it's basically impossible to overwater a plant when it's outside if the soil will allow proper drainage.

Just wanted to see what everyone here with more experience than me thinks. Thanks all.

2. I have never used FF. I like to grow in the ground. If it is possible to over water, you will try very hard to do it. You will most likely see moss or mushrooms growing on your top soil before you see signs of plant weeping.

If you have been growing in buckets, you will find growing in the ground to be quite forgiving.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks man. It's funny my first grow was in 40 gallon felt pots and I have definitely found the ground more forgiving the last 2 years. Plants seem to be able to go much longer between waterings for sure and I've never seen them get over watered.

When you say you like to grow in the ground, can you tell me how basically how you do it? Do you use any soil or do you just simply dig a hole in the ground put the plant in and use the soil that's already there?

4. I disagree. Very easy to over water. Think about it.......

I would dig a hole in the ground, about a foot deep and wide. Fill that hole with water, and see how long it takes to drain. Then think about your 3x3 hole, what happens when you over water, and how long will it take for that water to drain. If you have clay, its as good as a concrete reservoir.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you, that's been my thoughts all along. I don't have Clay so so I don't have that issue, I will continue watering as I have in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Deleted member 638051, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2018
    I dig a 3x3x2 hoIe and fill it with soil mix. I water from the hose.

I live at the beach. So for every shovel scoop of sand I remove, 3 slide back in. Drainage is not a problem for me, but I still add perlite to my mix. I just about can't make a puddle on the ground.
    However, when it storms really bad there might be puddles for a day.

What I grow in 7 gallon buckets gets 2 gallons every 3-4 days for a mature plant.

• Like Like x 1